12 replies to this topic

#1 metalhead212

metalhead212

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:56 PM

Coming from a long line of failed video game adaptations of comic books The Punisher manages to squeak through the failure and retain some fun and interesting concepts. I really enjoyed the arcade game that feature The Punisher and Nick Fury, so I held this game in high hopes. Though flawed this game is very much Punisher. It is very violent and very gruesome.

user posted image

STORY

The story of the game is pretty much generic punisher with a bit of a twist. You (the punisher) have been arrested and are being interrogated by the police. The game unfolds as you tell your tale to them. For anyone who has read the comics i'm sure you will be pleased to know that the story telling is uncompromised. Yes the punisher does squeak out one-liners, but they are not in a comedic sense. Like I said this game feels and plays like a Punisher game should.

user posted image

GAMEPLAY

The gunplay in this game is a bit flawed, but after a while it is not as bothersome as one might think. Some of the games physics are off, and sometimes control just does not feel right. I did not see anything that brought the game down greatly accept for the fact that during interrogation sessions the punisher is almost impervious to damage. Though the game is nice it has a bit of a sloppy feel to it. Sometimes I get the impression that this game was either rushed out the door to ride the profits of the DVD that came out or it just did not get enough funding or attention. I say this because at times it just feels like a cookie cutter FPS featuring punisher, but fortunately the whole game is not like this. The parts of the game that really stand out as far as game play are the interrogation sequences which can be done on any enemy at any given time. As a bonus the game allows for special interrogations where the punisher uses the surrounding environment muster out some information. Drill presses, saw benches, electric eel tanks, everything is used. Some other things that stand out are the slaughter mode, which is just a way to make punisher move faster do more damage, and become a lot more aggressive, and the special kills. By now I am sure that most everyone has heard that during special kills the screen puts up a black and white filter so that it makes the scene less intense. Most people did not like this in the least, but personally I feel that it gives the game even more of that Punisher feel. The punisher himself sees in black and white. Either the person is guilty or innocent, there is no in-between. I think the filter kind of fits in with what the punisher is about.

user posted image

GRAPHICS

The graphics in the game are not the best, but they are not bad either. In game looks... ok and the FMV sequences look pretty good. The game does offer a lot of detail for the punisher though, which is nice.

user posted image

SOUND

The sound of the game is a little lacking, but it is not bad at all. It sounds decently good, and it offers no twang (which is a big thing with me).

user posted image

BOTTOM LINE

Even with it's flawed game play and somewhat generic graphics the game is definitely a rental and a buy. If you don't like punisher rent it, but if you do pick it up. The game does have a lot of replay value so gamers should find that appealing.

The game is good, it could have been better but I GIVE THE GAME A 7 FOR NOT FALLING INTO THE TRAP OF COMIC BOOK TO VIDEO GAME CRAP WE SEE A LOT.

#2 SC2

SC2

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 February 2005 - 04:28 AM

Yes I agree, good game, but the controls are a bit trippy. You can see in the first pic it looks kind of hard to aim

#3 daser1220

daser1220

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 03:53 PM

Nice game. It was somewhat realistic until "The Russian" came along. hes just to hard to beat the second time...

#4 Enuts

Enuts

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:04 AM

Does it have anything to do with the movie or just comic book? I loved the movie and if its anything like that must be a good game

#5 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:04 PM

The hack makes this game more fun. I didnt really like it until i applied it.

#6 alucardstrife

alucardstrife

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 03:06 AM

i give it a 9.99 because people can like work out their anger in seconds

#7 FoeHammer05

FoeHammer05

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:19 AM

Normally games based off of movies suck, and this one SUCKS pretty bad.

#8 jdsun1

jdsun1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:59 AM

This game surprised me as it is the first game in a looong time that I have played from beg. to end. Of course the uncensored patch didnt hurt either. biggrin.gif

#9 metalhead212

metalhead212

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(FoeHammer05 @ Mar 8 2005, 11:25 PM)
Normally games based off of movies suck, and this one SUCKS pretty bad.

View Post

How is this based off the movie? The Punisher is a comic book as well. You should check it out.

#10 jdsun1

jdsun1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:14 AM

Only similarity to the movie that stood out to me was the use of "The Russian". As for the comic book I was never too into it so I cannot really say.

#11 blaine1605

blaine1605

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:34 AM

the russian was also originally a comic book character anyway.

besides that, only the guys voice is the same from the movie.

however, i love this game, so many different ways to play it, from going in and just blasting away, to getting surgical and stealthy in the way you kill.

#12 i800phyco

i800phyco

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:running over jackalopes in my car wow people realy read these and your proof
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:32 PM

Any time I can use a drill press on a foe's head I'm happy. biggrin.gif

#13 obiecent

obiecent

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:24 PM

My review:

Gameplay- 8 1/2 not bad great fun slammin people heads between windows etc..

Graphics- 7- not to shabby considering i have seen other Comic/film to game.

Sounds- 8 hearing someones head being slammed on a window or being drilled into is worth an 8

Lifespan- 9 over and over and over and over and over def a keeper.

Overall- 8 Not bad game def one for them stressed days. Love the Violence and if u want the Patch makes it even better

obie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users