13 replies to this topic

#1 D313373R

D313373R

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:12 PM

I see a lot of tuner cars here. So i was wondering what is the best first tuner car, and how much power can you get with what mods.

#2 mike96sc2

mike96sc2

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 January 2005 - 09:05 PM

Buy what you like, thats all that matters.

Figure out what kind of car you want and you'll find forums for it that will answer your questions a lot better than this one.

No point in "tuning" a car you don't like when you can buy something you like and enjoy it. It's all about what you like, unless you're looking to be Fast & Furious, which just makes you lame.

Edited by mike96sc2, 08 January 2005 - 09:07 PM.

#3 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 January 2005 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE(D313373R @ Jan 8 2005, 07:43 PM)
I see a lot of  tuner cars here. So i was wondering what is the best first tuner car, and how much power can you get with what mods.

View Post

That really depends what you are looking for. Do you just want a car that will give you as much HP for as little money as possible (super-fast quarter-mile car on the track). If so then a Foxbody Mustang would probably be your best bet. They are relatively light and can easily handle 500-600HP. Now, if you want something that gives you handling as well as power and it is pretty easy to mod (as well as cost-effective) then a Turbo Mitsubishi Eclipse would be a good choice. It will cost a bit more than the foxbody and not give you quite as much HP (nor the quarter-mile times) but you will get a very quick launch vehicle if you get the AWD model.

#4 dj_sensations

dj_sensations

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Cars And my modded XBox.

Posted 09 January 2005 - 05:28 AM

dont be a shmuck, buy a stang and twin turbo the fucking thing

Hello 400+ HP

#5 SupraKid

SupraKid

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:my MK4 Supra and my xboxes :)
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 January 2005 - 05:35 AM

if you want to go fast cheap, fo with a foxbody...perfect first car to learn alot from.

#6 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:09 PM

really you have to be more specific than just "makes the most power" you have to consider your price limit, how much work you want to have to do, also how much do you care about factors other than straight line racing...

If you want pure drag performance for the lowest price possible then I agree with the above guys about an F-body Mustang, If you're looking for absolute High Horsepower numbers, and cost is no object then I'd say either an Mach IV Supra, or anything that can handle the Banks Power Twin Turbo 350 engine. (both can put you up around 1200hp but at quite the premium cost).

If you're looking for a good all weather low price track car, I'd recommend anything with AWD and a turbo (Eclipse GTX, Impreza WRX/STi, Lancer EVO, Audi S4, etc)

There are so many factors involved, it's not just a clear cut question about which car is "king", it's a fine balance between power, handling, style and price. If you're serious about getting a tuner car then first determine what you want it to do then hit up some forums to see what others are doing to it, how big that scene is, and what problems they run into, then go and test drive a few models that fit that end...

As long as it makes you happy thats all that really matters. I have myself a WRX and sure it has it's short comings and some people don't like it. But the fact remains that I never step out of that car without a smile on my face from ear to ear and in the end... nothing else matters.

beerchug.gif

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by twistedsymphony, 10 January 2005 - 04:12 PM.

#7 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 10 2005, 04:40 PM)

As long as it makes you happy thats all that really matters. I have myself a WRX and sure it has it's short comings and some people don't like it. But the fact remains that I never step out of that car without a smile on my face from ear to ear and in the end... nothing else matters.

View Post

WRONG....

The car he wants is a 1991 Subaru SVX.

Actually listen to what was written above. It really depends on what you want from a car. You money situation. What you wnt for insurance bills. Repair bills. Gas bills. Does it need 4 doors? Or AWD? Or a trunk?

There's really tons of factors that goes into buying a car. There is absolutely no "best". The closest you can come is to find a best for you..

#8 Mommy8me

Mommy8me

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:17 PM

Go get an old 5.0 smile.gif Cheap as hell to mod compared to my stang.

#9 nightracer352

nightracer352

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:cars, motorcycles (anything that goes fast) and electronics
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:25 AM

okay now the supra bullet proof engine and tranny great choice

the 240sx i know what you guys are thinking but it is not that hard to drop in an rb26dett (with minor mods) the swap will cost you but the tranny and engine are again great hell i still have the rb26dett sitting in my shop from where i was gonna do the swap and ended up flipping the car

(around 140mph hit a patch of oil on the highway during a race slidesideway put the tail into the concrete barrior then powered out of the wall but i was still sideways then tires blew out around 100 then flipped at around 80 ended up on the top thank god for the cage)

also the sti and if done right the evo

also the rx7 and 300z the ecotec platform is great but only in the light stuff ie the sunfire and cavi oh and i only recomend the ecotec if you want to add a turbo

the old awd talon and eclipse (same car) are great too just keep in mind if you go awd you have to upgrade 4 half shafts (i recomend you do this right asap when going big with a talon or eclipse

good luck beerchug.gif

#10 yaazz

yaazz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:27 PM

GEO STORM!

Seriously though, if you want to mod for cheap, go with a Civic, The fact that everyone has got one, and everyone is Ricing them, means that there are going to be a lot of aftermarket parts available. When there are a lot of parts, and a lot of competition, the prices go down, and you win

#11 ChipInABox

ChipInABox

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:24 PM

I have a '00 Civic Hatch, and have been looking into the 240sx. They look like a nice car, esp. the '96 models.

#12 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(yaazz @ Jan 24 2005, 06:58 PM)
GEO STORM!

Seriously though, if you want to mod for cheap, go with a Civic, The fact that everyone has got one, and everyone is Ricing them, means that there are going to be a lot of aftermarket parts available. When there are a lot of parts, and a lot of competition, the prices go down, and you win

View Post

You gotta be kidding me. Didn't you read the original post, he is looking for the cheapest POWER, not a body kit with a fart cannon. You could put 20K under the hood of a Civic and it won't even begin to compare what you can do with 10-15K under the hood of a 'stang or an eclipse.

#13 yaazz

yaazz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Jan 25 2005, 11:13 AM)
You gotta be kidding me.  Didn't you read the original post, he is looking for the cheapest POWER, not a body kit with a fart cannon.  You could put 20K under the hood of a Civic and it won't even begin to compare what you can do with 10-15K under the hood of a 'stang or an eclipse.

View Post

Yeah thats true, but he said "Tuner" cars, which is ususally a nice way to say Ricer tongue.gif
Either way I don't think hes coming back

#14 fishlord

fishlord

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Jan 25 2005, 11:13 AM)
You gotta be kidding me.  Didn't you read the original post, he is looking for the cheapest POWER, not a body kit with a fart cannon.  You could put 20K under the hood of a Civic and it won't even begin to compare what you can do with 10-15K under the hood of a 'stang or an eclipse.

View Post

none of those numbers count as cheap...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users