justsumdude

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:30 AM

ok, i bought an xbox from some pawn shop. he says he couldnt get it to work. so i think, "cool maybe something simple" so i bought it for $25. has a philips in it and the hdd has the sticker peeled off. the xbox has been opened before i had it.

when i turn it on, the splash screen comes on and it freezes at the xbox logo, and about 20 seconds later, i get the error screen(07).

i made a slayers disc, and its not booting. ive checked all jumpers and cables. i know the dvd drive works, because i tried it in my other xbox.one thing i did notice is the MS logo never comes up, so im thinking maybe the bios?

anyway, my queston is, if i were to buy a hdd, would i be able to put it in without an eeprom or hdd key? and also, if the stock bios is messed up, will i be able to get this working at all?

ive been searching for over an hour on this and couldnt find any answers. Thanks

#2 jonrees69

jonrees69

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Interests:Crystal Xbox/Blue LED crystal ring/V1.0/X3/250gb/EvoX/dvd2xbox/xbmc<br />Chip Fitter-www.purepc.co.uk<br />
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:58 AM

Here we go ... 20 seconds it took me to find this ! ...

7 - kernel - HDD timeout
[Details]

Most of the times, the IDE cable is not properly connected when you see this error. Please reattach the ide cable.
Not only to the harddisk drive but also to the dvd drive. ALso try to reconnect the ide cable to the motherboard.
Press pretty hard so it goes all the way in. Make sure it is seated straight and proper in the drives and the motherboard.
If you still have an error 7. Try another ide cable. If that won't work try another harddisk. If there is still no go, try to
set the jumpers on the rearside of the harddisk drive. Set it to master or cable select.

Please note that you can only use another hdd with a mod on the box of some kind.
A cable is the cheapest option - beleive me these can look fine but in reality be dead.

Good luck !!

J

#3 justsumdude

justsumdude

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE(jonrees69 @ Jan 17 2005, 02:29 AM)
Here we go ... 20 seconds it took me to find this ! ...

7 - kernel - HDD timeout
[Details]

Most of the times, the IDE cable is not properly connected when you see this error. Please reattach the ide cable.
Not only to the harddisk drive but also to the dvd drive. ALso try to reconnect the ide cable to the motherboard.
Press pretty hard so it goes all the way in. Make sure it is seated straight and proper in the drives and the motherboard.
If you still have an error 7. Try another ide cable. If that won't work try another harddisk. If there is still no go, try to
set the jumpers on the rearside of the harddisk drive. Set it to master or cable select.

Please note that you can only use another hdd with a mod on the box of some kind.
A cable is the cheapest option - beleive me these can look fine but in reality be dead.

Good luck !!

J

View Post

thanks, i found that also. sorry, i wasnt clear enough. i did look and find different answers, just none that helped me. now i just want to know if a chip would solve my problem.

Edited by justsumdude, 17 January 2005 - 10:32 AM.

#4 jonrees69

jonrees69

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Interests:Crystal Xbox/Blue LED crystal ring/V1.0/X3/250gb/EvoX/dvd2xbox/xbmc<br />Chip Fitter-www.purepc.co.uk<br />
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:23 PM

I dont think a chip would help .... The only way it would help is if the disk is fried - then you buy a new hdd also and the chip would make that install a lot easier. If it's just the cable tho, this will need to be sorted first.

I'd get a new cable or check the other points before deciding to get a chip.

J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users