6 replies to this topic

#1 highsociety

highsociety

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:48 AM

okay, im quite confused. i've read around on the forums and done searches about this but i can't seem to find any useful info. I came to the conclusion that the 20 gig hdd is a SATA hdd. im pretty sure that SATA hdd's WON'T work in xbox's. i bought a 40 gig hdd, and it says ATA on it. will that hdd work in my xbox?

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:52 AM

ATA will work, SATA (serial ATA) wont

#3 AgentEB

AgentEB

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 31 December 2004 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Dec 31 2004, 05:23 AM)
ATA will work, SATA (serial ATA) wont

View Post

just make sure you do some research before you buy a hdd for your xbox. serials ata drives dont' work with the xbox that i know of

#4 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 December 2004 - 07:37 PM

Yup, any ATA will work but SATA won't. So the 40GB ATA should work just fine in the XBOX.

#5 highsociety

highsociety

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 08:04 PM

see that's the thing, the 20 gig is a ATA too. and i formatted it using xboxhdm, everything went fine, but when i went to lock it, it says that it doesn't support that type of security, i know there are a handful of hdd's that dont lock, but will running a hdd that's not locked from the computer cause your xbox to get error number 5? does anyone know what error #5 means? btw, yes i have the eeprom in the eeprom folder. laugh.gif

#6 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 31 December 2004 - 08:19 PM

error 5 simply means the HD is not locked

a non-lockable HD just means you cant run a softmod or disable your modchip

#7 samoyeds_4life

samoyeds_4life

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 10:02 PM

Actually, you can disable your chip. You just couldn't use your XBox with it disabled.

This guy is confused about HDD types. Minor oversights on facts could send him over the roof with confusion.

Edited to add some clarity...

Personally, I don't run a locked HDD. I don't need to. I have never used XBox Live. That is the only reason I know of to lock a HDD on a chipped 'Box. If you don't use XBox Live and you do have a chip (referring to Vader's comment about not being able to run softmod -- I have no experience), then you don't need to lock your drive. The one reason I can think of NOT to lock a drive is that if your XBox ever goes DEAD then your HDD goes with it, unless you have saved a copy of the lock key, blah, blah, blah. Again, I have no experience. I don't lock my drive, so I have no key to keep track of. I run a 250 GB drive in my XBox. I'm not about to risk losing it. I can still access the MS Dash to set the clock and A/V settings from Evox.

Edited by samoyeds_4life, 31 December 2004 - 10:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users