• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:What doesn't interest me? :P
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:47 AM

From www.wikipedia.org:

QUOTE(wikipedia)
EFnet or Eris Free network (also written EFNet) is a major IRC network, with over 100,000 users.

Initially, most IRC servers formed a single network, to which new servers could join without restriction, but this was soon abused by people who set up servers to sabotage other users, channels or servers. When, in August 1990, server eris.berkeley.edu remained the only one to allow anyone to connect servers, IRC server operator Greg Lindahl broke away to start EFnet. The resulting argument split the IRC community of admins into EFnet and A-net, but A-net soon vanished, leaving EFnet as the only IRC network.

Continuing problems with performance and abuse eventually led to the rise of another major IRC network, Undernet, which split off in October 1992.

In July 1996, disagreement on policy caused EFnet to break in two: the slightly larger European half (including Australia and Japan) formed IRCnet, while the American servers continued as EFnet.

EFnet is probably the least "unified" IRC network, with large variations in server rules and policy between different servers. It has no central administration authority, although there are US- and EU-specific routing committees.

IRC clients can connect to EFnet via irc.efnet.org or any number of other servers.

In July 2001 a service called CHANFIX (http://www.irchelp.o...p/ircd/chanfix/) (originally named JUPES) was created, which is designed to give back ops to channels which have lost ops or been taken over. In the case of having no ops CHANFIX will automatically join the channel and op people who fit the requirements, for a takeover a request must be made for a manual activation of CHANFIX

#3 WOBBLYSHAKEIT55

WOBBLYSHAKEIT55

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:53 AM

thankyou thankyou thankyou because i hate mirc jester.gif

#4 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:31 AM

Dude, mIRC is just an IRC program, written by a guy named Khaled Mardam-Bey, hence the name.

You can use any IRC program you want to connect to the Internet Relay Chat network, via a number of different servers. But if you want to get on xbins, itís gonna have to be via EFNet.

But the choice of program you use is up to you (just like how a lot of Xbox owners use FlashFXP for their FTPing needs, but others prefer WS_FTP, etc.).

Out of curiosity, let me know if you find a program you prefer to mIRC. Iíd be interested in having a look at it. smile.gif

#5 WOBBLYSHAKEIT55

WOBBLYSHAKEIT55

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:01 PM

what do u mean ?

and is ef net completley free or is it a trial thing

#6 WOBBLYSHAKEIT55

WOBBLYSHAKEIT55

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:06 PM

i guess what im trying to say is i need an irc client besides mirc so what should i use

#7 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Members
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:52 PM

I think you misunderstand about IRC networks (such as Undernet, EFNet, DALnet, etc.). Read Dangerously_Cheesy and my posts again carefully.

What I mean EFNet is composed of servers you connect to with IRC programs.

I couldn't begin to tell you what to use besides mIRC. I've been using its various versions for about five years now, and personally I think it's great (easy scripting, decent interface, easy implementation of Perform commands to make geting on your favorite channels automatic, etc. etc.).

But that's me.

If you don't want to use it, go to www.downloads.com and search for a different IRC program. It's your choice.

#8 WOBBLYSHAKEIT55

WOBBLYSHAKEIT55

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:34 PM

did u buy it ?

my trial ran out and it wont let me download another trial even after i remove it

#9 netdevil69

netdevil69

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Playing the Drums and Bass. Listen to music (rock, punk, funk). Building Computers. hmmm..Xbox?
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:48 PM

If all you want it for is to connect to xbins, theres a link in my sig, for some IRC software that is specificly designed to connect to xbins and come with all the scripts so you dont have to type any commands.

biggrin.gif

#10 NeuroChemist

NeuroChemist

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:stuff
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:39 AM

if your using mozilla firefox, get the ChatZilla extension and the FireFTP extension, and you can do the whole thing from a tab in your browsers window. Also there is a program somewhere in xbins called xbins tIRC...i think thats the name, all you have to do is open the exe file and it connects to efnet>xbins>messages xbins>loads its ftp client> and logs you in without you having to go through the usual annoying process..........

hope that helps beerchug.gif

EDIT: oops, didnt see net devils post. thats a good link to have in your sig, i dont think many newbies know about that program

Edited by NeuroChemist, 14 January 2005 - 12:42 AM.

#11 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Members
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE(WOBBLYSHAKEIT55 @ Jan 14 2005, 08:05 AM)
did u buy it ?

my trial ran out and it wont let me download another trial even after i remove it

View Post

Of course I bought it. For the very reason you just stated.

And because I do more on IRC that just using it as a gateway to xbins.

Edited by Xombe, 14 January 2005 - 05:06 AM.

#12 n3m3ss1s

n3m3ss1s

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:17 PM

just dl trillian. It handles all your messengers and it can do IRC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users