14 replies to this topic

#1 mhernie

mhernie

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:25 PM

In the past I've been able to hack a skin together to my liking by taking an existing skin and tweaking some graphics and xml files. However, now it seems that all skins are compiled and access to graphics are locked up in the Textures.xpr file.

I have searched and searched and it seems that there is no way to get access to skin graphics once they're in the Textures.xpr format. I also thought that I could simply add the .png graphic files to the media folder of the skin I wanted to tweak and those files would override any embedded within Textures.xpr, but that too didn't work.

Someone released a Project Mayhem Blue skin a little while back and I was able to see all the skin's graphics files, but now with new XBMC changes that skin no longer works.

It would be great if at least one skin, like the default skin Project Mayhem, could be left open and accessible so that amateur skin makers could learn and tweak files and still stay up to date with the lastest awesome features of XBMC. I checked the CVS, but now it seems that only Textures.xpr is updated and not the individual graphics files.

#2 j_guzzler

j_guzzler

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:31 PM

You can use your own graphics, just place them in the media folder
-Hint: name the image different from that of the original skin, as it iwll first look in the textures file then the media file

-Also project mayhem skins at least are open source and they do provide their images, not sure if this is against the rules but they are posted on sourceforge, I have found them, so just look....

#3 JayDee

JayDee

X-S Legend

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:11 PM

http://cvs.sourcefor...20Mayhem/media/

#4 Konsolkongen

Konsolkongen

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE(j_guzzler @ Jan 12 2005, 05:02 PM)
You can use your own graphics, just place them in the media folder
-Hint: name the image different from that of the original skin, as it iwll first look in the textures file then the media file

View Post

Is there a way to change this? So it will look in the texture file last? It kinda sucks if i have to change all the xml's in PMII every time its updated.

Think about it...

#5 mrjkwik

mrjkwik

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:35 AM

you can extract and inject xprs using miteexpr. look for it in the tools section of x-s

#6 Konsolkongen

Konsolkongen

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:04 AM

But thats not gonna make it, any easier. Then i have to do that every time.

The easiest solution would be, if MC searched for files like 16x9home-mymusic.png in the media folder first.

#7 tslayer

tslayer

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:52 AM

It does. XBMC will use the pngs instead of what is stored in the Textures.xpr if it finds it in the media folder.

TS

#8 Konsolkongen

Konsolkongen

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 02:45 PM

It diden't work last time i tried it...

But that might have been an older version of MC.

#9 mhernie

mhernie

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:01 PM

I have tried that on a very recent build (1/2/05) and it does not work.

Here is what I did:

First, I downloaded every single graphic for the default Project Mayhem skin in the CVS and transfered to the media folder of the skin and then deleted Textures.xpr. I have confirmed that I have a complete version of the skin in working condition.

I then tweaked some of the graphic icons to my liking and transfer them to the skins media folder.

Now I have a custom skin that I like and can use.

To test if Textures.xpr overrides these individual files, I copied Textures.xpr back into the skin media folder that contains my working custom skin.

Now XBMC is back to the original Project Mayhem skin, all of my custom graphics were overridden by Textures.xpr. The only graphic changes that worked were for background.png and background2.png. Since these are included separate from Textures.xpr, I'm not sure they are even compiled in Textures.xpr in the first place.

Would be great if the order could be reversed.

#10 tslayer

tslayer

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 05:03 PM

Sounds like a bug then. Create a sourceforge bug report please.

TS

#11 mhernie

mhernie

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:12 PM

Bug submitted to SourceForge:

https://sourceforge....054&atid=581838

#12 j_guzzler

j_guzzler

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:45 PM

Has anyone else gotten the miteexpr program to work? The only thing it does for me is create a small text file, nothing else.....

#13 j_guzzler

j_guzzler

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:13 AM

Bumping this cause I would like to be able to extract the pics out of the texture.xpr....(for those skinners that dont post their pics)

now I have heard and tried this Miteexpr, but it doesnt work, it just creates a blank text file.....Has anyone been able to get it to work?

#14 Yuyu

Yuyu

X-S Spirit Detective

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Football (Soccer) ... Umm, Xbox?
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(j_guzzler @ Jan 15 2005, 01:44 AM)
Bumping this cause I would like to be able to extract the pics out of the texture.xpr....(for those skinners that dont post their pics)

now I have heard and tried this Miteexpr, but it doesnt work, it just creates a blank text file.....Has anyone been able to get it to work?

View Post

There is no known way to extract the files from the textures.xpr file.

#15 j_guzzler

j_guzzler

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:52 PM

K thanks, just read up on people using MiteeXPR to extract to dds format which can then be saved to png.....they were using it on the DOA skinning.....must be different .xpr's or something....

-MiteeXPR is also posted on the xbox-scene tools as a tool for doing so....ah well, will have to try to get the pics somehow...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users