88 replies to this topic

#1 Mack03

Mack03

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 07:49 AM

So having problems with your new spider mod chip? Take a look and see if any of these has anything to do with you! Hope these help you out!

Xbox fragging?
When you install the spider you have to put 3 wires really close together, either those arent in the right order, or they are touching, to fix this check over the tutorial and see if your wires are in the right spots.

If Your wires are all in correctly, try covering the 3 wires that are really close with electrical tape, (or all of them its up to you) so there not touching, if any of the wires are touching, it WILL frag. hope this help you!!

If you have any other information about fixing spider mod chip problems, feel free to post them!!! biggrin.gif

#2 xboxerx

xboxerx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:18 AM

Now the wire is touching and now can't see any boot screen this is version 1.6 .
any help would much thanks you.
kevin

#3 Klingon

Klingon

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(xboxerx @ Dec 30 2004, 05:49 AM)
Now the wire is touching and now can't see any boot screen this is version 1.6 .
any help would much thanks you.
kevin

View Post

umm..just out of the top of my head..tried insulating the wires so they do NOT touch eachother?

You can just stick some smallish tape between them or even better pull off some insulation from one of the conductors in a telephone wire, cut fitting pieces and thread them onto each wire.

#4 Klingon

Klingon

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:13 PM

Im glad to inform any readers that my installation of Spider v1.0 on my 1.6b was sucessfull. Not without problems tho, I will explain what they where and how I solved them so any future spider chip users will have a heads up smile.gif

First of all goto xbox-scenes version detector and verify which xbox you have.

The spider chip does not ship with a manual, but you can download both (install & flash intall) from www.spiderchip.com

My spiderchip was ordered 25 december and its a v1.0. The new ones are v1.1 which supposedly is supposed to be more friendly with 1.6b and have a better fastening screw.

So first of all, fasten the chip to the LCP. Here we run into the first problem, the screw that comes with the spider is usless, its is just too short and too thin. The one you are supposed to replace it with is however perfect.

2 spacers are supplied, use only 1 of them (you need a even longer screw to use both).
Place it below the chip, put the chip ontop and fasten it with your screw after making sure the pins on the chip is aligned with the LCP holes.

Now, on the 1.6 and 1.6b all 5 wires needs to be connected.
The solder points where the wires are connected on the chip are EXTREMELY fragile, bend them more than 3 times and they snap off like twigs. Two of mine did exactly this and I had to resolder them. If this should happen to you, and you have no solder experience go read a guide and practice before you try!

The easier order is to start with wire A. then B. Continue with D, E and finally C.

Before re-connecting your DVD-ROM and HDD, attach the power and AV cable and verify if the installation works. If you are using the supplied on/off switch, verify both modes. If the xbox will not boot but blinks red and no picture whilst the chip is switched on, re-check following:

1. Chip is algined with LCP. Alternativly press it slightly down with your finger and boot the xbox. If it starts fine now your fastening is not precise enough.
2. No wires are touching eachother.
3. Wires are in their correct holes.
4. Wires are not touching any other cirquit on the PCB.

If your spiderchip boots fine you should prevent the wires to pop out (they will do this very eaisly if you are to cough, breathe or generally look in its general direction tongue.gif ) Get a one of those cheapass hobby glueguns and apply some over each wire where they connect on the PCB.
Do not worry, this kind of glue gets very hard when it dries and is easy to peel off if you should run into any problems.

The spider comes with a cromwell flash bios, This is only a bios that enables you to flash the chip with a "real" one that will enable playing backups etc.
I flashed mine with Evox m8 plus 1.6 burned onto a dvd-rw.

After that I suggest the use of Slayer for evox dashboards, all kinds of utils and HDD upgrade ability.

There have been reports of users having 1.6 versions having laquer over the VIAs (connection holes), this was luckily not my case, but you really should check if you have this issue before you order this chip.

That is my experience so far with the spider chip, would I reccomend it to someone with no experience that wants a quick fix? No.

#5 xboxerx

xboxerx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:47 PM

Well I know I need to flash the spider chip, but when I take the chip out completely of the xbox, and still can't boot from original bios. this is v.16 so how do I fix the Frag xbox.
thanks

#6 Klingon

Klingon

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(xboxerx @ Dec 30 2004, 11:18 PM)
Well I know I need to flash the spider chip, but when I take the chip out completely of the xbox, and still can't boot from original bios. this is v.16 so how do I fix the Frag xbox.
thanks

View Post

Umm that does not sound right, were u able to flash it before? You must have done something to cause the fragging, or maybe you short-circuited something on the PCB while installing..... Check the connection area with a maginifying glass if you have one and look for any discrepancies.

#7 Taodragon00

Taodragon00

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:34 AM

I flashed my spiderchip and it said it was flashed completely (flashed with x2_4983.67). System rebooted and now it just turns on and off by itself. When I turn the chip off, the system will boot to its original bios no problem. How can I fix this?

#8 zimbo_ouen

zimbo_ouen

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE(Taodragon00 @ Jan 2 2005, 03:05 AM)
I flashed my spiderchip and it said it was flashed completely (flashed with x2_4983.67).  System rebooted and now it just turns on and off by itself.  When I turn the chip off, the system will boot to its original bios no problem.  How can I fix this?

View Post

apparently x2_4983.67 is not compatible with 1.6 or 1.6b.... you should have used Evox M8plus_16... that is the best as it works with 1.6 and 1.6b...

again I nearly made this mistake but with lots of reading and preparation I save myself the hassle but finding this out luckily... phew... looks like you will have to reflash the chip using a programmer now...

#9 musicmax

musicmax

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 06:36 PM

I too have installed the Spider and am having the non working box so long as the DO wire is connected. I have a V.1.0 box. Installed the chip. Experienced a lot of problems with getting the box to recognize the BIOS from CDRW. Grabbed the HD from my other modded box. Loaded the BIOS from C:. No problem showed update complete. Box re-booted itself and stayed off. Now when powering the box on it'll power up for 1 sec. Power off 1 sec, power up 1 sec, off 1 sec and then power back up and stay on with no display. I've tried both HD connection and standard AV connection. If I pull the DO wire the box will boot normally to the MS Dash. Any clue as to what this may be? DO I have a fragged chip?

#10 Dr JRE

Dr JRE

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 January 2005 - 05:47 AM

I got a few v1.0 spiders and put them in 4 of my firends' xboxes.
I have a unique problem with the spider, which pretty much has to do with the thin screw given in the V1.0 spiders.

The chip does not stay in place on v1.6 boards.
I put the spider in 2 v1.3 xboxes and i haven't had a problem since.
I also put the spider in 2 v1.6 xboxes and they won't stay put.
Every 2-3 days, the v1.6 xboxes come back to me with the unreadalbe bios problem (on/off, on/off, on/red/green) and all i need to do is open the xboxes and re-position the chip.
Upon closer inspection, the last 2 pogo pins furthest from the screw hole on the spider seem to 'lift' from contact with the LPC on the main board.
If I don't screw down the spider enough, the board pivots around the screw and doesn't stay in contact with any LPC holes. And when I screw it down more, I get the lifting problem.
Is there anything I can do without getting different screws to secure the sipder?
I can't find adequate replacement screws.
Should I use some type of adhesive to secure the spider to the board?
Double-sided mounting tape? Hot glue?
Another friend suggested 'Shoe Goo'; bad idea?

#11 justincase64

justincase64

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:06 AM

still trying to find out if the spiderchip will work on 1.6b xboxes

#12 zimbo_ouen

zimbo_ouen

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE(Dr JRE @ Jan 3 2005, 06:18 AM)
I have a unique problem with the spider, which pretty much has to do with the thin screw given in the V1.0 spiders.

Every 2-3 days, the v1.6 xboxes come back to me with the unreadalbe bios problem (on/off, on/off, on/red/green) and all i need to do is open the xboxes and re-position the chip.
Upon closer inspection, the last 2 pogo pins furthest from the screw hole on the spider seem to 'lift' from contact with the LPC on the main board.
If I don't screw down the spider enough, the board pivots around the screw and doesn't stay in contact with any LPC holes. And when I screw it down more, I get the lifting problem.
Is there anything I can do without getting different screws to secure the sipder?

View Post

try only using one washer and use the original screw that was on the board when you opened it... you can screw in fairly tight (I did) and its all fine and was very sturdy and set... so its washer first then chip and then original screw (in that order)...

#13 cuty

cuty

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE(Dr JRE @ Jan 3 2005, 06:18 AM)

View Post

If you look carefully, the alignment of the LPC holes and the hole with the screw if not correct. I had same problem like u. Since the alignment is incorrect, if you screw down, the chip would move away from the LPC holes.
I am waiting for an exchange for a different chip (not spiderchip).
I suggest that you don't use the screw, and just superglue.

#14 Dr JRE

Dr JRE

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(zimbo_ouen @ Jan 3 2005, 4:11 AM)
try only using one washer and use the original screw that was on the board when you opened it... you can screw in fairly tight (I did) and its all fine and was very sturdy and set... so its washer first then chip and then original screw (in that order)...

View Post

I tried that. The original screw seem to be just as short as the one provided by the spider V1.0 just a bit thicker, and it's no good for V1.0-1.5 xboxes.because it'll force the chip to the left and out of alignment. But I have no problems with those xboxes and the spider, just the V1.6.

QUOTE(cuty @ Jan 3 2005, 06:43 AM)
If you look carefully, the alignment of the LPC holes and the hole with the screw if not  correct.  I had same problem like u.  Since the alignment is incorrect, if you screw down, the chip would move away from the LPC holes.
I am waiting for an exchange for a different chip (not spiderchip).
I suggest that you don't use the screw, and just superglue.

View Post

The screw/LPC hole alignment problem seems to only be apparent V1.0-V1.5 xboxes, and the 2 V1.3 xboxes I chipped have had no problems since install.
The V1.6 aligns almost perfectly. I say almost becuase it shouldn't be give me problems like the one described in my previous post.
Superglue? should I really put that on the pogo pins that seem to lift off the LPC?

#15 justincase64

justincase64

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 02:06 PM

can anyone tell me if the spiderchip will work on a 1.6b?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users