6 replies to this topic

#1 The_One_Question_Wonder

The_One_Question_Wonder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:03 AM

Hi,

I've read just about everything I need to know about modding my xbox and my chip is arriving this week, I just need to know what exactly "flashing" the chip means? I thought when you burn EvoX to a cd and install it that was called flashing the BIOS but I think i'm wrong, can someone set me straight?

Oh and also, I need to know what exact torx number of screwdriver i need to open my Xbox as my phillips head one didn't work. I'm hoping to pick up a really cheap small one from somewhere like radioshack.

Thanks!

#2 Legionnpk

Legionnpk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:07 AM

I haven't modded a xbox yet (this weed oh yea beerchug.gif ) but i know this. Flashing the bio's installs a bio's onto the modd chip. You cant use the bio's that comes with the chip (from my knowledge)... but thats vage 2 me, and for the screwdrivers you need a Torx 10 and 20...it says in the instalation tutorials you can pick up a whole kit @ www.system-mods.com for 8$ and it comes with everything you need

#3 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:08 AM

Read this, and this and finally this for all you need to know. wink.gif

Edit: "You cant use the bio's that comes with the chip (from my knowledge)... but thats vage 2 me"
About that:
With the exception of the 4th gen chips, especailly the Xenium, you DO use the BIOS pre-flashed on the chip (known as Cromwell/FlashBIOS) to flash the chip.

The kicker is, you have to flash a hacked, illegal BIOS by using FlashBIOS in order to do anything worthwhile.

Edited by Xombe, 08 January 2005 - 10:12 AM.

#4 The_One_Question_Wonder

The_One_Question_Wonder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:00 AM

*slaps myself*

Thanks for the replies guys, feel like a total tool for posting this sad.gif

Anyway, i've downloaded the Evox-M8 Bios, is this the best?

#5 darkkie

darkkie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:11 AM

it depends what kind of mod chip you're going to use

#6 The_One_Question_Wonder

The_One_Question_Wonder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:19 AM

I'm going to use using an Xecuter 2.6 CE.

#7 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:16 PM

What BIOS you use has shit to do with what chip you use. You can use any BIOS on any chip (with the exception of the X3 BIOS, which can only be used on the X3 chip.)

The two factors in BIOS choice are preference, and more importantly, Xbox version.

If you have an older box (pre-April 2004) that is a v1.0 to v1.5, you can use almost any BIOS you like. If you have a newer box, v1.6 or 1.6b, you HAVE to use the Evox M8 BIOS (and then choose which version of that you need, as the 1.6 and 1.6b have different RAM chips and thus require different BIOSes).

So, if you have a v1.0-1.5 box, I highly recommend the x2.4981 BIOS. It is modifiable, stable and has excellent IGR. The newer x2.4983 is fine, too, but can't be modified.

If you have to use the M8 BIOS because you have a v1.6/v1.6b box, then you'll need to know that X2.6 chips in v1.6 Xboxes need to have the BIOS flashed onto Bank TWO rather than Bank One.

I'm not sure if the X2.6 CE has this issue, but you should be aware of it.

Also, you'll need to resize your BIOS to 512kb to fit on the BIOS bank (the X2.6 has two 512kb banks...), which you can learn how do here.

Note: The X2.x chips are very much all the same, so that guide, although it references older versions of chips and FlashBIOS, is still spot on when it comes to resizing your BIOS and flashing from disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users