#151 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(krayzie @ Dec 30 2004, 09:22 PM)
define boot dash only should work. Altough it doesn't work when retail discs are inside the drive. there are ways of stopping this but it involves altering the eeprom.

View Post

This is new to me, how ?

#152 gerner

gerner

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah it was a retail game that was causing the problem. I'll have a dig a round to see what needs to be edited in the eeprom. I'm thinking maybe I can edit the shadow eeprom and leave the original untouched. Cheers for the heads up.

#153 EthanHunt_IMF

EthanHunt_IMF

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(wafflezone @ Dec 29 2004, 05:49 PM)
Oh I'll bet. I am going to include a readme file that explains that if they mess with certain things or delete some things, they can't expect the included scripts or even boot path to function as intended.

View Post

Um, I bet half the people will still not even look at the read.me smile.gif

QUOTE(total_ass @ Dec 30 2004, 07:20 AM)
anyway so can someone explain the functionaility of the shadow eeprom. is shadows changes made in MS dash as well as other eeprom programs?

View Post

as I understand it, when using the shadow eeprom any changes that effect the eeprom will be written to a file -> virtual eeprom. thus nothing changes in your real eeprom. Think the purpose was for people using other languages for the ms dash which messes around with the memory layout causing font's to not work correctly. and this works for any prog/tool NOT based on the xbox-linux work (anything based on xbox-linux tools read/write to the eeprom directly)

#154 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:21 PM

editing the shadow eeprom would have no effect since that only gets loaded after nkpatcher. In the real eeprom you could for instance change the xbe region although that would keep the multi region games working. If you wanna completely eliminate retail games booting you need to zero the language dword in the eeprom. this method is not much tested and it is dangerous messing with the real eeprom so it might be better to wait for further development.

#155 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE(krayzie @ Dec 30 2004, 09:52 PM)
editing the shadow eeprom would have no effect since that only gets loaded after nkpatcher. In the real eeprom you could for instance change the xbe region although that would keep the multi region games working. If you wanna completely eliminate retail games booting you need to zero the language dword in the eeprom. this method is not much tested and it is dangerous messing with the real eeprom so it might be better to wait for further development.

View Post

Ah, effectively it means virginize the eeprom forcing the kernel to load the dashboard first(as it was first opened). This then would trigger the hack and nkpatcher which will provide the shadow eeprom. The only catch seems to be, NO LIVE is possible.

#156 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:31 PM

exactly

#157 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:51 PM

just tested to zero the language ID (0x90-0x93) and flashed back on my eeprom chip. Works flawlessly. Nkpatcher now boots prior to all games and the virtual eeprom corrects the missing language settings.

Edited by krayzie, 30 December 2004 - 10:51 PM.

#158 total_ass

total_ass

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:54 PM

yes but that is just as potentially dangerous as changing the game region for the UDE2 is it not. that's why the UXE was invented, to avoid any eeprom modifications. smile.gif

i mean if your exploit screws up then you gotta problem

#159 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:58 PM

I'm not saying everybody should hose their eeproms. I just experimented with possibilities. if something get's messed up I could always restore my hd anyway. Also I'm goin to flash back my original eeprom cuz I like the ability to run my exploited save. This was just some testing to see if retail games can be kept from loading prior to nkpatcher.

#160 total_ass

total_ass

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:02 PM

ok

but there's no worries at the moment as retail games remain harmless. and when they do become potentially harmful, the user could just simply wait for the exploit to load along with nkpatcher. though this is an unlikely future. let me check it out

*travels to future*

*returns to present*

i don't think we have much to worry about. (damn PS5!!!!)

#161 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:08 PM

they could do harm since some games connect to live without notifying resulting in xbox live banning for modified xboxdash files.
Also UXE was found and not invented. If it wasn't found everybody would still be switching regions.

#162 total_ass

total_ass

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:12 PM

ok good point.

me's glad my xbox isn't hooked up to the net. though i lose the ability to stream music, videos, browse the net and play system link. i don't care about LIVE.

LIVE is overrated anyhow.

#163 RiceCake

RiceCake

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:Wait, what the hell?<br />Your interested in what I do?<br />None of your damn buisness!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 December 2004 - 03:55 AM

EEPROM shadowing also does provide some security against Xbox Live.

You could use a fake EEPROM for your shadow, so that your real serial, HDD-key, and LiveID aren't given to servers.

The real EEPROM can still be grabbed through direct IO access though...and edited the same way. %99 of Xbox programs should use the kernel method and won't mess up your Xbox if you have it shadowed.

Linux based Xbox programs though don't use the kernel method - because its all supposed to be legal.

Anything else should be blocked because shadowing prevents the kernel method, but better safe than sorry.

#164 big ben bullet

big ben bullet

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:28 PM

You could use a fake EEPROM for your shadow, so that your real serial, HDD-key, and LiveID aren't given to servers.

--<potential though very unlikely>--
If everybody would start doing this, there's bound to be someone 'innocent' banned from Live (a modder would eventually take the same 'virtual eeprom' of some unknowing retail user's real eeprom)... when more and more of these innocent people get banned, MS will be forced to remove the check

#165 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:36 PM

if i'm not mistaken. as long as the shadow eeprom is active the xblive blocking is active too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users