13 replies to this topic

#1 DuckOfDeath

DuckOfDeath

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:35 PM

I have a 1.4 winbond tsop in a comma, so I installed a 29-wire chip, bridged the two sets of points on the top of the board, and got it to boot off the chip. I ran an evox boot disc, ftpd a copy of evox to the hd, backed up the eprom, and made a folder c:\raincoat with the raincoat.7 files out of the archive 007_raincoat_0.7_2.20.04_andy_and_eXOBeX.rar. I replaced the bios.bin with the newest x2 bios, 256k.

I then rebooted, ran raincoat from evox, cut the wires on the chip, changed directory to ../../media/C/raincoat and tried the command ./raincoat r orig_bios.bin. It gave me a permission denied. Same result when I tried ./raincoat p bios.bin.

It was suggested I do a chmod +x to raincoat, but when I try that I get the error "read-only file system." In evox's ftp server, I see that, indeed, raincoat has read-write, read, read permissions. No execute. I cannot do a chmod through evox's server, as it's not implemented there.

Edit: I've resoldered the bridge points, still no luck. I've even tried backing up the xray3 bios, but I still get the permission denied error.

Any suggestions, ideas?

-Duck!

Edited by DuckOfDeath, 24 January 2005 - 09:43 PM.

#2 DuckOfDeath

DuckOfDeath

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:13 PM

Ok, I love this one. I put raincoat in the e drive under udata/blah/blah whatever, where it would be for the 007 exploit. It stopped giving me the permission denied error, and now tellls me that it does not regonize the manufacture of the flash chip. It did this for both the xray's chip, and after I cut the wires.

Also, when is the proper time to cut the wires? When evox boots, or when i run raincoat?

-Duck!

#3 jameswalter

jameswalter

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:54 AM

After evox boots since it will already have loaded the bios. Do you have a winbond TSOP is that why you are using raincoat instead of the evox flash and making this really complicated.

#4 DuckOfDeath

DuckOfDeath

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE(jameswalter @ Jan 24 2005, 11:25 PM)
After evox boots since it will already have loaded the bios.  Do you have a winbond TSOP is that why you are using raincoat instead of the evox flash and making this really complicated.

View Post

Bingo. Winbound tsop. This shouldn't be that hard, either, but...

-Duck!

#5 jameswalter

jameswalter

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:33 AM

Check your soldering....its probably not able to read/write the TSOP. Is it giving a manufacture id of 0x09 by chance? You can at least use Evox to identify the tsop chip by using the flash option but don't actually press the Y button after it tells you the device ID.

#6 DuckOfDeath

DuckOfDeath

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:09 PM

That's the error. I'll check the points again and see if that helps.

#7 DuckOfDeath

DuckOfDeath

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:56 PM

The points are soldered correctly. I still get an invalid manufacturer error.

I got this board, it was in a comma, but it the tsop points looked to be stock. Is it possible that this tsop chip is just plain fuxored? What pins on the chip do the bridge points correspond to. I might try it once more with the physical pins bridged...

-Duck!

#8 DuckOfDeath

DuckOfDeath

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:28 PM

A couple more things. First, my tsop chip has this id: W49F020T-90B. It's not listed in the flash definitions. The closest thing to it is: Flash = 0xda8c,"Winbond W49F020",0x40000. Is this a problem?

Also, when I start up raincoat, I launch it through evox. It is located in the 007 save game folder in my E drive. When it starts, it makes the choir noise, then it makes a rabbid-dolphin ala flipper noise, then an explosion sound. Is this right, or does this mean something is wront. There is text in black on the top about not mounting the cd (it's empty) and something about a cloop or something. Should this be happening?

-Duck!

#9 DuckOfDeath

DuckOfDeath

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:36 PM

Oh, and I discovered that if I cut the wires after evox boots, but before running raincoat, the box freezes at the loading screen. No penguin, nothing... It would appear that you cannot cut the wires 'till after raincoat has loaded.

Has anyone tried running raincoat manually, instead of after running 007 and loading the savegame hack? Am I right in assuming I can just launch the xbe and flash, or am I never going to get it to work this way?

-Duck~

#10 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,752 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:50 PM

launching raincoat from evox works, i do it all the time

Flash = 0xda8c,"Winbond W49F020",0x40000

that is indeed the correct line

are you using raincaot .7? .7 will ONLY display 0x09 if there is a problem with the write enable points (however since you are booting with a 29-wire mod it might be that effecting it too, not sure

it never hurts to clean off your write enable points with some desolder braid and resolder them

#11 DuckOfDeath

DuckOfDeath

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Jan 25 2005, 05:21 PM)
it never hurts to clean off your write enable points with some desolder braid and resolder them

Yeah, done that. As far as I can see, the traces aren't damaged either.

When I got this board, it was in a comma, but I did not see any signs of soldering done to the write enable points. I'm starting to think that whatever happened to corrupt the bios physically killed the chip.

Also, I did notice that someone had tried the 3 wire trick on it, which obviously will not work on a 1.4 board. Could this have fried the chip?

-Duck!

#12 DuckOfDeath

DuckOfDeath

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:50 AM

Ok, if it IS possible to boot to evox using a 29 wire chip, launch raincoat from evox, cut the wires to disconnect the 29wire chip, and flash an onboard tsop, then, in fact, my tsop is officially dead.

I double, tripple, quadrouple-checked my soldering on the bridge points. I connected every other alternetive write-enable point as well. Still no go, error 0x09, unknown manufacturer.

My tsop chip is dead. I'm going to put in my x2.6 and call it a day, week, whatever.

-Duck!

Everyone, thanks for the help. You've confirmed that I'm doing everything right.

#13 jameswalter

jameswalter

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:00 AM

It is possible...cause thats how I did mine back in the day when all we had were 29 wire mods. The the TSOP flash came out and I did it that way (using evox). God I was scared doing the 29 wire mod as my first soldering experience.

#14 DuckOfDeath

DuckOfDeath

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:59 PM

Thanks. That's pretty much it then, if you said that you can launch raincoat directly and not through 007.

On a side note, I tried cutting the wires after evox loaded, but before launching linux, but it froze at the launching screen (no penguin). The only way to get linux to launch was to cut the wires after launching. Is that the way you did it?

-Duck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users