Photo

Sometimes It Works....sometimes It Doesn't.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dkcp

dkcp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, bikes, beer and babes...

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:55 PM

I installed a Alladin 64 chip in a friends 1.4 Xbox. It worked for a few weeks and then suddenly it wouldn't boot at all. Nothing happened. I removed the chip and it booted fine without the chip. I figured the chip was dead so I decided to replace it.

I replaced it with a Aladdin Live+ chip and it worked for about a week. During this week the box sometimes wouldn't turn off when you pressed the power button and finally it wouldn't boot at all, didn't even light up.

At this point I was getting pretty pissed about this since I've modded about 15 boxes succesfully and always been very carefull. I disassembled it and went over the LPC points with an iron and replaced the chip with a Aladdin XT chip.

It still pretty much the same story. The box will work for a while, I can switch it on and off and then after a few hours it won't boot up. During this time the box hasn't been moved around. I let it sit for a few hours and suddenly it works again.

So at this point I don't know what to do. I'm suspecting the power/eject panel but somehow that doesn't feel like that could cause erratic behaviour like this. Could it be the BT component that's fried?

All hints and ideas are very welcome... thanks..

#2 HackDaBox

HackDaBox

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • Interests:XBOX-SCENE
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:25 AM

is the fan spinning ?

is the fan blades clean or full of dust ... it seems to be a heat issue !

HackDaBox !

#3 bemad31102

bemad31102

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:53 AM

Is the chip installed on a header? If it is try putting a piece of electrical tape under the mother board where the header is. I had a problem like this and it was grounding out some how. This happened to me twice and it worked when I did this. If it is a heating issue the the front lights will turn orange. I have never had a over heating issue with out the orange lights. I hope this helps. I also could be wrong about the orange lights for over heating problems. Every over heating XBOX I have seen has the orange lights (I seen and fixed about 8 or more like that).

#4 dkcp

dkcp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, bikes, beer and babes...

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:09 AM

Yes, the chip is installed on a pinheader. Do you mean that I should put eletrical tape under the pinheader before soldering it in place???

The fan is spinning and I don't think it's an overheating issue since the behaviour is so erratic ie. If it's running it can run for hours on end with no problems and sometimes it wont boot even after being shutdown over night.

That the box is grounding out somewhere is a more plausible possibility but still doesn't explain the very erratic behaviour.

Edited by dkcp, 11 January 2005 - 07:11 AM.

#5 bemad31102

bemad31102

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:12 PM

Place electrical tape under the pin header after you have soldered it to the board. Install the header and then place the tape over the solder points. Are you using the D0 wire on top or under the board? The one underneath the board is far bigger then the one on top. Making it easier to use as well. Look for those alt. D0 wire connections and try that. Good luck

#6 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:56 PM

This is nothing to do with the chip install by the sound of it.
You said no power light no nothing when you tried to switch it on?
If so whip out the power supply and check the soldering on the mains input socket pins it may be cracked and would cause the intermittent boot problems.
It won't be the R3G3 BT resitor as the problems when this goes are usually that the box powers on as soon as you connect the mains to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users