Photo

Where To Get & How To Cpature Streaming Video?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raid517

raid517

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:36 AM

Hi I have seen several screenshots and a bideo of what MXM can do - and on the whole I am very impressed with it. However in all my years of using the internet I have never quite got to grips with IRC. What channel can I find MXM on and how do I join?

Also I would very much like to figure out a way to stream TV from my digital TV card to my Xbox from my PC and record it. (Basically I would like to use my Xbox like a video recorder). I would also like to be able to stream DVD's from my PC's DVD drive, as this seems to vbe able to play many more media types than the Xbox DVD drive.

Does anyone know if this is possible - and if so how?

GJ

#2 jcupp114

jcupp114

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 15 December 2004 - 03:42 PM

look at this LINK and read through this link. Should answer all your questions.

Take care

Jcupp114

#3 Extreme Agony

Extreme Agony

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Movies, TV Shows, XBMC, Computer Programming, Computer Networking
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (raid517 @ Dec 15 2004, 07:39 AM)
Hi I have seen several screenshots and a bideo of what MXM can do - and on the whole I am very impressed with it. However in all my years of using the internet I have never quite got to grips with IRC. What channel can I find MXM on and how do I join?

Also I would very much like to figure out a way to stream TV from my digital TV card to my Xbox from my PC and record it. (Basically I would like to use my Xbox like a video recorder). I would also like to be able to stream DVD's from my PC's DVD drive, as this seems to vbe able to play many more media types than the Xbox DVD drive.

Does anyone know if this is possible - and if so how?

GJ

for your IRC question...

goto www.mirc.com click the download link
install it...
run it
set it up by following the prompts...
also there are plenty of tutorials on the net for setting it up

for you video capture on the xbox...
it would only be possible with a version of linux
installed on your xbox and a usb video capture card installed in it..
the xbox doesn't have a video input on it...

smile.gif

#4 raid517

raid517

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 12:57 PM

It's not about video capture - it's about streaming video via a PC/ethenet link to the Xbox. I can easily set up a streaming digital TV server on my PC using Kaffeine or VLC - the problem is how to capture and decode those streams on the xbox? Obviously you don't have a video in - but you do have an ethernet in/out - which in many ways is even better.

The problem is I'm not sure if there is an Xbox application that is able to capture and decode local network streams. I know you can do it via the internet - but I'm not sure what sort of quality you are likely to get as the codecs on some of the apps I've used only seem to support highly compressed video, like wmv. or wma, or real media, or mp3 or whatever. Ideally I would have a client and server type application with the server running on the PC and a client running on my Xbox. Hopefully this would allow some kind of channel changing/volume control/recording/live TV pausing capability via the Xbox remote too - as I guess it would be pretty simple to pass commands to the server via the client over the network.

It would just be neat to be able to set up my Xbox wirelessly so that I can take it and use it to watch TV and videos anywhere I want in my house.

GJ

#5 raid517

raid517

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 11:04 PM

This is what I'm talking about. Boy would I LOVE this:

http://www.softwareo...oduct_Code=5678

The only problem I envisage is thatI live in the UK - and I can't figure out why you can't buy this in this country.

It's just a DVD an IR reciever and a remote. I already have an Xbox remote - so my guess is that the Xtender remote is just a somewhat better version of this.

Of course it would be cool if MXM or any of the other Dashboards could do this... but I doubt they would be able to work in quite as intergrated a way.

Still, it looks like MS has taken a leaf out of the Xbox modder's book....

GJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users