Photo

Jeesus, How Int He World Do U Guys Solder So Well?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 djlobes

djlobes

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:04 AM

im sittng here trying to solder for the first time. IM soldering resistors on the leds for the controller dongle mod and I just cant do it! How do u guys hold everything? what am i doing wrong? any tips?

p.s. already burnt myself! mad.gif

#2 s0ftm0d

s0ftm0d

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:07 AM

It takes a lota practice. Don't start with something that small, use some old board and wires.

#3 Vileaerok

Vileaerok

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Mods.... mostly computers...

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:07 AM

well i learned in school, but yeah... burns are a pain. You will see that tinning the wire or appliance your working with helps. other than that i do my soldering on my kitchen table without (key here) holding what i am working on. it helps when your working with over 100 degree heat and holding the metal your trying to work on happy.gif. thats the way i do it happy.gif.

Oh and you could make a stand with wire with little roach clips to hold what your working on. that works well, just make sure they help and not damage. (sorry about roach clip reference i just couldnt think of what to call them... oh.. i guess clips.)

Edited by Vileaerok, 16 December 2004 - 06:09 AM.

#4 djlobes

djlobes

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:11 AM

lol, i got plenty of roach clips. but seriously, i made like a little thing to hold the led or resistor and im still having a hard time. I did coat the iron in solder before i started. I t may have something to do with the solder i got. Its lead-free silver bearing solder. anybody know if thats alright to use?

#5 -=RepDetect=-

-=RepDetect=-

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:13 AM

Go to radio shack and buy some thigs called helping hands, i'll post a pic if I can find one. They work wonders and they even have a soldering iron holder on them. wink.gif

#6 lunatic0222

lunatic0222

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Lacrosse, Dirtbiking, Xbox, Computers, Hockey, Football
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (djlobes @ Dec 16 2004, 07:14 AM)
lol, i got plenty of roach clips. but seriously, i made like a little thing to hold the led or resistor and im still having a hard time. I did coat the iron in solder before i started. I t may have something to do with the solder i got. Its lead-free silver bearing solder. anybody know if thats alright to use?

make sure your solder, has uhhh flux or resin in it i forget which one is better,but yeah otherwise dont expect your solder to stick

#7 -=RepDetect=-

-=RepDetect=-

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:18 AM

Here's a pic of some but the ones at Radio Shack have a soldering iron holder and are over all better than these. tongue.gif

user posted image

#8 djlobes

djlobes

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:20 AM

god this sucks. I dont have aproblem getting the solder to stick, i just cant make a good solder cause i cant hold everything at once. AGGHHHH

#9 lunatic0222

lunatic0222

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Lacrosse, Dirtbiking, Xbox, Computers, Hockey, Football
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:21 AM

got any vice grips around the house? try those

#10 ahoatam

ahoatam

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Xecuter 2.3<br />80 Gb HDD<br />XBMC Dash<br />JP1 remote<br />12V 80mm Fan<br />Internal auto-switching DVD

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:22 AM

The solder should have flux, but you should also be using a flux pen. It's good for detail work and also good to have flux to clean your iron now and then. I cannot stress enough that flux-in-solder isn't enough and you need good flux to conduct heat and therefore solder.

Also remember not to use plumber's flux. It has acid and acid is bad. Use electric/electronic flux. Whatever Radioshack seels is fine. Remember too that flux is poisonous so wash your hands, kids.

#11 silvia Ks

silvia Ks

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:23 AM

^^ i have the helping hands. man it sure saves me alot of time in soldering.

#12 djlobes

djlobes

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:26 AM

well i got the led and resistor soldered but it dosent look pretty. How do i know if my solder has flux in it? it says lead free.

#13 Vileaerok

Vileaerok

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:27 AM

QUOTE (-=RepDetect=- @ Dec 16 2004, 07:21 AM)
Here's a pic of some but the ones at Radio Shack have a soldering iron holder and are over all better than these. tongue.gif

user posted image

i made my own out of those bendy straws and a suction cup at the bottom to hold it on the surface i am working on happy.gif. im cheap biggrin.gif the whole thing cost me like... 3 dollars.. at my school they were charging $20.

#14 Cold Fuzion

Cold Fuzion

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Modding,Movies,Games
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:32 AM

all u gotta do is place the legs of the resistor and led leg next to each other on a table..then melt some solder ABOVE the legs so it drips on the legs then spread the solder around the legs with the iron. this helps the legs from moving while soldering..since the iron dosent touch untill the solder is on the legs

#15 Vileaerok

Vileaerok

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE (Cold Fuzion @ Dec 16 2004, 07:35 AM)
all u gotta do is place the legs of the resistor and led leg next to each other on a table..then melt some solder ABOVE the legs so it drips on the legs then spread the solder around the legs with the iron. this helps the legs from moving while soldering..since the iron dosent touch untill the solder is on the legs

i find that harder, sometimes i ruin things i am working on by doing that..... because it will actually stick to the working space if its clean (which mine usually is). The hands are a worthwhile investment. Or make your own. but to each his own! happy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users