14 replies to this topic

#1 Lovaboy

Lovaboy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:06 AM

Hey, im sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but do u guys remember that crazy cheap hard drive website that use to sell 250gb for like 99 bux? it use to be on the main page of xbox-scene, u know where all the others are "rent games online...divine.net....etc"
does anyone remember the website that sold the hard drives? It would be greatly appriciated.

#2 chinkatastic

chinkatastic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Weed
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:55 AM

http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/

#3 samoyeds_4life

samoyeds_4life

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 05:12 AM

Well, I don't see any 250 GB drives for $99.

The 250 GB drive they do have is RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED, not to mention the HDDs they sell there are

#1. white label (take a guess as to which brand you'll get)
#2. refurbished (meaning they were probably previously broken and may still be)
#3. only come with a 30-day warranty.

You'd do better at http://www.newegg.com or http://www.zipzoomfly.com buying a brand name drive that is cheaper and comes with a 1 or 3-yr warranty.

#4 Mega_mil

Mega_mil

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 January 2005 - 05:27 AM

Well you asked and he answered. That is the website that use to carry HD's for cheap but from what i seen they were all White Label HDD's. I purchased from there before and have had no problems with any of the hDD's.

#5 samoyeds_4life

samoyeds_4life

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(Mega_mil @ Jan 7 2005, 05:58 AM)
Well you asked and he answered.  That is the website that use to carry HD's for cheap but from what i seen they were all White Label HDD's.  I purchased from there before and have had no problems with any of the hDD's.

View Post

... and there are people out there that have survived malfunctions while parachuting. That doesn't mean it's a wise idea to skydive and not pull the ripcord.

The Yahoo shop is more expensive and sells inferior product with less warranty.

#6 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 07 January 2005 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE(samoyeds_4life @ Jan 6 2005, 10:54 PM)

The Yahoo shop is more expensive and sells inferior product with less warranty.

View Post

Wow, sounds like eBay. biggrin.gif

#7 ruffian

ruffian

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:drumn'bass, computers/electronics/video games, firearms, car audio, real estate, off-road, disc golf
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:19 AM

hehe...

excellent analogy, samoyeds!

Coincidentally, my mother has a big samoyed named Jack, and my father flies skydivers during the summer smile.gif

#8 samoyeds_4life

samoyeds_4life

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:29 AM

I love mushing with samoyeds. They aren't anywhere near as strong as malamutes or huskies, but they are so beautiful. I am a skydiver. I jump every chance I get.

#9 Lovaboy

Lovaboy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 06:28 PM

darnet.... these arent the one that was on the main page, but thxanyway sad.gif

#10 samoyeds_4life

samoyeds_4life

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(Lovaboy @ Jan 8 2005, 06:59 PM)
darnet.... these arent the one that was on the main page, but thxanyway sad.gif

View Post

The ones that were on the mainpage were the same, just a bit cheaper. Maybe this is the same site, and the prices have gone up. Either way, the ones you are talking about and searching for were WHITE LABEL, REFURBISHED, POS, ONE-MONTH WARRANTY HDDs.

If you are like me and don't like to hassle with mail-in rebates that may or may not come in 6-8 weeks, you can hardly beat NewEgg's prices. If you want to flip a coin and test your luck with a mail-in rebate to get a good "deal" then check fatwallet.com.

Edited to add:

I can understand trying your hand with cheap memory, a printer, etc. but why chance your luck with 2nd rate crap? If you lose, you lose big. You lose 250 GBs of data you probably wanted to keep. Good luck.

Edited by samoyeds_4life, 09 January 2005 - 09:35 AM.

#11 Mega_mil

Mega_mil

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:50 AM

The ones that were posted before were white label also............just cause it says white label doesn't mean it's cheap............most of those are manufactured Maxtor drives with a different name on them.........so if you want to pay for a name then go ahead.....i'm telling you from experience...............and i've had mine for over 3 years now........

Again:

White label drives are jsut as good as a maxtor drive or WD drive. anyone can buy a bulk supply of maxtors and stamp their name on them......mine actually came up as a maxtor diamond Max drive. Just like the RAM......you can get cheap RAM......depends on the manufacturer if it's any good or not

Edited by Mega_mil, 11 January 2005 - 08:51 AM.

#12 Mega_mil

Mega_mil

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:54 AM

Take this site for instance:

http://www.thecomput.../harddrives.htm

They have maxtor white labels......the only difference in white label drives are they only come with a 1 year warranty and they are usually OEM drives.........and they might be refurb's.......which is why they might be cheaper........but if you search around different sites...you might find a full package for about the same.

www.pricewatch.com

Edited by Mega_mil, 11 January 2005 - 08:57 AM.

#13 samoyeds_4life

samoyeds_4life

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:59 AM

I wonder how they can offer a 1yr warranty on a drive with no serial # or mfg #. Seems like it would be easy to make a claim after the year as long as you bought one since then... just not that exact drive.

#14 samoyeds_4life

samoyeds_4life

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(Mega_mil @ Jan 11 2005, 09:21 AM)
The ones that were posted before were white label also............just cause it says white label doesn't mean it's cheap............most of those are manufactured Maxtor drives with a different name on them.........so if you want to pay for a name then go ahead.....i'm telling you from experience...............and i've had mine for over 3 years now........
Again:

White label drives are jsut as good as a maxtor drive or WD drive.  anyone can buy a bulk supply of maxtors and stamp their name on them......mine actually came up as a maxtor diamond Max drive.  Just like the RAM......you can get cheap RAM......depends on the manufacturer if it's any good or not

View Post

Well, you just need to read the fine print before you claim they are just as good...

The white label drives listed from the first link specifically says REFURBISHED. I'm guessing all white label drives are refurbished, which is why they no longer have serial #s, or accounting would be a little more complex if they had to account for drives with a serial number that has a history as a new drive and a refurbished drive.

#15 Mega_mil

Mega_mil

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:19 AM

That's why I said you have to read.......some are refurb's and some are not. Mine was not. It did come with just a 1 year warranty and that's it. But like I said it was a Maxtor drive, which isn't that bad since Maxtor is a top name brand. But the choice is yours......I didn't want to get into some long debate about white label......you ask for the link to the site....the guy gave it to you.......I was just stating that even the cheap prices they had before were all white label drives.........they are not that bad but then again you get what you pay for if you don't check the specifics...............if you need a brand name sticker on your HDD then stick to newegg.com, they are a very good seller.........but sometimes a no name brand can be better than a top name brand......take cyberhome dvd players for example.......lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users