ChipInABox

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:18 AM

Hi, I would like to know if anyone has a pic, or can use MSpaint to circle a chip on the v1.6 motherboard of the eeprom chip, if it's similar to the use of a v1.0-1.5 eeprom chip, if there is one that is.
I have a couple v1.6 mbs here when cleaning everything up that were bad mod attemps by people, and wanted to know if I could desolder/solder the chips in a working Xbox (v1.6), then unlock and salvage the HDs. I've done this with pre-v1.6 Xboxes alot. I've also been wondering this out of curiosity. Thanks.

#2 ChipInABox

ChipInABox

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 04:11 PM

I've searched and haven't found anything on it. Has anyone looked into this?

#3 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 January 2005 - 04:27 PM

No, the EEPROM data is contained within the Xyclops (or it the other one, I don't have a board on hand) chip. I haven't investigated EEPROM recovery on 1.6 boards at all yet.

#4 ChipInABox

ChipInABox

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 04:37 PM

Ya, that's what I was thinking, it's embedded in the Xyclops or Xcalibur chips. So it'll be way too much work just to salvaged a locked HD then.

#5 catdog2

catdog2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE(ChipInABox @ Jan 8 2005, 04:42 PM)
I've searched and haven't found anything on it. Has anyone looked into this?

View Post

ummm, you might want to look a little bit closer.... the eeprom is right next to the LPC header on the top side of the motherboard.

Physically it is the same chip, but encrypted differently - you can use Yoshihiro's build of liveinfo to decrypt/edit it.

#6 Trevante

Trevante

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE(ChipInABox @ Jan 8 2005, 10:08 AM)
Ya, that's what I was thinking, it's embedded in the Xyclops or Xcalibur chips. So it'll be way too much work just to salvaged a locked HD then.

View Post

Well catdog already answered your question, but, I believe the smartxx will allow you to boot w/o an eeprom or bios, so even if you can't find the eeprom chip, you should be able to put a smartxx in those boxes and recover the HDD's.

Edited by Trevante, 08 January 2005 - 11:12 PM.

#7 ChipInABox

ChipInABox

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 12:52 AM

I'd just like to unlock these HDs. So if I would desolder/solder that 8-legged chip next to the lpc into a working v1.6, it would work just like the eeprom chip from the v1.0-1.5, same properties?

#8 ChipInABox

ChipInABox

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:03 PM

Just to confirm that the chip in this pic is the v1.6's eeprom chip, and can be desoldered/soldered into a v1.6 with a bad eeprom, or is banned, and work fine. Ignore the blue, I saw this pic in another thread that I posted in, perfect pic of the mb in question.

user posted image

Thanks again for the help.

Edited by ChipInABox, 21 January 2005 - 12:03 PM.

#9 catdog2

catdog2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 02:03 AM

Yes the chip in your picture is the eeprom.

It can be desoldered/soldered into another v1.6. I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like the RAM information for v1.6 and v1.6b (Samsung/Hynix) might also be stored in the eeprom - so I would suggest you stick to a motherboard with the same type of RAM to be on the safe side.

#10 ChipInABox

ChipInABox

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:09 AM

Cool, I just have a couple 1.6s that people have tried to do the rebuild and have killed, so I'm just going to desolder and save these eeprom chips incase I run across a corrupt 1.6 eeprom Xbox, or anyone needs them. btw, I've never run across a v1.6'b' yet. I've done prob. at least 50 v1.6s. Do they not make the 'b's anymore (Hynix RAM)?, bc I've recently been buying alot of Xboxes brand new, and nothing. Thanks again CatDog for confiming that for me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users