#16 Kyro

Kyro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE(Kthulu @ Feb 2 2005, 11:58 PM)
1.  you CAN have shadowc.img on the REAL c partition and nkpatcher will load it.

ok here i may be wrong, i wasnt sure at the time i was posting

QUOTE(Kthulu @ Feb 2 2005, 11:58 PM)
2.  once the shadowc.img is loaded, the reall C partition is hidden.  at this point, if you see a shadowc.img on C you can just delete it.
3.  you CAN remap the real C to some other drive letter, though i'm not sure why you would need this, [...]

why? because nkpatcher need to launch unleashx (located on the real C)
so without the remap, i cant have access to unleash (and no i dont wanna launch it from E wink.gif )

ava and evox does it, so unleashx should do it wink.gif cause ux does it better for all the rest wink.gif

#17 smashly

smashly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 05:31 AM

Hey Kyro , instead of using F or G drive ( Partition6=F or Partition7=G) have you tried mounting real C as Partition8 ? (there's no reserved drive letter for partition 8 as far as I'm aware).

That's what I'm doing with unleashx atm and it's working fine.

why Partition8 you may ask. The reason I use Partition8 is I use F & G for files. (320GB HD) while real C is mapped to partition8 it won't rob me of my files on F or G.

My shadowc.img is on real C, My real C is mapped to partition8 , my shadow C is 200MB with orig MS Dash and UnleashX.
In my shadowc.img I have placed pbl+M8 and in the config.xml in shadowc has a passworded menu item to launch pbl+M8 from unleashx menu. This way I can always get back to real C for editing and others I do it for don't accidently tamper with real C.

This works on standard xbox hd with no F or with F partition.
Once you put it together this way you'll be able to use your real C/shadowc on any xbox with any size HD with out sacraficing a useable partition and it'll keep others that use your xbox from changing real C by accident.

My 2 cents , but each his own.
cool.gif

#18 Kyro

Kyro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE(smashly @ Feb 4 2005, 04:37 AM)
[...]my shadow C is 200MB with orig MS Dash and UnleashX.[...]

my shadowc only contains the ms dash,

unleashx is on my real C,
on my retail xbox (so no f, and no g), once remap on f, g or patition 8, unleashx doesnt work properly :
- when real c is remaped to g or partition 8, unleashx cant even load its config.xml
- but when real c is remaped to f, it can load its config.xml but there are still little icon bugs (icons in the settings menu doesn t show)

#19 smashly

smashly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(Kyro @ Feb 4 2005, 10:42 AM)
my shadowc only contains the ms dash,

unleashx is on my real C,

now I can see why you got probs with unleashx while running a shadowc.img...

I have unleashx on real c as well (That's for when I boot pbl so I can get to real C when needed)
But I also have my unleashx in shadowc.img. I can only see nothing but probs running a shadowc but running the dash from real C while it's mapped to G.
Now I see where your coming from sort of.

What's the purpose/benefits of running unleashx from a hiddden mapped real C while running a shadowc.img? ... I'm missing something here I'm sure.

If you have Unleashx & orig MS Dash inside your shadowc.img and your shadow.img is on real C and you point nkpatcher to map real C to partition 8 , mount your shadowc.img on partition8 as partition2 © then unleashx doesn't miss a beat.

Edited by smashly, 04 February 2005 - 05:47 PM.

#20 Kyro

Kyro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE(smashly @ Feb 4 2005, 04:43 PM)
[...]What's the purpose/benefits of running unleashx from a hiddden mapped real C while running a shadowc.img? ... I'm missing something here I'm sure.[...]

newbie proof installation, and then none of the vital exploit files could be removed by accident

#21 smashly

smashly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(Kyro @ Feb 4 2005, 06:27 PM)
newbie proof installation, and then none of the vital exploit files could be removed by accident

View Post

??? that don't make sense to me... unleashx isn't a vital needed part to keep the exploit files proteccted....

If you hide unleashx config.xml and unleashx from the user (n00b or ol'skool) then it just means they can't configure their dash while shadowc is loaded.
That's not really a fault of the unleashx dash.

Even if a n00b deleted UnleashX or the MS dash out of shadowc then the xbox would still boot from disc be it orig game or an unsigned code disc ,so it still doesn't render the xbox/exploit useless.

The only way I can see the vital exploit files being deleted is if the user booted the xbox without running shadowc and deleted files on real c that are actually part of the exploit or if the eeprom hasn't been edited to stop a disc loading and it forced a dash update before nkpatcher loaded.

Sorry but I still don't see the point of running unleashx from anywhere outside the shadowc while shadowc is loaded.
It's just my thick head I'm sure.

That's enuff said by me.
Best of Luck.

#22 Kthulu

Kthulu

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 February 2005 - 01:47 AM

smashly, thank you for being so articulate and having patience...my thoughts exactly on everything you've said...except i don't understand the need to re-map the real C to another partition if you do have unleashx installed in the shadowc.img...especially if you want to hide the real C anyway...

Edited by Kthulu, 05 February 2005 - 01:51 AM.

#23 Kyro

Kyro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE(smashly @ Feb 4 2005, 10:25 PM)
??? that don't make sense to me... unleashx isn't a vital needed part to keep the exploit files proteccted....

If you hide unleashx config.xml and unleashx from the user (n00b or ol'skool) then it just means they can't configure their dash while shadowc is loaded.
That's not really a fault of the unleashx dash.

yes it is, avalaunch and evolutionx can do it without any problem (and those 2 dashboards can be configured even if shadowc is loaded

QUOTE(smashly @ Feb 4 2005, 10:25 PM)
Even if a n00b deleted UnleashX or the MS dash out of shadowc then the xbox would still boot from disc be it orig game or an unsigned code disc ,so it still doesn't render the xbox/exploit useless.

i know that the dashboard could be on E or in shadowc.img, and i know that a boot disc could resolve a possible deletion problem, but i just want the best newbie proof installation (it s just too bad to see a bug in unleashx that is not present in ava and evox)

#24 Kthulu

Kthulu

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 February 2005 - 09:49 AM

noob proof? what happens when your noob decides to upgrade his dashboard switch to a different one? just think about an army of noobs who had someone else setup their xbox this way...coming to these forums trying to get help. can you imagine how much confusion it would create? i think this is an awful way to 'noob-proof' a box. noob-proofing should be done through careful menu construction imho.

bug? i wouldn't call it a bug. i'm sure this has to do with how the different dashes mount their partitions. obviously, unleashx made some different design choices than avalaunch and evox. unleashx was on the scene before nkpatcher and the ability to do all this crazy partition re-mapping and hiding. imho this is not a bug. it's an unsupported user configuration. i'm sure support will eventually be added if it makes sense. it doesn't make sense to me, but i'm just an idiot.

#25 smashly

smashly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE(Kthulu @ Feb 5 2005, 12:53 AM)
smashly, thank you for being so articulate and having patience...my thoughts exactly on everything you've said...except i don't understand the need to re-map the real C to another partition if you do have unleashx installed in the shadowc.img...especially if you want to hide the real C anyway...

View Post

Your welcome

Reason why I would map my real C to a partition ( partition8 in my case) is if I don't map my real C when my shadowc.img is on real C then where would nkpatcher look to load/link shadowc.img as virtual C.
From what I gathered if you wanna run your shadowc.img it has to be on some form of mapped patition .... as partition8 as real C then my real C is hidden from current day apps dashes on patition 8 (no defined drive letter for patition8) and it doesn't reserve my F or G drive leaving them available for files that I wanna use while shadowc is loaded.

I found if I had my shadowc on the real C and I didn't map real C to a partition then my xbox just hung on boot , prob just me or something I missed, but I tried mutiple differant ways with shadowc on real C and the only way it worked for me was to map real C and load shadowc from the mapped real C.

wow did I type all that .. I'm gunna have to learn shorten my responses.
sorry about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users