32 replies to this topic

#16 plehem12

plehem12

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (socrates @ Feb 23 2003, 10:21 AM)
wink.gif
K all is well, my bad i didnt even notice the smilie.

I've got nothing against Canadians. I actually want to move there some day...

#17 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:26 PM

Look for a canadina weather chanel around hamilton and toronto and check out what just dropped from the sky on us....then tell me you want to move here wink.gif

#18 Cheerio

Cheerio

Got Milk?

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:28 PM

I JUST GOT IN FROM SHOVELING MINE,MY NEIGHBORS, MY OTHER NEIGHBORS, AND MY NEIGHBORS NEIGHBORS drives.

#19 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:29 PM

Ya see cheerio knows, here from the same neck of the woods, im from hamilton though...the better part of ontario wink.gif

#20 Cheerio

Cheerio

Got Milk?

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (socrates @ Feb 23 2003, 01:29 PM)
Ya see cheerio knows, here from the same neck of the woods, im from hamilton though...the better part of ontario wink.gif

ohmy.gif im from oakville heh

i didnt know you were so close man!!! jester.gif

/me packs up and moves across the world.

#21 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:52 PM

Ya bet ya wont lip off to me now will ya wink.gif

#22 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:53 PM

Fucking double post motherr fucker fuck fuck shit god dame it ....grrr.r......

Edited by socrates, 23 February 2003 - 06:53 PM.

#23 Cheerio

Cheerio

Got Milk?

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (socrates @ Feb 23 2003, 01:53 PM)
Fucking double post motherr fucker fuck fuck shit god dame it ....grrr.r......

turrets?

#24 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:58 PM

BALL LICKER!!! laugh.gif
BIG BIG TITTIE!!!! laugh.gif

#25 plehem12

plehem12

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 23 February 2003 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (socrates @ Feb 23 2003, 10:58 AM)
BALL LICKER!!! laugh.gif
BIG BIG TITTIE!!!! laugh.gif

Just watched that movie yesterday! pop.gif

#26 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,220 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 February 2003 - 07:46 PM

Geez.. WONG HUNG LO...

If you actually READ the ARTICLE. in it's entirety.. you'd realized the error in your thoughts/posts. It's not that the BIBLE is the issue.. but that these 4 quotes... taken out of context... placed in a CIRCLE with a cross throught it... placed as an "AD"n a CATHOLIC Newspaper by CHRISTIANS during GAY PRIDE WEEK... was a clear attempt to "hurt" FAGS.

The courts justified their decision. HATE crimes are a serious issue... and the courts are trying to stem that if possible.

I'm no FAN of those of the FAQ persuasion.. but If I was one... I'd sure as hell not want to see a pic on PAGE 3 of the local paper beside this mornings political ramblings showing a bunch of ancient quotes proclaiming things that would end up causing others during my work day to spew forth unwanted and unwarranted comments.

Frankly.. the AD violate a number of local civic codes in that area.. and should never have been printed.

In Canada.. we appreciate our freedoms... but we balance that with respect.. and with the need for social balance. Freedom has it's limits.. and we have learned to accept that. Don't bash Canada because you neither understand nor accept our system. It work quite well for the most part.

Except for the leanient child laws.. Pot laws.. and a few other scratches that need to be itched! smile.gif

#27 Lizard_King

Lizard_King

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 08:55 AM

Utterly ridiculous. Just another example of the kind of totalitarian bullshit that democratic governments can shove down people's throats.

The courts justified their decision. HATE crimes are a serious issue... and the courts are trying to stem that if possible.

You bet they are, but not for the reasons you think. Hate crime legislation is equivalent to the criminalization of thought. Why?

Well, for one thing, 9/10 out hate crimes legislation is invoked when a crime has been committed and some form of state-disapproved hatred is suspected to be involved. All it does then is add to the person's sentence, based on the presumption that the jury can decide which actions were "hateful". That is absolutely absurd. Why should a murder for money or revenge get less of a punishment than one for hate? why should a black guy getting killed by a white guy suddenly open up the door for extra sentencing, when you can bet 9/10 the reverse will never be a cause for hate crimes to be brought it in. (Although occasionally you'll have really absurd "hate crimes" like when a white student got a black student in trouble at his high school because the black kid used the word "nigger", the white kid overheard, and was "offended").

What's left? Well, nutty cases like the one in Wong's article. One of the side effects of living in a free society is that you will occasionally be offended. The correct response would be to put out a counter ad, say one pointing out all the absurd things in the bible like killing your son if he disrespects you. That's part of being an adult in a civil society, you tolerate those whose opinions you dislike until they do something materially criminal. You talk shit back to people.

In this case, I think the Christians should be able to run whatever ad they want to so long as the newspaper is willing to run it. If people are offended by it, they can put pressure on the newspaper not to run further such ads by boycotting it, making a big deal about it, protesting, whatever. Or they could just not buy that newspaper anymore like a normal person would do when they dislike the content.

TO reiterate, this hate crimes nonsense is exactly what happens when well-intentioned people try to legislate bad thoughts out of existence. Not only does it not work, but it destroys any kind of free speech.

Does Canada have anything like the First Amendment in its Constitution? Just wondering, because the judge mentioned nothing like it in his decision, so I can only infer that there isn't. That's a shame.

#28 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,220 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:31 PM

You talk shit back to people.

In Canada.. we strive to get along better with each other.. and our neighbors.. smile.gif We allow a certain amount of freedoms to be restricted. It's the price we pay for one of the best societies on the planet. Most are quite satified with the status quo in our Country (despite constantly re-electing a moron as PM) those that aren't.. join the REFORM party.. or move South. (USA)

As for the constitution... I won't attempt to detail our laws.. until I have a better grasp of them myself. (the sad truth is.. like many Canadians.. I am more up to date on AMERICAN issues than Canadian ones.)

A by product of being neighbors with the States.. and having the Airwaves bombarded by American Radio and TV.. and having CABLE monopolized by American channels!
smile.gif

#29 Lizard_King

Lizard_King

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:58 PM

You strive to "get along"? I'm sorry, but getting along does not require brain control. Totalitarianism does.

HAte crimes legislation is just a back door for thought reform. If I want to hate X group for Y reason, it is my right to do so. If I commit a crime against X group, it should be judged on the crime itself, with motive only entering calculations to determine whether the crime was premeditated. That is justice.

All you do with hate crimes laws is open the law to even more subjectivity; bad enought that trial lawyers already get away with selection the least qualified for juries again and again; you're going to have them deciding whose thoughts are bad as well?

#30 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (Wong Hung Lo @ Feb 23 2003, 05:44 PM)
What I meant is that I think it's bullshit that the bible is called hate literature by a Canadian court. That's why I said I'm glad that I don't live there. And I thought my freedoms were being taken away here in the USA blink.gif I feel bad for you guys North of me.

The bible r0x, and so does canada with people like: WAYNE GRETZKY (THE GREAT ONE), Catriona Lemay (speedskater), Jeremy Wotherspoon (speedskater), and hmm oh wel also Cheeri0 laugh.gif beerchug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users