• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brandtson

brandtson

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 03:10 PM

Ok sorry if this is a complete newb question, but I've searched the forums for over an hour and still haven't seen this topic touched upon.

Does the eeprom contain the hdd serial number? I'm assuming not. If so, isn't the hdd serial number in the hdd firmware. So if I were to put in a bigger hdd, I would save my old eeprom, save my disk.bin (by the way what partition is that located in? and can you just ftp that back and forth?) , save my old hdd serial number(wd120....), put in the new hdd, load up my old eeprom, load up my disk.bin, and set the new hdd serial number as the old one. Assuming this process is correct, how would I go about setting the new hdd serial number? And how would I manipulate the disk.bin file.

Thanks ahead of time.

By the by, cheers to the guys who are testing the xbl banning theories.

#2 brandtson

brandtson

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:51 AM

anyone?

#3 feet14

feet14

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 02 February 2005 - 02:21 PM

The HD Serial is stored in the HD firmware and can't be changed. Disk.bin contains the HD partition table. If you want to upgrade your HD after going on live, using disk.bin on the new HD won't prevent a ban. You will need to flash in a new EEPROM at the same time.

#4 brandtson

brandtson

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE(feet14 @ Feb 2 2005, 01:27 PM)
The HD Serial is stored in the HD firmware and can't be changed. Disk.bin contains the HD partition table. If you want to upgrade your HD after going on live, using disk.bin on the new HD won't prevent a ban. You will need to flash in a new EEPROM at the same time.

View Post

holla, thanks. the disk.bin is located in the root directory?

edit: wait wouldn't copying the partition table over to a larger hard drive not allow me to access the extra space on the larger hard drive, and or create read/write errors?

Edited by brandtson, 03 February 2005 - 01:17 AM.

#5 feet14

feet14

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(brandtson @ Feb 2 2005, 11:21 PM)
holla, thanks. the disk.bin is located in the root directory?

edit: wait wouldn't copying the partition table over to a larger hard drive not allow me to access the extra space on the larger hard drive, and or create read/write errors?

View Post

Copying the partition table over doesn't stop you using the extra space and doesn't generate read/write errors.

You obtain the disk.bin file by choosing the "Save BIOS and EEPROM backup" option in Evox. It is in the C:\backup folder.

However, using the disk.bin from your old HD on your new HD won't prevent you from getting banned. I recommend flashing in a new EEPROM and applying a blank disk.bin to the new HD (Slayer's option 3b2 will do this for you).

To apply a disk.bin file to a HD, use the following in Evox:

ConfigSector "\backup\disk.bin"

using the appropriate path.

#6 brandtson

brandtson

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE(feet14 @ Feb 3 2005, 02:02 PM)
Copying the partition table over doesn't stop you using the extra space and doesn't generate read/write errors.

You obtain the disk.bin file by choosing the "Save BIOS and EEPROM backup" option in Evox. It is in the C:\backup folder.

However, using the disk.bin from your old HD on your new HD won't prevent you from getting banned. I recommend flashing in a new EEPROM and applying a blank disk.bin to the new HD (Slayer's option 3b2 will do this for you).

View Post

well if im going to flash a new eeprom i might as well try the old one and see if i get banned, then use a new one. i don't use evox, but im assuming config magic will do the same. so pretty much all i need to do is save the backup and reflash the eeprom using config magic (assuming config magic copies everything i need?)\

thanks again for your help

#7 -Gadget-

-Gadget-

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(feet14 @ Feb 3 2005, 02:02 PM)

View Post

has this actually been proved properly as yet ?
as im not sure it ever did get properly checked ??

Mick ..

(may ty it just befor mine runs out .. ? )

#8 -Gadget-

-Gadget-

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:00 PM

im just digging this old thread up ..

well has/did anyone ACTUALLY PROVE this to not work OFFICAILLY AGAIN??
as ive not realy been into live since my last post, and my trial running out ..
and competing BO3 ! ... now BO4 is here, well u can imagine

so .. doing a proper copy of the disk.bin using the above method ..
and using on a clean unflagged tag ..

also its odd, as since the start of this year it dones seem thats anything has changed ! lol
all stemming from LinoX findings ..
http://forums.xbox-s...dpost&p=2024516
sound/reads like nothing has been expanded on this, or well ,,, risked on it !

Mick ...
(who was well into the scene back in 04')

Edited by -Gadget-, 25 September 2005 - 04:14 PM.

#9 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:19 AM

i think local marriage theory has been pretty much debunked, its probable MS used it as a stopgap, or test of concept before turning everything over to their own servers

youll have to buy a new eeprom (look up zodiiak in b/s/t) unlock your HD, flash th eeprom and relock your HD, then you cna go on Live with a new hard drive

#10 -Gadget-

-Gadget-

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:13 PM

arr i get ya .. so at the start, it may of worked ..
but now it definatly does not ??

is it worth checking ?? installing the new hdd with the old disk.bin properly ..

if its worth checking again, im willing to do it ...
if ots been proven not to work on many occasions then it would be a waste for me .. ! lol

Mick ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users