4 replies to this topic

#1 spacefrog

spacefrog

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:55 PM

Yeah I've had a fun day hotflashing and kililng PC bioses today.

I've got an ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe rev 1.04 here that has a corrupted bios. Been trying to hot flash it with no success.

Can I whack that chip in (it's a 4mb chip) to the alladin, and hotflash the PC bios using raincoat or something. The bios file is 512k. So is the other 3.5mb used to store cmos settings etc?

How would I go about getting raincoat to recognise the new chip, (what do i put in the conf file) and where does the bios go? in the first 512k ? in which case I assume an old version of raincoat might work?

#2 Arius

Arius

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:58 PM

I doubt it... infact I would say its impossible but saying that leaves me open to someone saying diffrent biggrin.gif

Some motherboards have protection against bad flash's and will boot off a FD and display video via an old ISA video card.

If you have an old PC about (and indeed have an ISA slot on the mobo they are rare these days) you may be able to boot it.

I would also (if you havent allready) see what they say on Asus's site about bad flash's, as if they do have a failsafe the info will be there.

#3 Arius

Arius

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:11 PM

What do you know, I am not as out of touch as I thought biggrin.gif

It appears Asus offer a similar thing

http://usa.asus.com/...shfreebios2.htm

Dunno if it helps you, but thats how to restore a bad flash on an Asus it appears.

#4 spacefrog

spacefrog

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the link, but it turns out that it's a relatively new feature and it's not found on the A7N8X board sad.gif

from the sounds of it, I would've known if it had that feature. Right now nothing comes on the screen, instead of some awesome flash utility screen.

#5 spacefrog

spacefrog

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:44 AM

Finished up with all the hot flashing today.

Turns out that the 4mb bios chip is 4mbit's which is the same size as 512kbytes

I was able to flash a 256kbyte bios for the A7N8X (NON DELUXE) onto a SST flash chip using an aladdin chip.

and from there I booted up the a7N8X-Deluxe and quickly hotswapped and flashed a 512kbyte bios.

So yes you can certainly flash a PC bios by hotflashing modchips.

The only problem I had was that I couldnt get raincoat or evox to recognise the 4mbit flash chip. which was a PMC, PM49FL004.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users