67thRaptorBull

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:02 AM

ok, so plain and simple

my Halo PC CD (which ive had for 1 year) doesnt work when i install, because theres a small scratch (unrepairable so far) in the middle of it, so when it hits the 47% mark during install (which is exactly map D20) all you can hear is my dvd-rom drive spinning constantly to try and read it, and after like 5 minutes the setup stops and says i have an error

ive loaded halo pc before, but thats because i downloaded it from a certain site (wont say what site, but that site is no longer in service) and then just used the cd key from my copy (which i legally purchased) to run it

but, now that i have no way of obtaining it, how can i install Halo??

i tried manually extracting the files from the cd, but it just hangs up on D20 again, and without that file, setup wont run

any suggestions?

#2 ridefour15

ridefour15

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:35 AM

P2P networks shall be your friend, but be careful.

#3 jimmy_hendrix

jimmy_hendrix

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:58 AM

dont you know anyone else with the game??? there is one kinda crappy thing you could do.
thats copy everything but THAT map to a folder on ya desktop and go into the maps folder and copy one of the other maps to a temp directory, in that directory rename the map to the name of the map that wont copy. then put it back in your maps folder. this would mean u would have to copys of the same map but atleast it would install blink.gif

#4 67thRaptorBull

67thRaptorBull

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:21 PM

actually, ive narrowed it down to two things

1) when you "Explore" the cd (under the drive in My Computer) in a folder called "Redist" or something along those lines, theres a thing called "mslInstaller" or something like that, that wont copy over

2) under the maps folder somwhere on the disc "cab3" and "cab6" wont copy over either

i know i shouldnt be asking this....... but anyone with Halo PC, would you mind getting on AIM and sending me those three things (the installer, Cab3 and Cab6, itll be under 100 megs"

sorry mods if i wasnt supposed to ask that, but im not pirating it, i have the legal copy that i bought, its just the scratch fucked it up

thanks beerchug.gif

#5 KDragon

KDragon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Anything About Technoligy
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:59 PM

get the cd hot with a lighter so the plastic is soft (just a little dont melt it) then rub it with your finger it worked for me once. if i were yuo i would try it on a junk cd with a scratch first just so you know what your doing.

#6 enderandrew

enderandrew

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:41 AM

Rubbing a hot CD may work, but a CD repair kit/resurfacer is the way to go.

And P2P networks can be quite dangerous. Furthermore, directly suggesting that someone gain copyrighted material from said network is against forum policies.

#7 67thRaptorBull

67thRaptorBull

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE(enderandrew @ Jan 23 2005, 09:12 PM)
Rubbing a hot CD may work, but a CD repair kit/resurfacer is the way to go.

And P2P networks can be quite dangerous.  Furthermore, directly suggesting that someone gain copyrighted material from said network is against forum policies.

View Post

yea, i have a cd repair kit, it hasnt worked yet, im going to use my brothers next weekend, so if that will do it

and i wont use a P2P network, i dislike that idea

i was only asking if someone here would be kind enough to help me out on AIM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users