spillage

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 January 2005 - 05:21 AM

Passive Four Input YUV (Component Video Switcher)

These things can cost a lot of money, especially for an all singing all dancing fully buffered gain compensated matrix switcher. This version I put together for a mate of mine is neither new or special but does the job without issue even with progressive video sources.

The system is literally nothing more than a good quality aluminium project box, a three pole 4 way, wafer switch, standard small gauge hook up cable, 12 RCAs, three BNCs and a D15 connector. Each of the three poles on the switch is used, one for Red, one for Green and one for Blue. As the switch is turned one or other of the four sets of RCAs are connected to the BNC and D15 outputs. The D15 and the BNCs cannot be connected to equipment simultaneously.

You will note that there is no screened cable inside the box. The case is completed formed from ally and as such makes excellent shielding. All the connectors are grounded to the case. The switcher can be built for as little as 10 if you use screened cable and a cheap plastic box and cheap connectors. I opted to use high quality RCAs and BNC block. Total including paint was 25.

Put it together as per the diagram and mount as you see fit in a good quality metal box, then decorate as only an XBOX modder can. smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Feedback appreciated. smile.gif

#2 Trevante

Trevante

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:48 AM

Wow, that looks amazing. I'd definately make one of those if I had the equipment for it (although I don't really need one hehe).

#3 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:36 AM

You could just use a standard AV switchbox for your component switching. They can be picked up for next to nothing and work fine. I've been using one for ages now with no ghosting or other noticeable interference. That's with HD and interlaced signals.

Cool switchbox though Spillage beerchug.gif

Edited by Dreamcazman, 26 January 2005 - 09:37 AM.

#4 fahrenheit

fahrenheit

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:44 AM

Cool. Any particular reason you used BNC for the output?

#5 spillage

spillage

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:08 PM

The mate I made it for used to have his TAG McLaren dvd player connected to his plasma directly using a Nordost Component cable with BNCs at both ends. Tests found that the PSM module in the dvd player produced better images if it was forced to o/p RGsB. So I made him a BNC to HD15 lead using cable from the excellent QED Sqart range (Blue Cable). The dvd now converts sources like Sky, VCR, DVDR etc to RGsB and feeds them to the VGA input on the panel. The GC, XBOX and PS2 are now fed progressively into this switch box and utilise the expensive Nordost lead to feed the Component inputs of the plasma, which are also BNCs.

I couldn't of made this answer any longer if I tried, but you get the idea. smile.gif

#6 EvilWays

EvilWays

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 27 January 2005 - 12:40 AM

where'd you get the gold plated connectors?

#7 spillage

spillage

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 03:03 AM

The RCAs are nice and made by Neutrik. I took one of two locking nuts and drilled it out so it became a decorative washer to make the connector look even more meaty. They came from CPC The order numbers are AV11155 RED, AV11157 GREEN, AV11158 BLUE and cost 0.51 each.

#8 DarkLegion

DarkLegion

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:52 PM

I am suprised that you didn't get issues,I would have thought that parasitic inductance(is that the correct term?) would have caused too many issues here.I am planning on building a switchox for rgb/vga for all of my consoles and was debating on either using relays or analog switches but if I can make do without it will make the whole thing less of a hassle...and cheaper smile.gif

#9 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:19 PM

Great Project beerchug.gif

I'm interested in building one of my own... Any recommendations on high quality relays I could use for the switch instead of a physical switch? (like you mentioned in this thread: http://forums.xbox-s...ic=257500&st=0)

I'm interested in controlling the switch box by IR remote.

(I'm in the US BTW so EU only vendors don't do me much good laugh.gif )

#10 anvil82

anvil82

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(Dreamcazman @ Jan 26 2005, 04:47 AM)
You could just use a standard AV switchbox for your component switching. They can be picked up for next to nothing and work fine. I've been using one for ages now with no ghosting or other noticeable interference. That's with HD and interlaced signals.

Cool switchbox though Spillage  beerchug.gif

View Post

Yeah that's what I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users