X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:32 AM

Ok, I read what I was supposed to. I retract my post. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Aaries, 23 January 2005 - 07:42 AM.

#2 manatarms25

manatarms25

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:37 AM

More info please tongue.gif

Edited by manatarms25, 23 January 2005 - 07:52 AM.

#3 Aaries

Aaries

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:39 AM

Read what? I've been online reading stuff all night. Just because I didn't read the one thing you wanted me to read, doesn't mean I deserve to be treated rudely. Just fill me in, dude.

#4 manatarms25

manatarms25

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:43 AM

Edit biggrin.gif

Edited by manatarms25, 23 January 2005 - 07:44 AM.

#5 Aaries

Aaries

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:46 AM

Ok, let me rephrase my initial post. My little brother typed that last one...

I have 10 games that I have backed up from copies that I own. They've all worked fine for quite some time. Now only 2 work. NFSU2 and Tetris work fine. Tetris is on a CD-R and NFSU2 is on the same type of DVD-R that all the other games are on. They just won't load at all. Once I got Burnout 3 to get to the "loading" progress bar, but then it froze. 100% of the time other than that one instance, it goes to load it, sticks at the loading screen (tried EvoX and Avalaunch), then returns to the dash.
I'm running a 1.1 with Xenium ICE OS 2.3.0. Metoo 1.4.1 BIOS. I tried different BIOSes and pretty much anything else I could think of including leaving the HDD unlocked and clearing all cache folders, but everything results in the same...well, results. Any ideas, please?

The only thing I can think of is that I installed a new HDD 80Gb recently, but I don't see what that would do. I tried a clean install with Slayers all over again and that didn't help, either. I could continue using my original copies, but I want to be sure my backups work as well. wink.gif

#6 Patriot

Patriot

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:45 PM

The DVD drive could be failing, but unlikely since some of the backups work. What media did you use to make the orignal backups? Use DVDInfoPro or something simliar to give us the media ID, not the label it was sold under at the store. If it is a disc like Princo it could be in its degradation/failing stage commonly reported on sites like cdfreaks.com.

#7 Aaries

Aaries

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 03:50 AM

Yeah, I considered the DVD drive failing also, but the fact that 2 of my backups work consistently flawlessly and all the retail copies work equally as well, leads me to...well, utter frustration, really.
Anyway, I did what you said and DVDInfoPro reports the media type as being "CMC MAG. AF1" Does that mean anything to you? They are Memorex DVD-R.

I thought maybe it was my new Metoo BIOS or possibly Slayer's version of EvoX...I'm really grasping at anything, so I reverted back to the M8 BIOS I used to have and the regular 3935 EvoX and I still have the same problem. I tried using a different hard drive...I really don't know what else to try. I can't even copy over most of the files via FTP, particularly the .xbe's. They start to transfer, but then the transfer rate goes down to 0 and it freezes. I've tried it many times with different backups with the same results. I can FTP retail copies fine. I even made a new backup of one and it transferred, burned, and ran fine. I would just redo all my originals, but I don't want to waste so many DVDs. I also tried DVD2Xbox, but it was unable to transfer the files or in most cases, even read the disc to start the program (assuming because it can't read the xbe).

sad.gif

#8 Patriot

Patriot

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 January 2005 - 04:30 PM

What you describe sounds like the xbox DVD drive, for whatever reason, can't read the CMC media reliably anymore. For general PC's and standalone DVD players, CMC is not really bad media unlike its reputation for CDR's, but the xbox drives can be real picky. I'm willing to bet that you can put those backups that are not working in a normal PC drive and do a raw image copy to another media like RitekG04 DVD-R or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R and the new copies will work in the xbox. Or to phrase it another way, the data is still there but the xbox DVD drive can't read it.

Memorex uses multiple suppliers for their media. CMC is just one supplier. If you're buying the in the US, Best Buy has FujiFilm 25 packs of DVD-R and DVD+R on sale for now for $9.99. If you go to the store and look on the packages you will see that they are Made in Japan or Made in Taiwan. The Made in Japan spindles are supplied by Taiyo Yuden. It's worth a try at that price.

#9 terluk

terluk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:08 PM

I bought some memorex dvd+r yesterday to back up some of my games. What's weird is that I did four backups and only 2 worked properly. The other two would load but when I actually try to start playing the game it would say: "Disc dirty or damaged". I tried burning the same ISO i created onto a HP DVD+RW and it worked fine. Now I'm worried that while the other 2 works right now, after sometime it won't.

Any suggestions?

#10 Aaries

Aaries

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:17 AM

Ok, update. I downloaded the latest version of the Xecutor 4983 BIOS and poof!, the games work. I only had a chance to try 2 before I had to leave for work, but they worked perfectly. I tried editing the BIOS in EVtool, but it wouldn't work with it. So I tried XBtool and another version of EVtool I have, but all 3 failed to edit this BIOS, so I said "screw it," and just let it default to the DVD drive for testing purposes. That's when it worked. So, two questions.

What program can I use to edit this particular BIOS so I can get my dash to boot from F:? And, maybe I should just be happy that at least they work now, but it's driving me crazy why they would suddenly only work with this BIOS, one I've never used before. I recently upgraded my Xenium OS to ver 2.3.0, but I can't remember if the backups worked before the upgrade so I don't know if that had an effect on BIOS compatibility with the particular OS I was using (i.e. maybe ver 2.3.0 has some issues with Metoo 1.4.1 or M8 or Xecuter 4979, etc...and for some reason, it likes X2 4983).

I'm still at work right now, so I'll do some more experimenting when I get home. I also may find out how to edit the X2 4983 BIOS by doing some searching, but if you know, leave a quick note. Thanks.

#11 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:34 AM

This is one of the many reasons why I stick with an Xecutor Bios. wink.gif

#12 terluk

terluk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:48 AM

Ok... I just went out to get a 50 pack RiData -R media to try and it appears to work. I'm going to reburn the two other backups in case they somehow fail during the middle of the game.

#13 Aaries

Aaries

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:53 AM

yeah, except for the fact that from what I've read you can't edit the stupid thing unless you know how to use a hex editor. That's really asking a lot for me to do when all I want to do is change my default dash and where it loads from. What's up with encrypting it? Not be be brash, but I expect protection like that from MS, not people trying to help out the Xbox community.

#14 Aaries

Aaries

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:22 AM

Ok...now they work sometimes and sometimes they don't. When I first came home from work I tried out 4 backups and they all worked. Then Colin McRae 05 started being slow so I rebooted, cleared caches, and then nothing worked. Then I "recovered" my Xenium, reinstalled Tsop & X24981 BIOS and a game worked. Then it didn't. Now they don't. But they may soon! ughh fuckity fuck fuck fuckity fuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users