#301 vkaos

vkaos

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:19 PM

Hey Vader,

Do we know when the "marriage" actually takes place? Is it before or after you've created a xbox live account?

For example, if I went into my xbox live settings, connected to xbox live, but I haven't actually created my xbox live account yet (no GT on the box yet), is the eeprom and hard drive already tied together at this point? Or do you actually have to create an account and then it gets tied.

Or is it unknown how/when this happens?

#302 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,751 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(ferrari_rulz_02 @ Jun 15 2005, 06:15 AM)
no they wont. the MAC address is burnt into a chip on the nic (on the mobo). it is assigned by the manufacturer and cannot be changed, without replacing the chip on the board that contains that info

View Post

you sure? i could have sworn the MAC address changed with the eeprom changes (meaning its in the eeprom)

Hey Vader,

Do we know when the "marriage" actually takes place? Is it before or after you've created a xbox live account?

For example, if I went into my xbox live settings, connected to xbox live, but I haven't actually created my xbox live account yet (no GT on the box yet), is the eeprom and hard drive already tied together at this point? Or do you actually have to create an account and then it gets tied.

Or is it unknown how/when this happens?

i personally dont know when it happens, someone may have tested it and they might know (feedback people!) i usually play it safe and tell peopel to assume any connection to Live has caused a marriage

#303 Gumba

Gumba

X-S Freak

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Jun 15 2005, 01:19 PM)
same way they know its the one thats married to your eeprom, make/model/serial

View Post

It might actually be based on its size

8 or 10 GB might mean XBL thinks its stock. This hasn't been proved either way yet as far as I know wink.gif

#304 Gumba

Gumba

X-S Freak

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE(Cutriss @ Jun 15 2005, 01:32 PM)
Actually, I had a thought about this -

Suppose you have two Xboxes. One virgin. Never gets modded. Never gets squat. The other has an upgraded HDD, whatever, but never ever ever touches the Internet.

Boot EvoX via soft exploit, and don't install. Back up the EEPROM.

Write the virgin EEPROM to the modded Xbox. Now you have two Xboxes, one cloned from the other. AFAIK, the data is signed using a hash of your Xbox serial number. So, if your serial number matches, the data can be reused, right?

So, now you can download all the Live content in the world, and then FTP it off the Xbox and over to the modded box. Since they're "the same Xbox", it'd work, wouldn't it?

If I had a spare Xbox handy, I'd check into this myself.

View Post

Not sure if the xboxes would be able to successfully communicate on a LAN, since they're the same xbox they're going to confuse the ethernet protocol wink.gif

Like trying to dial your own telephone from your telephone and then wondering why your other phones don't ring wink.gif

Also, i don't think two xboxes with the same eeprom can play system link together

#305 Gumba

Gumba

X-S Freak

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE(ferrari_rulz_02 @ Jun 15 2005, 08:15 PM)
no they wont. the MAC address is burnt into a chip on the nic (on the mobo). it is assigned by the manufacturer and cannot be changed, without replacing the chip on the board that contains that info

View Post

Ummm, no, fairly certain its in the eeprom...

or put it another way...

the NIC is the mobo, and the chip that you're talking about *is* the eeprom.

Edited by Gumba, 16 June 2005 - 01:35 AM.

#306 Gumba

Gumba

X-S Freak

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Jun 16 2005, 07:36 AM)
i personally dont know when it happens, someone may have tested it and they might know (feedback people!) i usually play it safe and tell peopel to assume any connection to Live has caused a marriage

View Post

Far as I know, it hasn't been confirmed when exactly it happens.

#307 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,751 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE(Gumba @ Jun 15 2005, 08:37 PM)
It might actually be based on its size

8 or 10 GB might mean XBL thinks its stock. This hasn't been proved either way yet as far as I know wink.gif

View Post

i considered this, but i dont think size is directly queryable from teh firmware, only make/model/serial, so it would be much simpler to query model and compare to a list of stock models than to look up the model and determine the size

hey, if anyone has a maxtor or IBM 8gb drive and some spare eeproms please try this out

#308 mike69

mike69

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:37 AM

if my gamertag has been flagged and i save it to my memory unit .. then i take it to a friends house who has live and happens to have an upgraded hdd... i will get his eeprom and hdd banned????

#309 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,751 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:53 AM

if you sign on with his xbox then yes, you will get him banned and probably very pissed at you

#310 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts
  • Interests:my girfriend, then the xbox<br />and yes, it is in that order
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(mike69 @ Jun 16 2005, 05:48 PM)
will get his eeprom and hdd banned

View Post

not a smart thing to do to a mate

#311 xXGiuseppeXx

xXGiuseppeXx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:18 PM

Lordvader, a little help here is needed (also because i am more technological inferior than you). I have played live for about a little over a year and decided to mod my xbox. Its now modded with a x2 ce modchip with a evox bios and dash. Trying live one day, I got banned, chip was left on. Now since I dont think I approve with the marriage terms, would it be possible to just get a stock EEPROM and hd, stick into my xbox, and just put a switch in there to switch from the 200gb hd to the stock hd and not get banned? Would I need a different GT? Can M$ detect this?

#312 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,751 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE(xXGiuseppeXx @ Jun 16 2005, 02:29 PM)
Lordvader, a little help here is needed (also because i am more technological inferior than you). I have played live for about a little over a year and decided to mod my xbox. Its now modded with a x2 ce modchip with a evox bios and dash. Trying live one day, I got banned, chip was left on. Now since I dont think I approve with the marriage terms, would it be possible to just get a stock EEPROM and hd, stick into my xbox, and just put a switch in there to switch from the 200gb hd to the stock hd and not get banned? Would I need a different GT? Can M$ detect this?

View Post

as long as your using a switch to use only the stock HD on Live (with modchip disable) you will be fine with you old GT

if you get a new GT you can use a new, unbanned 200gb on Live

you sdhould also get a Live blocking bios for your chip to help prevent logging in with chip enabled

#313 chigawanai

chigawanai

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:21 PM

Hi.

I have a strange question.
My friend has an unmodded Xbox. It's never been modded or run anything homebrew. It's a US model and he's in the UK. Anyway tonight his HD died, and of course MS won't fix it since it's a US model. He's also on Live.

We're both taking part in a competition on Live so we need to get him back online ASAP. Would I be right in thinking that he could just replace his current broken HD with a virgin stock unbanned Xbox HD? See he can't actually change his eeprom because he's not chipped or anything. So if he did get an unbanned HD, would he or would he not get banned because of a HD Eeprom mismatch?

When I was banned for having the chip on once (d'oh) I replaced the HD with an unbanned virgin and a new eeprom, and it has worked fine. But I was able to change crap around in config magic. He can't

Any help would be great.
Thanks.

#314 pats2306

pats2306

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:56 PM

What happens if I have never subscribed to LIVE. I change my Stock HDD to a 120GB HDD & then setup LIVE. I have a Xenium chip installed. Will I Still get banned

#315 xXGiuseppeXx

xXGiuseppeXx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:09 AM

thank you very much lordvader

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users