13 replies to this topic

#1 cai

cai

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 05:04 AM

I've been reading alot about optimized ISO and how MooGUI does a good job at it. Unfortunately, I have to say that it failed for me. After burning over 70 games without a problem with Craxtion, I tried to burn ESPN NHL 2005 with the layout I downloaded from MooGUI's website and it produces my first ever coaster.

When I insert the disc, it freezes Avalaunh. The clock stops ticking, the music stops playing and everything freezes. If I reboot the xbox and am fast enough to go to file manager, I can browse the disc but launching default.xbe freezes the box. Inserting the disc in from Evox doesn't freeze evox but when I launch the game, xbox freezes. Booting the xbox with the disc already inserted gives the X logo and freezes.

Extracting with MooGUI/Qwix works fine but when trying to extract the ISO with Craxtion, I get the error message "This is not a valid XDVDFS iso file".

No disrespect to MooGUI and the person/people working on it but I'll stick to Craxtion with its 100% track record. It may not be optimized but it works flawlessly.

#2 toaks

toaks

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 09:39 AM

Try and give a little more detail about what you did. Did you use the newest version of the tools. I have used this tool almost from the beginning and I have never had a coaster. Games run perfectly every time. Maybe I can help figure out why it failed. This really is a great tool, and I think if you try it a little, you will come to love it!! Just a thought.

#3 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 December 2004 - 09:50 AM

yea, i little early to blame the program. maybe you missed a step, or had a bad disc. why dont you try the process again, double checking your steps and dump your own layout from the game.

im sur eit would work fine, well pretty sure unsure.gif

#4 total_ass

total_ass

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 11:24 AM

i've burnt roughly 20 games using moogui optmised isos, no problems whatsoever, is perfect smile.gif

#5 makaveli91

makaveli91

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 December 2004 - 12:31 PM

Did you pad the iso to fit fit the 4.7gb's? Becasue if i do my xbox won't read the disc at all..

#6 moobar

moobar

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:55 PM

No disrespect taken, feedback is always appreciated.

In most cases xdvdfs tools should work as expected. A special case was mentioned above by someone, using padding without oeibuf on crappy media is a sure fire way to burn a coaster.

#7 makaveli91

makaveli91

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 December 2004 - 05:56 AM

In most cases xdvdfs tools should work as expected. A special case was mentioned above by someone, using padding without oeibuf on crappy media is a sure fire way to burn a coaster.

Whats oeibuf? I think its the outter edge buffering or something right? When i try to pad on a good brand (verbatim) it still skips out pretty bad. Its not that important though, the unpadded iso still works fine.

#8 cai

cai

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 03:57 PM

Some of you said that it seems unfair for me to judge after only one failure, and I agree. So I want to repeat my experience and see what happens.

Since I alreay burnt my ESPN NHL game, I tried on Crimson Skies. And the result is the same. The game freezes on me, at load time.

Here's exactly what I did. (FWIW, it's the exact same steps as suggested by the tutorial)

Got the game folder and the layout ready on PC.
MooGUI 1.3.0
Click Wizard, Click Next
Choose folder, click next
choose layout, click next
Select "Move layer 1 first...", click next
Select filename, click next
Selected pading and 20MB buffer, click next
Click make Iso
Burn with Nero (as usual)

The game freezes while loading.

Game works fine on original DVD and on HD = not game problem
Same batch of DVD media used for months = not disc problem
Same Nero version = not burning problem
Different ISO maker...

I have a question for all of you who got it to work: are your steps exactly like mine? If not, what did you do differently?

#9 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:53 PM

uhhh, i dont know.. i only used this method for knight of the old republic since its 20000 files.. i used sniperkilla s tutorial.. if you can find that.

#10 moobar

moobar

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE(cai @ Dec 26 2004, 04:28 PM)
I have a question for all of you who got it to work: are your steps exactly like mine?  If not, what did you do differently?

View Post

I dont own ESPN NHL but I do own Crimson Skies, and just for kicks I backed that one up (never did it before because its Live). The steps are generally the same:

1. create layout with layoutdumper.xbe v2.1
2. transferred layout file and game folder to PC.
3. created ISO with MooGUI, pad, oeibuf 20MB. (the wizard is just an extension of the main menu, identical by selecting files manually)
4. burned with DVD Decrypter v3.5.1.0
5. launched with Avalaunch v0.49.20

Game loads and able to start a game. Successfully loads a game save ok.

On a side note I burnt a second copy without padding just to test, and that one works fine. Both play on a 1.0 and 1.4 box.

I dont think anyone is cutting you down for posting your results, xdvdfs_tools v2.+ is new and emerging software (to the scene anyways), so it could just be a fluke that it works for some and not for others. Personally I think these kinds of posts helps to make the tools better, well at least if we can find out what went wrong.

#11 cmiz

cmiz

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 26 December 2004 - 09:44 PM

Of 8 games i've burned with moogui, 4 didn't work and 4 worked as well as backups made through other means.

My xbox had a tendancy to not read games that were padded, though it could have been other problems that caused the coasters too I guess.

I think the problem with moogui is that it is more complicated than other backup programs and the tutorials aren't necessarily the easiest to follow. Perhaps a tut with a quick background on some of the features (padding, buffering, optimising layouts etc) and how to use them would make this program a bit more user friendly.

Until then though, I'm sorry to say I think I'll be sticking to my tried and true methods

#12 jonnyschultze

jonnyschultze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 08:19 AM

1> you have to remember that the layout MAY have a chance to be from the wrong region ~ ie NTSC when you need PAL, etc. ; because of this, I always use the Layout Dumper, it takes like 20 secs.

2> Did you verify your disk layouts and game folders; this is a good way to tell if you have deleted a file in the layout but the file still exists in the game folder (and visa-versa)

3> I've burned nothing but coasters with the Pad option, but everytime I have tried it was on Maxell DVD-RW ( I always test new ISO builders with -RW, that way it saves the waste of a good -R)

4> Because of the pad option failures, I use a dummy file creator to make a dummy file to bring the iso size up to 4.2 gigs (just create a file whatever size you need, put it in the game folder, then drag the title into the beginning of the layout)

Using these methods I've never burned a coaster, and always had nothing but fast, quiet backups. ~JS

#13 dbldown768

dbldown768

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 December 2004 - 05:03 PM

personally i dont even pad the iso. I know that its supposed to improve the speed, however, i dont think it will improve it enough to even notice a difference, in my opinion.

I am an avid users of MooGUI and pushed for everyone to start optimizing their games. Never had a problem yet. I'd bet 99% of the problems people have lies in the PAD option. change the oeiBuff to something greater than 20mb and maybe that would help. Or just dont use it at all, u will still notice a huge increase in speed from an optimized game as opposed to a not-optimized disc (craxtion).

#14 jonnyschultze

jonnyschultze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 06:25 AM

the only reason i pad the iso is because if I don't, the xbox usually won't recognise the disc on the first try; i'd have to eject and reload a couple times to get it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users