4 replies to this topic

#1 kaylapuppy

kaylapuppy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 04:10 AM

Since putting my xbox into a pc case tower, I have converted my 2 controllers to USB. Since USB does not use that additional yellow wire, it is not connected to anything. So I was wondering if there was anyway at all to do a controller reset/power mod, without this yellow wire ? I'm guessing the answer is going to be no, but I thought I would ask anyways just in case someone had any suggestions.

Regards,
KP

#2 diablo996

diablo996

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 March 2003 - 04:20 AM

Sure if you run another wire biggrin.gif

#3 schlacht

schlacht

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 05:12 PM

Hey KP

You mean you converted your xbox controller plugs into USB and they still work as controllers? No yellow cable being used? I figured the yellow lead was necessary for the system to use as a time sync or some other data for the hardware? That is amazing if it works without the yellow lead, just another redundancy I guess...

Anyway, if you want to there is no reason why you can connect your original xbox ports to the same spot as the USB ports and hav them run in parallel. That was you get USB ports and xbox ports to use depending on what you are doing. Have you got linux on that machine yet? : )

beerchug.gif

#4 kaylapuppy

kaylapuppy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 05:30 PM

The only reference I have ever come across as far as that yellow wire goes, is that it was put in there for future plans of some kind of pen device. Otherwise it has nothing to do with the controllers at all, excpet in the case when you want to use it for a reset mod.

The PC tower I have has 2 USB ports on the front, so I spliced those in place of the xbox controller ports. I also added a USB plate to the back of the pc which has the additional ports. So I have done a complete conversion to USB. My controllers have been spliced with USB extension cables as well, this way they work on both my xbox and my PC without changing anything.

As for Linux, I installed it a while ago, and it works great with the USB keyboard and mouse. I haven't used it as much lately since XBMP came out with shoutcast support. I used to use linux to stream shoutcast feeds through my stereo.

Another small mod I just did was to run a USB extension cable and splice the Xbox remote sensor into it. Now I can place the remote sensor beside my TV, as opposed to over in the corner where my tower stands. It's alot easier to just point the remote at the TV instead of off in the corner.

So I would have to say I am getting alot of use out of USB with this system, everything I have done so far works flawlessly.

Regards,
KP

#5 schlacht

schlacht

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 06:10 PM

thanks for some great info there!

anyway, back to the question you asked that I basically ignored last post, sorry... you should be able to run a parallel lead from the controllers yellow to your USB white. if all the yellow is doing is sending a momentary pulse ... it might just work for the reset. and if it's not being used for anything else, then you'll be fine until that vapor-ware tablet comes out that you mentioned : D

ps: I feel I should add, this sounds sketchy I know, esp with all the signals from the white data lead already ... but if you feel like trying it, I take full responsibilty, NOT!!! : D

Edited by schlacht, 04 March 2003 - 06:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users