11 replies to this topic

#1 Silv3rman

Silv3rman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:05 AM

Yes, I know that this question has been asked before many times. I did try using the search fuction but my queries came up with either nothing or having to use "hdd" variants which came up with too many results. Anyways, anyone know of a method to fitting 2 hdds in the stock case? I know Palmore fit 4 but he did a complete remodel of the case which is too much for me to do. I've heard methods of putting the hdds horizontal and placing them side by side but it didnt look like they would fit; anyone got successful pics? Ive also heard that you could fit it under the dvdrom or hdd by shaving down one of the heatsinks; anyone done that? Also, I need both the hdds to be regular size, not laptop. Ive got to get in my stock hdd to play on LIVE and my banned 160 which ill have on a switch. Any positive advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 jeeproject

jeeproject

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:14 AM

With some slight reworking you could fit a stock Seagate under your dvd drive. That would satisify your dual hd requirements and keep your dvd drive which you would need for Xbox Live. There is a thread in this forum somewhere. You shouldn't have to dig too hard to find it or some might have a link to it.

#3 mrright01

mrright01

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:$, cars, modifying projects on anything
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:15 AM

check my sig, it's not the best, but it works. cut hd tray legs off and insert into dvd tray with some liquid nail

#4 ninjax

ninjax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Custom case mod's<br />Aikido<br />paintball (2002 Autococker Tricked out)
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:16 AM

Here you go

smile.gif

#5 Silv3rman

Silv3rman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:18 AM

Thanks for the advice jeeproject ill look into that tomorrow. mrright01 thanks for the advice, is there supposed to be a link at your sig or just showing you have dual hdds?

#6 jeeproject

jeeproject

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:18 AM

QUOTE(mrright01 @ Jan 11 2005, 04:46 AM)
check my sig, it's not the best, but it works.

You might want to check your sig because there is nothing relating to this in it. It appears that something in your sig is against the rules and has been edited by a moderator.

#7 Silv3rman

Silv3rman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:20 AM

Damn ninjax!!!! Thank you! Ill have to get to work on that tomorrow. Just seeing that pic really gave me hope biggrin.gif

#8 ninjax

ninjax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Custom case mod's<br />Aikido<br />paintball (2002 Autococker Tricked out)
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE(Silv3rman @ Jan 10 2005, 10:51 PM)
Damn ninjax!!!! Thank you! Ill have to get to work on that tomorrow. Just seeing that pic really gave me hope  biggrin.gif

View Post

Just a word of advice. If you look closly at the righthand side of the dvd drive, you will see that I removed the drive "guiders" Avoide this if you can. It really didnt hurt anything, but it jumps a little when it comes all the way out.

#9 lmk29o

lmk29o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Skiing, Videogames, Working on my website, modding my xbox.

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:40 AM

That is really cool, do you have pics of that xbox with the case on? Did you keep the DVD tray, and just dremel off the sides and back? Looks great and i really like your case is that a skin? Is it possible to stack the xbox so they fit on top of eachother instead? Just wondering.

Edited by lmk29o, 11 January 2005 - 04:42 AM.

#10 Silv3rman

Silv3rman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:31 AM

lmk29o, im working on mine now. Im using the hdd tray as a stand for the hdds; if you dremel the edges off the hdd and use its lowest point all around while keeping the 3 'feet' it works perfectly. All that I have left to do is cut off another 1/6" off of the dvd tray, its still a little too tight. Ill post more pics when I finish tomorrow (hopefully.) I used some 24AWG wire to extend my Y molex cable, the thing was too small. Luckily it all works smile.gif

DVD:
user posted image

HDD:
user posted image

IDE CABLE & SWITCH:
user posted image

#11 Silv3rman

Silv3rman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 01:10 AM

Almost there! Yesterday after finishing putting the dvdrom back together I realized I had to dremel it out some more. After doing that I was done for the day. The only problem is I somewhat stripped one of the wires in one of the ribbon cables that goes from the laser to one of the boards. Anyone know a place that sells those, its a Thompson drive? I dont want to have to buy a whole new/broken on eBay laser.

Today I got a lot done. My mobo is a v1. I decided to desolder the lpc points and do a pin install rather than the wire header, it takes up too much room. After finishing that I took a spare bottom xbox case and cut out the hole for the switch. I just finished removing/screwing in everything. Now I just need to get the IDE cable to fit nicely under everything and pray that that ribbon cable wasnt ruined. blink.gif

user posted image

user posted image

#12 Silv3rman

Silv3rman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 11:54 PM

Nice... lot of comments tongue.gif Anyways.. I've been putting this off because I know that ribbon cable is screwed. I just won an auction on eBay for 8 DRE Thomson drives. I'll just take the ribbon cable out of one of those. Hopefully I'll finish this by Friday!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users