#1 dman7

dman7

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:11 AM

In the past, all the people I know that have had laptops ethier had problems with them or they broke in a couple of years. That was a few years ago, are they made any better now? The reason being is that I am thinking about buying one instead of upgradeing my computer....

Thanks,
-Dman

#2 npp

npp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:35 AM

IBM makes the best notebooks, tons of great features for a mobile computer. Check out their website!

Unless you want a pure gaming notebook, then alienware's are HOTTT

#3 nightracer352

nightracer352

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:cars, motorcycles (anything that goes fast) and electronics
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 11 January 2005 - 05:49 AM

i think it wastoms hardware guide who said that the new alien laptop was really to heavy to use as a true laptop not if i were you i would build my own laptop i mean yeah sure its gonna be harder to find the parts but it will be better and have all of the stuff you want and nothing you dont want and really its not much harder to build a latop than it is to build a desktop (from what i have heard) the hardest part is getting the parts but if you do want store baught then go with sony dell or alienware they offer the best performance in as large of as small as you want it (the new sony vaio i saw the other day was just a lil bigger than a hand held dvd player [the kind that look like latops] )

either way good luck beerchug.gif

#4 dman7

dman7

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:25 AM

Forget about building my own laptop....the parts are hard to come by and most for sale are used.

What about how long do laptops last? That is my main concern(especially the hard drive life) with the enviroment being all small and the heat inside of the unit...

-dman

Edited by dman7, 11 January 2005 - 06:30 AM.

#5 nightracer352

nightracer352

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:cars, motorcycles (anything that goes fast) and electronics
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:14 AM

well as far as i have seen they are pretty good i have the single one i have dedicated to run my car systems (fuel maps and such) and it can run alot when i go out and race but so far no problems and also it is usually on the seat or the floor and always gets jarred and knocked around

what do you want the thing for i mean games media office applications internet i mean we need more info if you want help

#6 jimmy_hendrix

jimmy_hendrix

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:34 PM

ITC MELlenia 7300

The best laptop for gaming. Pulls a 8000 in 3dmark 03.

I know becouse i build the laptops for ITC. if u want one i can get u it at a good price.

#7 fishlord

fishlord

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:39 PM

They are good if you get a good one. I also would not bother with building your own. Brands to check out: fujitsu, ibm, asus, apple (if u could handle not using windows), and dell actually has some pretty decent ones too. Then there are the extreme gaming ones but those are really rediculous for anything other than gaming (super heavy, and battery life of like 30 minutes).

#8 Baner

Baner

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:10 PM

I've had mine for a fair year and a half now. No problems with the hard drive, nothing wrong with the chip itself. Upgraded the Ram to 768. Only down side is the lack of HDD space, but they make larger drives if you wanna drop the cash.
As far as I can tell, all my pixels are still in working order(no pops), the keyboard is in perfect shape, there is a bit of wear on the corners of the laptop itself (everyday use stuff, bit of the paint or whatever rubbing off) but other than that, it's in perfect shape. I got a Mobo temp monitor program the other day, and my Laptop was running at 44 celcius after playing WoW for 6 hours. Not sure how hot that is, but it's never had heat problems that I know of.

#9 cromat44

cromat44

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 January 2005 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE(nightracer352 @ Jan 10 2005, 10:45 PM)
well as far as i have seen they are pretty good i have the single one i have dedicated to run my car systems (fuel maps and such) and it can run alot when i go out and race but so far no problems and also it is usually on the seat or the floor and always gets jarred and knocked around

what do you want the thing for i mean games media office applications internet i mean we need more info if you want help

View Post

you can get better than an 8000 in 3dmark03 with a laptop... im pretty sure ive seen it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users