14 replies to this topic

#1 kotart13

kotart13

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 06:30 PM

im having problems with my xbox, error code 6 specifically. i dont know how the hell i locked my harddrive, i was softmodding my friends xbox at the time, using my box to prepare his hd, everything went well untill i plugged mine back in, and error code 6 appeared. now my question is, since i have a modded bios (via the chameleon chip) shouldnt i be able to boot up using a slayers disc? i tried to boot up and unlock the hd this way, but the xbox seemingly doesnt give it enough time, and seconds after the logo screen appears, the red light comes on. any help would be great, ive tried booting up using a spare modded hd and everything works great, just cant get my good hd to unlock!

#2 Exzir

Exzir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:18 AM

Error 6 is that your xbox can not unlock the hdd. This is becuase you had it unlocked and placed it into another xbox that locked the drive. You will need to place it back into the other xbox and unlock it or have him run config magic and save his eeprom and give you that save. Then take the eeprom and program your xbox with it and the unlock the drive reprogram your xbox ith your eeprom that you saved before putting his in and relock the drive.

#3 kotart13

kotart13

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:12 PM

well, the only problem im having is, how can i get the drive to read? my box has a chip, so i figured it would read any drive, but its not. i dont have the font exploit on that drive, as i had to delete it to run the chip. im not sure what kinda box i could use to unlock the harddrive, i also have a tsop flashed one i did for my friend a while back.

i dont think any of these boxes will read the drive, is there a way i can do it through linux on a computer? thanks for the help

#4 Exzir

Exzir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:49 PM

Q:how can i get the drive to read?
A:Unlock it with the correct EEPROM.
More Detail:Each xbox has it's own hdd key. This key is used to unlock the drive. This is independant of the bios. You can however use a linux bios and it will unlock a drive if you find you can not get an eeprom to unlock the drive. If you take a hdd from another xbox it will not work if it was locked when removed becuase your xbox would not have the secret key to be able to read it.

Q:im not sure what kinda box i could use to unlock the harddrive.
A:You can ONLY use the box that locked it.

Q:i dont think any of these boxes will read the drive, is there a way i can do it through linux on a computer?
A:Yes Linux might unlock the drive but you would need to power the drive with a computer and then turn on the xbox and run the linux bios and after it unlocked the drive turn off the xbox and run config magic and then lock the drive. Power down the xbox and then power down the computer put the xbox drive back onto the computer and go from there.

BEST SUGGESTION:
Use a save game exploit with the drive installed in to the other computer. And use that to unlock it. That is if you have MA or 007:AUF or Splinter Cell.

#5 Exzir

Exzir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:53 PM

Dude if he has the font exploit then simply have him save his eeprom with config magic. Send over the save and you save your eeprom and then reprogram your xbox with the eeprom but do not lock the working drive but reboot install the other drive run config magic and unlock the drive and reprogram the machine with your origanial eeprom and then lock the error 6 drive.

Working drive is the drive you can boot up your xbox with it intsalled.

Edited by Exzir, 15 December 2004 - 09:53 PM.

#6 kotart13

kotart13

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:54 PM

lol, i didnt font exploit this harddrive, it doesnt boot up in his xbox. i cant unlock my drive using his xbox, as his is a v1.6 and my adapter doesnt fit on his mobo.

i understand everything about the hdd key and eeprom, but i cant get this hardrive to work in any of the xbox's ive tried, it automatically goes to the error 6 screen on mine, and gives me a different code when i put it on his.

im gonna try the linux bios thing and see if it works. i have to read over what you typed again, but it looks like thats the only thing that is going to work for me. i cant change the eeprom or hdd key on the harddrive, if i cant get it to boot. your help is greatly appreciated, i hope the linux bios works so i can change the eeprom.hd key from there.

#7 Exzir

Exzir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 01:45 AM

Ok on his xbox use config magic on his font exploit hdd and save it into a file. Try useing that eeprom and see if you can bring it up on yours. If not then use your hdd as a slave in his xbox and see if that works to unlock it with config magic. The other error code your getting is possible due to a bad ms dash. BY the way what was his error message you got with your drine in his box.

#8 Exzir

Exzir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 01:47 AM

Also all you need is a hdd that will boot the xbox. once you updated the eeprom that is on the xbox motherboard and not on the drive. It is just the eeprom that is on a chip on the xbox not the bios chip but yet another chip that holds the hdd key that you use to unlock the drive.

#9 kotart13

kotart13

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 12:00 AM

i guess i should post how i fixed it, just incase someone searches and finds this post. since i had used configmagic, the hd unlock key was team assembly, which made everything else go very smoothly. i just followed the tutorial for unlocking a hd and prepping it for computer use (boot disc and prep via pc) . i unlocked it, then reset/cleared the epprom. problem solved smile.gif

#10 Buzzjockey

Buzzjockey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 December 2004 - 09:48 PM

I'm a little confused. I think I understand what you did to unlock the drive, but I am having trouble doing the same thing with a locked drive that I don't even have access the mother board or eeprom it came from. I do have a key for it but can't get to config magic with the drive installed. Where is the tutorial you spoke of in your previous post?

Buzzjockey uhh.gif

#11 Exzir

Exzir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 02:20 PM

If you have the key you can use a computer to access it. Or you can use config magic and use the hdd that came with your xbox in drive 1 and the other drive in drive 2 slot and unlock it that way. Another way is to save your eeprom stuff and unlock your other drive and then put the hdd key in and keep that hdd unlocked and then take the other drive and plug it into the xbox and then the xbox will access it. Go into config magic once again unlock it and restore the eeprom.

You can also try to use your computer to unlock it with this program.

http://dwl.xbox-scen...e/hddunlock.zip

#12 goodwin

goodwin

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 31 December 2004 - 04:36 PM

Im in a similar situation too, I have just got a new board and have two orginal MS hard drives, both give error 6 when connected to a modded xbox and wont let me get into evox via boot disk.

What can I do? I can only boot my xbox via a different 120gb hd so would this give me a useable password? Ive downloaded the "hddunlock.zip" file and read about the password, OR are the passwords locked to the hd and not the box?

if I put a locked MS hd into an unmoded v1.0 box it just frags without an error message, is this right?

Thanks

Goodwin.

#13 Exzir

Exzir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:11 PM

Ok the error 6 is that the xbox can not unlock the hdd. The password used to unlock the hdd is not a password you enter into the xbox but rather a key used by one xbox serail number electronic one used in the eeprom. onc serial number one key you can change the serial number ad that will change the key. Or you can hook the drive oup to a computer and have the computer unlock it for you. If you have a modded xbox you then use the xbox and config magic to lock the drive again.

If you are putting a drive in a xbox and it frags then it could be some other problem normaly the xbox tries to unlock the drive if it can not see the drive it will give you an error message and not do a bios dump. That is what the FRAG is it tries to boot the bios and if it can not read the bios or if the bios is not a compadable it will then stop reboot and try agian. this will happen 3 times if after the 3rd time it does not boot it will then stop tring and flash red and green.

#14 GunmetalRazor

GunmetalRazor

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:30 PM

When people say "Use config magic to unlock the drive" If you get error code 6 you can unlock it! because you cannot get past the error screen! I have a maxtor 160gb and a slim stock seagate both with error code 6. I put my PC hdd in my xbox and i got to the x3 config live screen i found the EEprom key for my xbox is it possible to unlock the drive with this???

I have read every post in this thread and everyone says the same thing, I cannot put config magic on my PC hdd. Is there a way of formating the hdd to unlock it. By that i mean if i was to format it in a certain way would it unlock. Just for people with alot of money there is a program that unlocks drives to unlock ONLY 1 drive it costs $48 (28) and 3 drives are $89 (50) it is called A-FF repair station

Thanks

Edited by GunmetalRazor, 18 March 2006 - 03:33 PM.

#15 rapplaya

rapplaya

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:19 AM

ummm since im not verry smart but having the same problem could u guys tell me what those ebrevations are cuz im trying to fix the dang thing lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users