#1 Ripasser

Ripasser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 03 January 2005 - 02:07 AM

I was just wondering, at my local auto store i saw a display for some NOS Octane Booster. Suppose to raise your octane 7 points. Is this safe for the engine and how well does it work? Anyone know?

#2 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 January 2005 - 05:07 AM

It only raises your octane 7 points if you are driving a 4x4. The one for the car only does about 3 points. As for the difference it makes, IMHO you are just better off filling your tank with a higher grade gasoline. I tried it once and it made a little difference but not that much.

#3 fishlord

fishlord

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Jan 3 2005, 05:38 AM)
It only raises your octane 7 points if you are driving a 4x4.  The one for the car only does about 3 points.  As for the difference it makes, IMHO you are just better off filling your tank with a higher grade gasoline.  I tried it once and it made a little difference but not that much.

View Post

Why would it make any difference what you are driving? if it is a chemical additive then it should increase the octane of the gas by the same amout no matter what vehicle it is in.

As for if it is good or not... you car probably dosnt need 100+ octane fuel. pump gas is fine.

#4 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 03 January 2005 - 09:39 PM

Unless your engine is knocking theres no real reason to go to a higher octane. Waste of cash.

#5 SupraKid

SupraKid

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:my MK4 Supra and my xboxes :)
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:20 AM

Dont waste your money.... by 7 points they mean if you fill up with 93 octane you now have 93.7 ....... and they are $15 richer

If you want to raise your octane look into toulene or xylene, do a search on google.com for the correct amount to put in and by how much it will raise the octane. I've used it plenty of times...but if you dont need it, then dont use it.....I use it when I am running a higher shot of nitrous so I dont detonate

#6 celinedrules

celinedrules

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:23 AM

It will clean out your fuel system - injectors, etc. If you need to do that then there is no reason not to use it. I use NOS brand and Hyperlube Racing oil suppliment in my car and you can definately notice the difference.

#7 Ripasser

Ripasser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 06:00 AM

I drive an 83 Z28 Camaro with a 305 and just wanted to try it for shits. I did however notice a little difference with the NOS brand. It pulled a little harder off the line but couldnt really tell if the top end was any better. I dont think its worth $10.99 but it was worth a try. Now for real NOS. I know there is a danger of my cracking my block, being that it is 22 years old. Should i go with NOS or not? I was thinking about going with a 50shot at first, 100 seems a bit risky to me.

#8 fishlord

fishlord

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(Ripasser @ Jan 4 2005, 06:31 AM)
I drive an 83 Z28 Camaro with a 305 and just wanted to try it for shits. I did however notice a little difference with the NOS brand. It pulled a little harder off the line but couldnt really tell if the top end was any better. I dont think its worth $10.99 but it was worth a try. Now for real NOS. I know there is a danger of my cracking my block, being that it is 22 years old. Should i go with NOS or not? I was thinking about going with a 50shot at first, 100 seems a bit risky to me.

View Post

50 should be totally safe... so long as you make sure they you are getting in the extra fuel that you need it would be fine. Even a 100 should be fine in a V8.

#9 SupraKid

SupraKid

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE(Ripasser @ Jan 4 2005, 06:31 AM)

View Post

You should be fine with a 50 shot, make sure its a wet kit so you have the necessary fuel there. Tuning a wet kit is as simple as putting in a pill. To be on the safe side get an RPM window switch and only activate the nitrous 3500- below redline..... you want to stay away from redline when on the juice. Any questions feel free to ask me... I actually have a NOS brand wet kit for sale with the new anodized blue bottle, comes with a wide open throttle switch, override switch, all lines, nos wet fogger, 60 shot pills.... LMK

#10 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE(SupraKid @ Jan 5 2005, 12:08 AM)
You should be fine with a 50 shot, make sure its a wet kit so you have the necessary fuel there. Tuning a wet kit is as simple as putting in a pill. To be on the safe side get an RPM window switch and only activate the nitrous 3500- below redline..... you want to stay away from redline when on the juice. Any questions feel free to ask me... I actually have a NOS brand wet kit for sale with the new anodized blue bottle, comes with a wide open throttle switch, override switch, all lines, nos wet fogger, 60 shot pills.... LMK

View Post

Price?
Pics?
All the details?

#11 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE(fishlord @ Jan 3 2005, 08:11 PM)
Why would it make any difference what you are driving? if it is a chemical additive then it should increase the octane of the gas by the same amout no matter what vehicle it is in. 

As for if it is good or not... you car probably dosnt need 100+ octane fuel.  pump gas is fine.

View Post

I meant to say that the one that was meant for 4x4's was 7 points higher and the one meant for cars was 3 points higher. Either way though, I agree, I don't see why they made one for trucks and one for cars. It certainly isn't worth the price though. I noticed more difference by filling my tank with higher grade gasoline than I did by dumping that stuff in my tank.

#12 SupraKid

SupraKid

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Jan 5 2005, 03:59 AM)
Price?
Pics?
All the details?

View Post

Its the one installed on my car, comes with all lines, wet fogger with 60 shot pills, an extra fuel solenoid ($75), new style anodized bottle, overide switch and WOT switch... everything to get you running.. I bought it for $600 + 75 for the extra solenoid.. I am selling it for $400... I may have a potential buyer but first come first serve... The reason why I am selling is because I am going with a larger turbo setup and honestly the nitrous kit would be sitting there looking good.. thats it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users