#1 Mattssogay

Mattssogay

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:30 AM

This idea is from mdfirefighters Non-standard Lcd Installation Tutorial.His information is great and I will quote from it.I put all the information that is scattered around on this forum and put it one place, that way when people ask we can just link them to the one thread.
I realize this won't keep people from asking the laptop lcd on an xbox question,however it would be good to link them to a thread that doesn't have info then flame then more info.(Not that either side is right or wrong)

Q.01 Can I put my laptop lcd on or in my xbox?
Keep in mind that he's saying its a tad bit easier than impossible.
QUOTE (twistedsymphony @ May 31 2004, 10:45 PM)
it's not impossible.. it's actually a tad (a tad) bit easier than most make it out to be...if you're really really REALLY into using it for something check out this project log:

http://www.pcclub.co...8&threadid=2611

and the LCD controllers can be had at:

www.earthlcd.com

make sure you're looking at the right stuff, the controllers really only work with certain screens and the standalone VGA to LCD converters are even more limited than some of the PCI to LCD converters.all in all you'll probably be just under breaking even with the controller cards vs. buying a flat pannel monitor outright. the only real advantage is it's a bit thinner, even after the controller cards, and you can say you did one of the "impossible mods" it's definilty a lot of work and a lot of money though.

have fun  beerchug.gif  pop.gif

Other Links to info on Laptop LCDS:
Slashdot article on using old LCDs
http://ask.slashdot....7&tid=137&tid=4
Eio Discussion on using laptop LCDs
http://www.eio.com/lcdconnect.htm

Q.02 Can I use my PDA,PocketPC,Cellphone,Gameboy,GBA,GBAC,GBASP LCD in my xbox?
QUOTE (mdfirefighter @ Oct 25 2004, 06:54 PM)
This thread is inspired by a tutorial from the TSOP

forum.

What we are trying to do is install an LCD from a non-standard sourse. When I talk about non-standard I'm talking about Cell Phone screens, Laptop Screens, Gameboy SP screens, etc. And when I talk about LCD I'm not talking about ones that you would use with an X3 or Smartxx, I'm talking about Full Color Video screens (ie. hippad)

Now that we have a background and intro we can start the tutorial its easy and only has one step.

Step ONE:
There is NO FESIBLE, INEXPECSIVE WAY TO INSTALL AN LCD THAT DOES NOT COME STANDARD WITH VIDEO

INPUTS. This does not say it cannot be done, but you will end up spending insane amounts of money ($300 - $1500 US) to make them work. Plus all the research you are going to have to do to even get the wireing right.

I really wish we could do this inexpensively and easily, I have 4 laptops that would love to donate their screens to an xbox. Alass, they cannot.

If you want to spend the time and money to get this done, we (the universal I) will all give you mad props for an awesome job and life will be great.

I hope this helps out everyone due to all the recent questions being asked on the scene.  Goodluck.  beerchug.gif

MDFF

Q.03 What can I use that would be the least expensive/hassle?

-Smaller Graphical Based LCD's(Hip Pad, Intec)
user posted image
Sappers Hip Pad Tutorial
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=289355

Barcodes Trials and Tribulations with a Hip Pad
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=229753

-Smaller Character Based LCD's(4 lines of text.CrystalFontz type)
user posted image
-Some Modchips come ready to go for these types of LCD's including:
-SmartXX
-Xenium Chips
-Xecuter 3

-This Chip allows you to install a Character based LCD on any modded xbox:
- http://www.divineo.c.../xb-lcdmod.html

-Larger Graphical Based LCD's(Flat Panel Desktop Monitor)
QUOTE (Birdtales @ Dec 14 2004, 09:30 AM)
A VGA LCD monitor off of eBay will be cheaper and are actually much thinner than they look once they are "de-skinned". There are cheapo VGA adapters that have passthoughs on the Component connectors so you can have the LCD and a hookup for a big creen TV. LCD picture won't have the quality of say a VD-Z3 or a X2VGA but those adapters have no passthrough.

Or you could use a 13" LCD TV, I would say this would be in the middle of the other 2 options price wise.

Have fun and good luck!

Oh and for the flammers, it's easier to answer the question and have one more record of the answer for those searchers out there than it is to attack the poster. It accomplishes nothing. Search works if you have a clue what to search for, if you don't more posts with the answer will increase the likelyhood they will have something to find. smile.gif

If anybody has anything to Add/Correct let me know i will see if I can get this thing edited

Thanks,mdfirefighter,sapper,Birdtales,TwistedSymphony,Forta-Kon,Brahm2,Barcode,Cueball13(MIA),and
everyone else that contributes to the scene everyday.

Edited by Mattssogay, 17 December 2004 - 08:32 AM.

#2 nightracer352

nightracer352

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:cars, motorcycles (anything that goes fast) and electronics
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:51 AM

someone always say it but:

PIN THIS NOW

anyway thats sweet now we only have to go to one place i love it thank you biggrin.gif

#3 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:53 AM

I have a little LCD wired down onto my alladin advance chip smile.gif thats not mentioned in your description.

#4 nightracer352

nightracer352

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:cars, motorcycles (anything that goes fast) and electronics
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:00 AM

oh and i just though about this what about the 320(?) line L.C.D.'s that can dispaly picture put are only 2 colors kinda like the x3lcd but more complex

(sorry im not really sure about how many lines)

#5 mdfirefighter

mdfirefighter

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 01:43 PM

Very VERY well done. Thank you for this. Please pin this one up for all to see or someone write the post number down on your arm and remember it. This is the kind of input people should strive to make to the scene! Great job Mattssogay!

MDFF

#6 st3ph3nt4n

st3ph3nt4n

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 17 December 2004 - 05:00 PM

nice

#7 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:40 AM

Bump - added to Case Modding FAQ! This is a great thread to get started if you are using, or plan on using an LCD screen.

Here are some more useful links:

Installing an X-LCD: http://www.teamxecuter.com/x3/lcd/

SmartXX LCD Install Guide: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=189118

Does anyone know where the LCD guide for Xeniums is, or if there is one yet? I couldn't find one.

#8 Himura

Himura

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:52 AM

Do you guys know where to buy Hip-Pad LCDs that ARENT $50+
Ive been looking around, and they are either out of stock or rather expensive.

Thanks!

#9 tw0_f0ur_

tw0_f0ur_

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:14 AM

i ordered mine from Walmart. Look for a detailed Tut soon.. Some time after X-mas, along with a X-LCD installation tut. Also a DVD window tut. All atfer Xmas when i get my xbox supplies

#10 ahoatam

ahoatam

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Xecuter 2.3<br />80 Gb HDD<br />XBMC Dash<br />JP1 remote<br />12V 80mm Fan<br />Internal auto-switching DVD
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 22 December 2004 - 05:39 AM

This is great... I'm going to put a link to this somewhere for quick reference so I can answer the ever-present laptop questions.

Thanks Mattsogay for taking the time!

#11 lareamond

lareamond

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:36 AM

hmm... would a screen from a portable DVD player work? i got one that's almost dead with a 5" screen...

#12 aladdin64

aladdin64

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:33 AM

Rather common question but this goes out to all non-american users:

Is there anyway to get hold of this screen and get it shipped to Europe?
None of the US-sites ships overseas, and i can't find it anywhere else. Some asian stores surely must have this?

If thats not possible, maybe there's some kind US citizen that could by at send this to me personally and getting paid through Paypal?

Regards

#13 FarM_

FarM_

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 02:16 AM

ye, this is the way to put
*Smaller Character Based LCD 4 lines of text*
with TSOP mod?

#14 investinwaffles

investinwaffles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, Computer modding, paintballing, and last, racing my mustang (well my dads at least)!

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:54 AM

please put the stuff about not being able to put in a gameboy, cellphone, etc lcd in big bold red letters. this is great. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING THIS~!!!!! beerchug.gif biggrin.gif

#15 WARLOCK2083

WARLOCK2083

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

Sorry to bring back an old topic but I have an old PS2 hpi pad. Could I use that and if so would it be the same way as the xbox?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users