X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 07:59 PM

1. I am buying an x-box

2. What chip should i get ??

-I want to be able to make backups of games on my harddrive

-I want to be able to play roms

-I want to have a different dashboard (i think executer?)

3. I've heard alot about a cromwell , which makes all this stuff i want to do impossible?? anyone know anything about this?

ANY RESPONSE IS APPRECIATED

#2 sayguh

sayguh

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:09 PM

Ok, if ur trying to save money, you can look into soft modding your xbox. Or buying a cheap chip for about 30 bucks. Depends on how daring you are. If your completly new and want an easy to use chip that's very beginner friendly then you should look into the Xenium Ice.

Another thing that a beginner wouldn't know is that there are many versions of xboxes. Xboxes 1.0 - 1.5 can all have mod chips installed with no soldering. New xboxes are version 1.6 or 1.6b which do require solder. (and yes i know about spider but does spider chip deal with extra current through bus?) Spider is a solderless chip for 1.6's but recently a problem with 1.6's has been found that most modchips don't account for. More current than should is flowing through one wire causing a much shorter life for your xbox. Xenium chips claim to not have this problem.

I'd say all chips, and softmods will let you play roms, back up games, and run any bios or dashboard. Again though, with 1.6 xboxes, you are limited to the bios' which are compatible with 1.6's which is pretty much only m8 (which is a good stable bios and is not a problem with what you are trying to do with it)

Hope this helps.

#3 Big_L

Big_L

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:09 PM

1. you are buying an xbox

2. read about the different mod chips and YOU decide which one you want to buy. most common are the Xecuter 3, and the Xenium ICE. Both are very good chips and you will be happy with either one. There are other options, but you'll have to read about those yourself.

- any chip will let you play backups
- any chip will let you play roms
- any chip will let you boot to unsigned code. "executer" is not a dashboard, it is a misspelling of the team that makes modchips, and other varios xbox related tools.

3. just read....cromwell is a linux based bios built on most chips (except the xenium ice, which has its own OS). Its legal, allows you to install linux, and allows for the chip to be reflashed.

#4 Flexside170

Flexside170

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:03 PM

you sound like a solderless kind of customer. no offense, but it's easy to put in and easy to flash with a new bios. I recomend a 2.3 lite plus or have someone TSOP your xbox for you. TSOP does the same thing as a chip, but you don't need to buy a chip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users