• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 rukz

rukz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 06:31 PM

I was looking to purchase a 5.1 speaker system maybe even a 4.1 speaker system to attach to my xbox to watch movies and play games off of, maybe even have a spare set of cables running from my pc so i can listen to music off it. I know that games are only 4.1 but movies are 5.1 so when playing dvd's off the xbox I'd like to have the full effect. The 2 systems I was looking into are:

Altec Lansing 5100
Yamaha TSS1B

Is there any others out there? What do you think of these two?

#2 DaGamePimp

DaGamePimp

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 March 2003 - 06:40 PM

There is also the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 THX-Certified speaker system that is Very impressive for PC speakers .
Then there is the Cambridge Soundworks line of PC speakers .
Both of these come in either 5.1 or 4.1 set-ups .
I have heard all of the current 5.1 systems except for the Yamaha that you mention and the Klipsch is the most impressive to me but it is also the most expensive . The Altec would be the Best Buy choice .
--DGP--

#3 froescheD

froescheD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 06:58 PM

i like my creative inspire 5500 digital 5.1 surround system BUT when you like to go for somethin realy profesional you should avoid the optical connection between xbox and surround system.

#4 Ace25

Ace25

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Interests:Modding anything I can...
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 March 2003 - 07:01 PM

WTF? Avoid the optical port? Why in the world would you do that?

#5 akarnid

akarnid

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 07:01 PM

If you don't mind Logitech, their z-680 system is awesome. I have one myself, and it gives me what I need: Loud, crystal clear sound when watching movies and playing games. It's not audiophile category, it is, however, great with the Xbox smile.gif

EDIT. yeah, why would we need to avoid the optical port??? You sayin' that the toslink converter in the HD/HiDef Pack makes the signal worse?

Edited by akarnid, 03 March 2003 - 07:03 PM.

#6 shinobi006

shinobi006

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 07:04 PM

I agree the logitechs are the best.

#7 froescheD

froescheD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 07:16 PM

WTF? Avoid the optical port? Why in the world would you do that?

a coxial output (e.g. one as it is on the speed link real rgb & digital audio cable) has the advantage that the digital signal don't have to be changed by the amplifier....

SPEED LINK CABLE

#8 Ace25

Ace25

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 07:22 PM

ok, but if you already have a $1500 DD receiver, 5 optical in's, 5 Coaxial In's.. what would be the difference? To be honest, I never knew that Coaxial vs Optical were any different, and I only use Optical. I thought they were both "digital" cables, meaning it doesnt matter if its copper or glass, its still digital, and needs the receiver to decode the signal... please enlighten me if you will.. I find this info very interesting..

#9 switzch

switzch

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 07:29 PM

Optical is better because it is not suceptable to EM Interference.
I wouldnt spend money on 5.1 speakers for a PC, i would get a DD reciever, and some 5.1 speakers and then you can use them for a PC and a real television and settop dvdplayer, ect.. if you want. Most PC 5.1 systems are a bit weak, but better than stereo i guess.

#10 Lizard_King

Lizard_King

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 07:42 PM

I have the Klipsch 4.1's (i got tired of waiting for the backordered 5.1's...they were a pain to get ahold of).

A couple of things:
-Great for dvd's
-Great for games
-Overkill for music ( I have to do all kinds of subtle things with my analog converter program to make music sound the way I like it...loud but not "amplified" if you know what I mean).

But for video games, these bastards will melt your windows and kill your neighbours before they break down. I've dropped 'em and set one on fire (accidentally...long story) and they work just great. The 5.1's really add a bit in terms of the Dolby 5.1 and adding a full center channel, but for 99% of the people out there I think that is overkill and not worth the money.

The logitechs have gotten very good reviews as computer speakers. I wouldn't use them for music, but they're alright.

(I use a bose setup as my yardstick for quality-even though it's overrated-and the klipsch are within spitting distance unless you listen to classical music. The logitechs are nowhere near.)

#11 froescheD

froescheD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 07:52 PM

1. people are assuming that changing the optical signal into a electrical signal (within your amplifier or receiver) might cause failures (but I agree with you also that digital is digital)

2. optical connections are more likely to be damaged

--> for those two reasons audiophile freaks peoples prefer coxial connections

#12 J.P. Patches

J.P. Patches

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 08:07 PM

The optical and coax signal uses the same format... Each one just translates the digital information into the different channels.

Optical is better, as previously stated because it's not suseptable to interference... Digital interferance sucks, too. It will either cause the sound to drop out or go TOTALLY heywire.

#13 Ace25

Ace25

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 08:33 PM

I resemble that remark, I AM an audiophile, and I think BOSE speakers are CRAP! Sorry L.K., but unless you spend $2000+ on bose speakers, they suck, ESPECIALLY their $400 slim center speaker. You can get much better sound for much less than Bose prices if you look around.. I personally have Energy Speakers for surround/sub and a Polk Audio CS-250 center speaker that is HUGE. Center speaker is the MOST important speaker in a 5.1 system.

But back on topic.. Why would Optical cables get damaged sitting behind a TV/Entertainment center? I have used optical cables for years and NEVER had one go bad or break.. yes, optical is glass, and is fragile, just dont use it as a pull string and you will be fine.. which then counters your first statement that Optical is worse than Coaxial.. actually, from seeing responses, Coaxial is WORSE than optical because of interference (if you get any), but Optical is more fragile.. thats a givin.. I will stick with my optical cables I have now thank you.

#14 Lizard_King

Lizard_King

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Ace25 @ Mar 3 2003, 09:33 PM)
I resemble that remark, I AM an audiophile, and I think BOSE speakers are CRAP! Sorry L.K., but unless you spend $2000+ on bose speakers, they suck, ESPECIALLY their $400 slim center speaker. You can get much better sound for much less than Bose prices if you look around.. I personally have Energy Speakers for surround/sub and a Polk Audio CS-250 center speaker that is HUGE. Center speaker is the MOST important speaker in a 5.1 system.

But back on topic.. Why would Optical cables get damaged sitting behind a TV/Entertainment center? I have used optical cables for years and NEVER had one go bad or break.. yes, optical is glass, and is fragile, just dont use it as a pull string and you will be fine.. which then counters your first statement that Optical is worse than Coaxial.. actually, from seeing responses, Coaxial is WORSE than optical because of interference (if you get any), but Optical is more fragile.. thats a givin.. I will stick with my optical cables I have now thank you.

What remark? I said they were overrated, and I would rather not specify exactly how much money went into that rig.

But compared to the shit being discussed on this thread, I would say it is a fair yardstick. I know all about the the "Bose: no highs, no lows" audophile schtick, but the fact remains that 99% of people have great difficulty distinguishing these differences beyond the 500$ mark.

You have your opinion on center speakers, I have mine. I have tried with and without, and for my pc and everyday use, music, and pc games, the center channel I could take or leave. Having 4 speaker surround tho, that is essential.

#15 b0ink

b0ink

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (Ace25 @ Mar 3 2003, 01:33 PM)
I resemble that remark, I AM an audiophile, and I think BOSE speakers are CRAP!

I'm an audiophile too and I have to agree that Bose suck. I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole.

In laymonds terms Bose takes the signal that is sent to the speakers and then then modifies it so it sounds like what Bose engineers think people like to hear. This does not bother many people (and many don't even know). However, when listening to a Bose system you are not listening to the music as it is meant to be heard.

If this does not bother you run out and get Bose. If your like me it's a pretty big deal. I would take my Acoustic Research speakers over Bose any day.

EDIT: I don't agree that you can live or live without the center speaker though. I actually have a 6.1 system. For me the front center is crucial, the rear center is optional.

Edited by b0ink, 03 March 2003 - 09:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users