• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DiZmAc

DiZmAc

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:24 AM

I got my hand on some 5v LEDs and I'm planning on using them for controller port illumination. All of the tutorials I've seen involve resistors. Do I need resistors or are the guys doing LED mods using lower voltage LEDs that necessitate the use of resistors.

#2 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:32 AM

5 volt LEDs are MADE to hanfdle 5 volts. Not a portion of it while the rest is chewed up by a resistor. You should be fine. Before you reassemble everything turn it on and make sure theyre not getting hot. Itll become obvious in 30 seconds if it's gonna be an issue. If it gets hot youve got problems. If they stay cool or a bit warm, youre fine.

#3 Cbrown

Cbrown

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:32 AM

not from a 5v lead to a 5v led. What would be the point? It wouldn't be risisting anything.

#4 DiZmAc

DiZmAc

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:36 AM

Thanks, Ry. I guess the only reason for me to install a resistor would be if the LEDs were rediculously bright

#5 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE(DiZmAc @ Jan 14 2005, 05:07 AM)
Thanks, Ry. I guess the only reason for me to install a resistor would be if the LEDs were rediculously bright

View Post

You got it. I had to dim imne down on my last Xbox as it was annoying as hell if i were playing in a dark room. Just check heat in the off chance theres something wrong. Better to catch it up front then need to figure out what burnt up later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users