krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 January 2005 - 09:56 AM

I will try to explain how to hide your real C drive and your eeprom as if they don't exist and only fake files are used. This method leaves no files on any other partitions. The images from the shadow C and the eeprom are stored on the real C drive and will not show up in ftp clients or hd browsers.
Remember nkpatcher's 10 shadow eeprom ability does not protect against kernel based linux eeprom tools but does protect against most apps that will touch the eeprom.

Warning: This affects the bootfiles of your xbox and I recomend to only do this with a simple recovery method like a gamesave exploit.
If you feel not secure or not fully understand all the steps in the tut please don't follow it.

Things needed:
-nkpatcher 10 + compiling abilities (nasm,xbedump)
-A file of aprox. 300 mb's. (could be any file)
-slayer's disc

Starting:

Nkpatcher's setup:

Setup nkpatcher using this example:
This goes in the virtual C section:
%define VIRTUAL_C_DRIVE 2
%define ACTUAL_C_DRIVE 8
%define VIRTUAL_C_PATH '\Device\Harddisk0\Partition8\shadowc.img'

This will put the shadow C image in a hidden partition on C

This goes in the eeprom section:
%define VIRTUAL_EEPROM
%define VIRTUAL_EEPROM_PATH '\Device\Harddisk0\Partition8\backup\eeprom.bin'

this willl take the eeprom image from the hidden partition's backup folder.

Ok now make sure that the config always boot DVD first. This is VERY important cuz you might be unable to load to your dash anymore later on.
;;; default is to boot DVD first, unless doing IGR to dash.

; %define BOOT_DASH_ONLY
; %define NORMAL_BOOT_ALWAYS

this is default and that's how it's supose to be. Like you can see the BOOT_DASH_ONLY option is comented out and thus not used.

Also remember to direct your nkpatcher to the right dashlocation. (default is c:\evoxdash.xbe)

Ok if all set compile and sign with habibi and put it wherever your nkpatcher is loaded from (I personally load my nkpatcher from C since that will be hidden afterwards).

If all went well you will see your dashboard come up.
Now first hit the evox backup option! If your evox isn't on the root of C you will have to manually put a folder called backup containing your eeprom.bin on the root of C since the nkpatcher looks on C:\backup\eeprom.bin for the eeprom image. If you used a dash On C it may also be wise to back that up to your pc.

Now connect through ftp and put the fake 300 mb file on C and name it shadowc.img

reboot and you should see an error screen coming up. Don't be afraid it's just that nkpatcher cannot find a dash on the fake image you just sent over.
If you didn't see an error screen that could mean nkpatcher looks for your dash on an other drive then C or something is wrong with the image file name and/or location. If you sure you have a dash on C and the error screen doesn't come up please recheck your setup.

open the tray and put in slayer's disc.
turn xbox off and on again and you should see slayer's come up.
notice the 0 bytes free space on C since all is taken by the fake file.
now go to format options and search for Format ONLY C. DON'T ever try to format any other partitions than C. Ok proceed with the C formatting. Now you should see about 300 mb's come up in the C partition's size.

Now search for the ins/restore M$dash option (in slayer's 2.5 it should be option 5-9)
press it and notice how the dash is copied over to the fake C partition you just created.

Now for the people that have nkpatcher boot to c:\evoxdash.xbe go to the evox install option and copy over evox (for slayer's 2.5 that should be option 5-4).

People that use another path then C:\evoxdash.xbe but do use the C partition now can ftp in and install their dash manually. (if you don't like the ftp settings you can use your gamesave exploit or another bootdisc to gain ftp acces)

People with a dash on a partition different from C can just reboot and it should take them to their own dash.

Okay take out slayer's disc and reboot the xbox and a dash should come up. If you used a fresh C from slayer's you might want to configure your ftp settings.

Now you can put back the backup of the dash you made to C so you have your own stuff back if you allready didn't.

Reboot

If all went well you should see your dash come up and you should not be able to locate any img files on C E F G or anywhere. At this point your shadow C image and your eeprom.bin are taken from the real C which is hidden and thus can't be accessed.
If you however do want to be able to to adjust any boot files from the REAL C you can load for instance phoenix bios loader out of the apps folder to replace the bios and acces the actual C.

Edited by Angerwound, 07 January 2005 - 02:18 PM.

#2 |vibez|

|vibez|

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 10:21 AM

Nice guide. Pretty much the same way I shadowed my drive.

#3 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 10:27 AM

I noticed a size of around 200 mb's might not be enough for recent game upgrades. I just tested it now with 300 mb's and it works fine. I can't edit it so I'm goin to contact a mod for the edit's.

#4 DaddyJ

DaddyJ

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 January 2005 - 12:07 PM

Nice work krazie, Chock up another great guide. smile.gif

#5 RolfLobker

RolfLobker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:42 PM

Ahem..... *click*
Maybe a bit more in depth.

Dunnoh wether or not Krayzie was inspired by that post or anything.
I think he's perfectly capable of doing this on his own.
I merely linked my post here because it is related and also explains some things about the shadow-c function.

#6 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(RolfLobker @ Jan 7 2005, 02:13 PM)
Ahem..... *click*
Maybe a bit more in depth.

Dunnoh wether or not Krayzie was inspired by that post or anything.
I think he's perfectly capable of doing this on his own.
I merely linked my post here because it is related and also explains some things about the shadow-c function.

View Post

yeah I did noticed your post and you explained things well but I felt like making one of my own since "no offence" it looks a bit confusing and takes some (I feel) unnescesarry steps (G drive?).

#7 RolfLobker

RolfLobker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:38 PM

Up until the placement of the shadow-c.img on the c-partition we basically do the same.
After that:

- You get an error and you have to boot from cd/dvd (omg Krayzie.. slayers? seriously.... that's what your using? tongue.gif What ever happened to just putting a dash on a disc yourself? tongue.gif )

- My method for bypassing the 'error' is using a g-partition and it's a necessary step. Without it you would have to use a bootdisc as in your example.

No offence or critisism meant at all.
I know you are someone who knows what you are doing.

The difference between our posts is basically that my post appeared when people did not understand the shadow-c function. Therefore I put a lot of words in there to do it step by step explaining things along the way (I hope) so that people would know WHY they kept getting errors.

Your method works just as well and is a lot more basic (in a positive way).

Cheers smile.gif

PS.
Ben je dezelfde Krayzie als op xbox-info forums? wink.gif

Edited by RolfLobker, 07 January 2005 - 02:46 PM.

#8 bdf24

bdf24

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:52 PM

If I normally load my nkpatcher from the E drive and want to load it from the C drive. I have to recompile my bert font to look for the nkpatcher on the C instead of the E correct?

#9 big ben bullet

big ben bullet

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 07 January 2005 - 03:08 PM

nope you need to recompile ernie not bert

and maybe a hex edit would do the trick also... still, i find it easier to just recompile it

#10 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(RolfLobker @ Jan 7 2005, 03:09 PM)
Up until the placement of the shadow-c.img on the c-partition we basically do the same.
After that:

- You get an error and you have to boot from cd/dvd (omg Krayzie.. slayers? seriously.... that's what your using? tongue.gif What ever happened to just putting a dash on a disc yourself?  tongue.gif )

- My method for bypassing the 'error' is using a g-partition and it's a necessary step. Without it you would have to use a bootdisc as in your example.

No offence or critisism meant at all.
I know you are someone who knows what you are doing.

The difference between our posts is basically that my post appeared when people did not understand the shadow-c function. Therefore I put a lot of words in there to do it step by step explaining things along the way (I hope) so that people would know WHY they kept getting errors.

Your method works just as well and is a lot more basic (in a positive way).

Cheers smile.gif

PS.
Ben je dezelfde Krayzie als op xbox-info forums? wink.gif

View Post

Well you can ofcourse use any bootdisc or even put evox on a different partition but slayer's allready has a msdash on it and I know lots of people in the softmod scene allready have a slayer's disc only cuz of that same reason. I did't say my way was the only way it's just a way and I just think it might be easy for some people allready owning the disc. And yeah it's supose to be basic cuz then it is more accesable for more people.
Anyway thanks for the compliments and yeah It's me from xbox-info.

Edited by krayzie, 07 January 2005 - 03:25 PM.

#11 bdf24

bdf24

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 03:20 PM

Thanks I thought maybe I had them mixed up. Still learning about the whole exploit thing. But I'm getting there. Atleast I'm confident enough that I actually feel more confortable doing the exploits manually instead of using an installer.

#12 total_ass

total_ass

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:13 PM

hey good tutorial krayzie.

by the way, if nkpatcher cannot find a shadow.img or eeprom.bin, will it just continue the boot process or normal or will it result in an error. i want to get nkpatcher running now, then setup the shadows later. i'm pretty sure that's possible.

btw partition 8 is completely unaccessible by all programs?

#13 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(total_ass @ Jan 7 2005, 04:44 PM)

by the way, if nkpatcher cannot find a shadow.img or eeprom.bin, will it just continue the boot process or normal or will it result in an error. i want to get nkpatcher running now, then setup the shadows later. i'm pretty sure that's possible.

View Post

yeah if nkpatcher loads up and cannot find an image file it will boot normally only with the real C partition ofcourse.
And yeah partition 8 is an unexisting partition.

#14 |vibez|

|vibez|

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(total_ass @ Jan 7 2005, 04:44 PM)

View Post

It will boot as normal using the real C drive & eeprom.

Partition 8 can still be viewed by linux based apps. I found this out originally when I formatted the real C instead of the virtual C sad.gif

#15 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(|vibez| @ Jan 7 2005, 04:52 PM)
It will boot as normal using the real C drive & eeprom.

Partition 8 can still be viewed by linux based apps. I found this out originally when I formatted the real C instead of the virtual C sad.gif

View Post

what apps are you refering too? every app that replaces the kernel will show the real C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users