22 replies to this topic

#1 xbox beat box

xbox beat box

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:45 PM

I have just wandered into the world of torrents.
Almost a year back, I downloaded BitTornado to try my luck at this .torrent thing everybody was talking about. I could never really get good download speeds, so I ended up going back to Kazaa, Limewire etc.

Well after some convincing, I decided to try again. This time I d/l BitTorrent, and found a few tracker sites. I decided to try my luck and start downloading .torrents once again. To my suprise, My speeds were decent and I was on my way to downloading 2-3 massive files a night (entertainment for the next evening).

I have found my PC is more stable downloading .torrent's , no spyware or adware with BitTorrent.

So, what client do you use to d/l .torrent's?

If you are not using a router, is there anyway to tweak your speeds.

Any client recomendations?

Anything Torrent related?

I am not to sure if this is a legal thread. I am sure it is, but I guess we will find out soon.

beerchug.gif

#2 rymort

rymort

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:54 PM

best program out there is called azereus. Well at least many will say this is the best.

becareful installing though, you will need to uninstall your old java client and install the one that they offer on the azereus site. i believe its azereus.sourceforge.net or .com

if not just google it.

also, goto the bittorrent main site and goto FAQ's, it tells you how to tweak your speeds. Im under a router with firewalls so i had to forward some ports. I have a 4meg download cable connection and i can download at about 300kb on good days. But most of the time im only downloading at 20-50kb.

what is everyone elses download speeds?

#3 Snowboard8422

Snowboard8422

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:01 PM

BitComet always worked best for me. I reached speeds on average anywhere from 15-45

#4 firstdue

firstdue

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:24 PM

I've used azureus for a while....and with a 3meg dsl connection I've maxed at between 250-300. Average speeds around 50-80. Behind a router with port forwarding.

I just recently found a plugin (RSS importer) that will automatically check rss feeds for new torrents based on what info i input. Its nice to set up and walk away from the pc....come back later and all my favorite shows are already downloaded.

#5 drunkmunk

drunkmunk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:27 PM

I personally use azureus also just because I think it's the most configurable(sp?) and it also has alot of great plugins.

depending on the tracker and seed/leech ratio I can usually get at least 50to 100K (i'm not gonna hop on anything with a shitty ratio

the best sites are mostly private these days but on a good site that enforces keeping a good share ratio I can get 300 K plus

#6 xbox beat box

xbox beat box

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:56 PM

What seed/leech ratio do you aim for? 10:1? 5:1?

Good to know my speeds are in the same ranges as you guys are posting.

I tried downloading azureus yesterday with no luck. Will try again today.

I have been reading about eXeem, but am yet to download it. http://www.exeem.com/
I have heard it has some nasty spyware and adware.

**Slightly edited to adhere to the XS Rules**

Edited by mrRobinson, 25 January 2005 - 11:39 PM.

#7 Spency234

Spency234

LEAFS NATION

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:38 PM

Don't do the eXeem thing man. I was a Beta tester for it and once it goes public (which it looks like it already has) it will be full of bullshit like Edonkey or any other P2P program.

Plus it does install some things you really don't want (I forget what the adware was called but they didn't seem to think it was a big deal.)

Stay with torrents, and if you can afford it go with newsgroups. The only way to roll HOMAY.
beerchug.gif

#8 rymort

rymort

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:40 PM

ive been going to ** You'll be banned for posting torrents on XS **

also, i dont understand this share ratio? if i seed longer... my downloads will be faster?

Also, ive been using exeem for about a week now. I dont suggest it right now. It is still in beta and it has been crashing alot. The idea is great but ide wait till a final release is out before getting it again

Edited by mrRobinson, 25 January 2005 - 11:36 PM.

#9 rymort

rymort

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(Spency234 @ Jan 25 2005, 08:09 PM)
Don't do the eXeem thing man.  I was a Beta tester for it and once it goes public (which it looks like it already has) it will be full of bullshit like Edonkey or any other P2P program.

Plus it does install some things you really don't want (I forget what the adware was called but they didn't seem to think it was a big deal.)

Stay with torrents, and if you can afford it go with newsgroups.  The only way to roll HOMAY.
beerchug.gif

View Post

sorry for the noobie question but what are newsgroups?
direct me to a site where i can find out myself if its easier.
or i guess i could just google it.

but then I wouldnt be raising my post count biggrin.gif

#10 robgue

robgue

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:baseball baby
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:25 PM

i dont think you can post links to torrent tracking sites rymort....
you guys shoud use newsgroups. there have been threads in this section on them if you are a "newb " to them. and just google. faster, anonymous, better, slight learning curve.

#11 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:41 PM

Personally I don't see a problem with this thread but for those thinking about posting here I'd like to draw your attention to this line:
Torrents: Do not post them, and do not post Links or Urls to Torrents Link Sites. We treat them as direct and indirect links to warez. (don’t waste our time and yours arguing how they are good for legal file dissemination as we don’t want to hear about it.)

Keep that in mind, I've edited anything questionable.

#12 rymort

rymort

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE(mrRobinson @ Jan 26 2005, 12:12 AM)
Personally I don't see a problem with this thread but for those thinking about posting here I'd like to draw your attention to this line:
Torrents: Do not post them, and do not post Links or Urls to Torrents Link Sites. We treat them as direct and indirect links to warez. (donít waste our time and yours arguing how they are good for legal file dissemination as we donít want to hear about it.)

Keep that in mind, I've edited anything questionable.

View Post

sorry, i should get around to reading the rules... but they usually take me like half hour to read. I cannot read the best

#13 rymort

rymort

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:09 AM

ok found out what newsgroups are, but where do i find one that deals with files?

#14 xbox beat box

xbox beat box

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:15 PM

I think most of them do, just have to search for the right file.

I had the same problems with newsgroups that I did bit Bittorent.
I didnt spend enough time figuring it out.

#15 robgue

robgue

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:baseball baby

Posted 26 January 2005 - 11:27 PM

this is the super easy way to find files. newzbin.com. worth the price imho
just need a newsreader that support's .nzb's
there's links to some tut's on that site too i think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users