7 replies to this topic

#1 jman11587

jman11587

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 05:49 PM

yesterday i finally got all the parts need to put together my new comp. i installed everything into the case properly and was about to power on for the first time, but... nothing.

when i flicked the power switch, nothing happened. no fans, no lights, no nothing.

i then unplugged everything from the power supply to see if that was the problem, and powered it on, but the PS fan didnt spin.

would that mean that the powersupply is defective, and i need a new one? or is it some other issue? thanks guys.

J

Edited by jman11587, 21 February 2003 - 05:50 PM.

#2 jasonmvt

jasonmvt

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 05:51 PM

most power supplies will not work (spin fan) without being hooked up to anything.

Edited by jasonmvt, 21 February 2003 - 05:51 PM.

#3 DiNapXbox

DiNapXbox

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 05:57 PM

Did you correctly hook up the power switch jumper cable to the motherboard? I don't think anything will happen if that's not hooked up.

#4 AdmStng

AdmStng

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 05:59 PM

look in your motherboard manual.... look for "cmos setting" or somthing like that.. motherboards come shipped by default with it on "clear CMOS" and with that set your box won't turn on.. put it on "normal operation" that is just another jumper setting..

Edited by AdmStng, 21 February 2003 - 05:59 PM.

#5 knowledgeiv

knowledgeiv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 21 February 2003 - 06:16 PM

Like AdmStng said, make sure that the clear CMOS jumper is set right.

After that, just plug the PS into the motherboard and only connect the power supply button cable and see if it powers on. If it doesn't work, then you can narrow it down to the PS or mobo.

I have an ATX power supply tester that I use for such purposes. I do have an extra that I could sell to you, but I doubt that you really want to wait for it to get to you just to find out if you have a bad PS or not.

#6 AdmStng

AdmStng

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 06:34 PM

if you did all that and your still stuck, you can use another machine or mobo to cancel out some of your problems switch and swap 'em... that could take a little while though..

#7 jman11587

jman11587

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 07:32 PM

hey guys, thanks a lot for ur help, but ive solved the problem. it turns out the back of my mobo was touching the case so it was shorting out.

it works great now. thanks again for ur speedy responses.

J

#8 knowledgeiv

knowledgeiv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 21 February 2003 - 07:35 PM

Good thing you didn't fry anything.

flamethrower.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic