• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bubchub

bubchub

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:17 AM

As you can see, this question is a bit more specific than some others.

I go to Penn State and I'm trying to connect to the school network so i can play on the network. I have a modded box (dont know the chip) and am running evox (dont know the version...a friend modded my box).

i have a linksys router (dont know the type...but it's wired)

the problem is that to get onto the penn state network, you have to use a specific IP, subnet mas, gateway, and DNS server. plus, it only accepts certain MAC addresses, so i set my router up to clone the MAC address and input specific IP info.

well, my computer works fine going through the router now...and i hooked up my xbox to the router, and I am able to FTP into my xbox, so something must be right....now i just don't know what to do to allow the xbox to go through my router to the network.

the reason i need the router for the xbox is that since i have evox, i can't change the mac address on the xbox, because it just goes right back to normal when i launch evox

any and all help is appreciated smile.gif

Edited by bubchub, 28 January 2005 - 06:19 AM.

#2 MaDDNeSS

MaDDNeSS

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:08 PM

The XBox being plugged into the router is all it should need. However, if you say that your network administrator only allows certain MAC addresses you may want to consider an alternative setup. I would connect your PC to the internet anyway you choose, I see now you probaly have Router > > > Network Card. What I would do is buy a second network card, get a crossover cable for the Xbox and setup Windows Internet connection Sharing. This would be able to get your Xbox online for play. The only disadvantage is here, if you want to play your Xbox on LIVE for instance, your PC would have to be on because itd acting like a gateway to the internet. Check out http://www.xbchelp.com and click on network setups. Hope this helps you out.

#3 bubchub

bubchub

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:26 PM

sad.gif for some reason with the setup i have, it seems that it should work, but it doesnt.

i figured it might be because i had to change the IP, gateway, and DNS info on my xbox, but then i set it to auto config and it still wouldn't connect to the network. i mean, obviously the internet connection running through the router works because it works on my computer, and also i can log onto my xboxes ftp.

however, when i try to connect via MS dashboard network settings, it gives me an error on the second thing it tries to detect. also, i go into halo 2 and go to system link play, and no games show up (and im told by others who play halo 2 on the network here that there are always plenty of games....they dont have modded xbox, so they donthave the need to use a router).

as for the second network card....i dont have any money (poor college student) and i also dont have transportation. but i appreciate the idea

any other help would be greatly appreciated

and on a sidenote, some of the ports i tried opening on my linksys include 3074 and 88 and had the IP configured as my xboxes IP....should i have used my computers IP instead?

NOTE: if there was some way i could change the MAC address on my xbox so that it would mimic my computer that would be great too. i know you can do it on MS dashboard without evox, but when u have evox it just reverts it once u load up evox.

Edited by bubchub, 28 January 2005 - 05:39 PM.

#4 MaDDNeSS

MaDDNeSS

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:34 PM

You should of never had to change any information on your router or your xbox. In the M$ dashboard, goto custom configuration, setup your network. As long as the XBox mac address starts with 00 50 F2 your xbox mac address is fine. For your DNS 1 and DNS 2 set them both to 192.168.1.1 and your subnet to 255.55.55.0 YOu should not need to forward any ports in order to et Xbox LIVE to work.

As far as going to System Link games, If you are playing within a college LAN and dorm rooms to have games up then by all means you should see them. If your trying to use XBConnect and goto system link be sure that your Xbox is detected in Options, General options of XBC.

Try this however, if you know for sure someone is hosting a game within your college LAN, plug your xbox directly into the modem/wall whatever your internet connection is and see if you can see a system link game that way.

If you forward any ports, always forward them to your PC. Be aware, if your Launch into Xbox LIVE, be sure your mod chip is off, and I recommend running a stock hard drive.

#5 bubchub

bubchub

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:38 PM

my school requires that you change your network settings to the settings that they give you, otherwise you can't access the internet. They e-mailed me with a custom IP, subnet mask, gateway, primary and secondary DNS servers that i need to change my computers network settings to. so, since i'm going through a router (which is prohibited here, but we'll keep that secret), i put all those settings on the router.

also, the school network doesn't allow any connections from mac addresses that are not registered with them. so i had to register my mac address with the school, and then i was allowed to connect. if i get a new computer or for example hook up my xbox which does not have the same mac address, it cannot access the internet or the network.

Edited by bubchub, 28 January 2005 - 07:41 PM.

#6 XboxforU

XboxforU

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:53 PM

First of all...
The internet settings go into your router ok. Thne anything going into ur router can work. If only ur computer works cuz u gave them mac addy fo rit then go into router settings and there should be some option for clone mac address or something..and make router mac address same as computer one. This way anything going into ur router can now access the internet and it looks like the mac address from router is your computer. Hope I've been some help.

#7 bubchub

bubchub

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE(XboxforU @ Jan 28 2005, 03:24 PM)
First of all...
The internet settings go into your router ok.  Thne anything going into ur router can work.  If only ur computer works cuz u gave them mac addy fo rit then go into router settings and there should be some option for clone mac address or something..and make router mac address same as computer one.  This way anything going into ur router can now access the internet and it looks like the mac address from router is your computer.  Hope I've been some help.

View Post

i've already done this sad.gif i mentioned in the first post that i have already cloned the mac address, and it still does not work. same with the internet settings given to me by the school, i've switched from automatically optain IP to manual input.

#8 MaDDNeSS

MaDDNeSS

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:39 PM

The only option I see here then is to run Dual network cards and windows ICS.

Edited by MaDDNeSS, 28 January 2005 - 08:40 PM.

#9 bubchub

bubchub

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(MaDDNeSS @ Jan 28 2005, 04:10 PM)
The only option I see here then is to run Dual network cards and windows ICS.

View Post

is there absolutely no way to change my mac address on my xbox so that it is the same as my computer? if i can just do that, it would solve the problem....or is it possible to play a backup with evox disabled, so that i can change the settings in network settings and not have it revert because of evox?

(changing the mac address with evox enabled would be easiest)

#10 bubchub

bubchub

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:16 PM

nobody has any answers?

someone told me i should try UnleashX....i mean, i can't believe there is no way to clone or change the mac address with evox

#11 MaDDNeSS

MaDDNeSS

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:05 PM

Keep in mind, if you change your Xbox's MAC address, tunnels like XBC will not be able to detect your xbox. They will detect it as being wireless. If you have LIVE, you can go into manual settings, select wireless, and change the MAC address there.

#12 bubchub

bubchub

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(MaDDNeSS @ Feb 2 2005, 10:11 AM)
Keep in mind, if you change your Xbox's MAC address, tunnels like XBC will not be able to detect your xbox.  They will detect it as being wireless.  If you have LIVE, you can go into manual settings, select wireless, and change the MAC address there.

View Post

couldn't i just change it for playing on the school network and then change it back for playing on xbconnect?

#13 bubchub

bubchub

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:30 PM

problem solved smile.gif

i just started using Xlink Kai, and it has solved all of my problems

#14 MadDog5145

MadDog5145

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE(bubchub @ Feb 8 2005, 09:41 PM)
problem solved smile.gif

i just started using Xlink Kai, and it has solved all of my problems

View Post

How did Xlink Kai solve your problem?

Edit: Ooops old thread smile.gif

Edited by MadDog5145, 06 July 2005 - 01:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users