X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:22 PM

Folks,

I wonder if the following scenario would result in a XBL ban:

I purchased 2 XBox Video Chat kits in Japan. They -of course- come with a CD that is NTSC-J. I am using one video chat kit and shipped the 2nd one to my friend in Europe. As expected, he cannot use the software as it is the wrong region and consequently cannot use the Video Chat kit.

I have now modified the default.xbe of the video chat software and enabled the correct region for Europe. I now wonder whether my friend in Europe could use the modified software on his unmodded XBox without getting banned.

Any suggestions are welcome.

P.S.: I am using 2 XBoxes (1 unmodded for XBL & a 2nd one with SmartXX for non-XBL apps)

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:53 AM

unless the video chat kit is like the xbox Live arcade and has no media check whatsoever this wont work since backups cant run on an unmodded xbox

#3 AndyJapan

AndyJapan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Jan 8 2005, 04:24 AM)
unless the video chat kit is like the xbox Live arcade and has no media check whatsoever this wont work since backups cant run on an unmodded xbox

View Post

Media-check? Well, with DeXBE you can also patch the XBE to accept all kinds of media. So, this shouldn`t be a problem, I assume.

I wonder whether MS is checking whether one is running an app that is not released for a region. In this case, my friend would use the Video Chat app (not released in Europe) on a European XBox. Not sure if they are going that far...

#4 Penfoldian

Penfoldian

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE(AndyJapan @ Jan 10 2005, 04:01 PM)
Media-check? Well, with DeXBE you can also patch the XBE to accept all kinds of media. So, this shouldn`t be a problem, I assume.

I wonder whether MS is checking whether one is running an app that is not released for a region. In this case, my friend would use the Video Chat app (not released in Europe) on  a European XBox.  Not sure if they are going that far...

View Post

WHAT u patching the xbe for? just change the region code number for Japan on the Europe xbox then stick in the original software disc... for example when I want to play my UK PAL games on my US xbox (on LIVE!) I change the region code from 1 to 4 (cant remember the right number) and then turn the chip off and its now a PAL xbox.

#5 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:58 PM

for whatever reason it didnt hit me til just now you cant patch an xbe at all, since that would invalidate the signature and prevent any retail xbox from running it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users