4 replies to this topic

#1 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:54 AM

Just 2 quick questions which I tried to search but cannot find the answer.

1. Do I need to have a dash that know this feature to attach and run an ISO image ?
2. Can I create the ISO image using tools like dd under linux(raw cloning) or it must be a specific tools run under MS BIOS(patched) ?

thanks in advance.

#2 grangerx

grangerx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE(chimpanzee @ Jan 25 2005, 01:25 AM)
Just 2 quick questions which I tried to search but cannot find the answer.

1. Do I need to have a dash that know this feature to attach and run an ISO image ?
2. Can I create the ISO image using tools like dd under linux(raw cloning) or it must be a specific tools run under MS BIOS(patched) ?

thanks in advance.

View Post

Hm. These are good questions, only one of which I (think) I know the answer to, but I can offer some quick usage observations:

re.1: I don't think you have to have a specific dash, since the attacher is a custom default.xbe that runs when you select the game from the games folder (at least in the case of UnleashX), rather than something specific to the dash itself.

re.2: The virtual-dvd making utility that goes along with NKPatcher does more than just a straight 'dd' of the disc. It dumps the disc as (a set of) almost-4GB ISO file(s). It also dumps a list of sectors that it couldn't read as "errorsectors.bin", and then it creates a custom default.xbe that, when executed, "attach"es the virtual-DVD so the system thinks it's a real DVD, and then runs that DVD like it was booted in the console.

That's my rudimentary understanding of the process at any rate.

The "isoripper" default.xbe doesn't have any UI or feedback, and on my v1.6.A XBox with the new HL DVD-Drive, takes (accdg to its own log) 54 minutes to make an iso-rip of a game DVD. The source for the NKPatcher itself is available, but I'd like to see the source for the ISORipper app, or see someone add something like the UnleashX "Copy DVD" UI to it.

Oh well. Hope that helps at least a little bit.

Fun!
GrangerX

#3 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:53 AM

thanks for the clear explanation, though I am still a bit confused.

So the default.xbe(the attacher) needs to be created for each game through isoripper then launch from a dash ? Or it is one universal xbe which I place together with each ISO image I rip ?

and how can one launch the iso ripper xbe ? through a dash menu ? and since it doesn't have an UI ? where will it put the ISO image to ?

#4 grangerx

grangerx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE(chimpanzee @ Jan 25 2005, 02:24 AM)
thanks for the clear explanation, though I am still a bit confused.

So the default.xbe(the attacher) needs to be created for each game through isoripper then launch from a dash ? Or it is one universal xbe which I place together with each ISO image I rip ?

and how can one launch the iso ripper xbe ? through a dash menu ? and since it doesn't have an UI ? where will it put the ISO image to ?

View Post

Well, the attacher .xbe *is* different for two different games I iso-ripped, but only in the internal name it stored, so it might work with any *.partN.iso file set you used it with. I dunno. The isoripper does a good job of just auto-creating it as appropriate. (The Toolset that comes with attacher, detacher, and isoripper does have a standalone attacher with it; presumably this attacher is for "generic" use (my guess)).

If you're using NKPatcher10 and UnleashX, all you have to do is put in the game, wait for UnleashX to detect it and say "Game" at the upper-right, and then execute the isoripper xbe from the dash (you'll have to get it added to the unleashx menu however you normally do that (either UnleashX's auto-search of F:\APPS (for example) or editing the UnleashX config.xml file and adding it as a menu entry.

The isoripper doesn't have any UI at all, but it does have a config file, where you can set the default ripping location (If I remember correctly, it uses F:\GAMES\* and G:\GAMES\*), the backup ripping location (in case the first is out of space), and whether or not the isoripper should create a debuglog (I think it always creates this in the same directory as the isoripper .xbe, but I'm not 100% positive).

Once the isoripper finishes and returns to the dashboard, all you have to do is run (in my example) F:\GAMES\yourgame\default.xbe from the dashboard, and it will attach and load the game. In the case of UnleashX, it automatically searches the \GAMES\ folder on E:,F:, and G:, so if you reboot (I couldn't get its refresh item option to work, but rebooting did), the game will automatically appear in the list.

Fun!
GrangerX

#5 rmenhal

rmenhal

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:22 AM

The isoripper app does:

1) Basically the same as dd, just duplicate the disc user contents as is. Any other application that does the same or produces its own game .isos could be used. I think you can't use dd in Linux, because the dvd drive won't access game data without authentication. The authentication is carried out automatically by the Xbox kernel, but Xbox-Linux understandably doesn't program such things into Linux.

2) Splits the .iso into < 4GB slices.

3) Modifies title name of attach.xbe and copies it as default.xbe into the same directory with .iso (slices).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users