33 replies to this topic

#1 ekengren

ekengren

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 11:57 PM

I bet there is a few people out there who popped the same idea as me. But here goes anyway...

We could have a fully working psx emulator today. In fact we already have... ePSXe does indeed exist for linux. and should work nice on an xbox running linux. I started experimenting with this, but since i'm not that good in configuring linux i didn't have any luck. but to make my point clear, after failing with psx emulation i tried the linux version of scummvm (lucasarts adventure emulator), a personal favourite of mine on the pc. and i got it working!! just fine actually! i ran day of the tentacle, error free! if you take a look at the emulators available for linux you quickly find out that we could be playing N64 or PSX in a jiffy..

what we NEED now is people who is good in customizing and configurating linux (debian). what would be neat is if someone makes a stripped down kernel and modules only needed to run Mupen64 (N64) and ePSXe (PSX) and packaged it in a nice package with pre-made rootfs-file just to copy to the box and run. THIS IS POSSIBLE, (if not correct me, please) AND HUGE! (at least it's what i think..)

so what do you lads think? is it doable?

#2 AnimeCommander

AnimeCommander

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 12:59 AM

I think it is very doable, just like with system utilities (defrag and the like). Like you said all we need is someone to configure it. I'd love a boot disc with Linux, the emulators and the system tools.

#3 HeLiuM

HeLiuM

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 01:16 AM

how much ram does linux take up on average?

#4 Tom M.

Tom M.

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 06:40 AM

Why is something so unreliable and so fragmented like LInux on Xbox? Xbox is a fast, efficient and closed DirectX architecture. It is based on Direct X and people should stand by Direct X technologies.

Direct X has definitally the most and the best emulators out now and will likely to dominate in the future. It is fast, optimized and very efficient. Xbox will soon replace any desktop PCs used for emulation in cabinets and so on (Xbox 2, 3...).

Linux is DEAD and has no future on Xbox. It simply is nonsence.

#5 ekengren

ekengren

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 10:04 AM

of course direct-x would be the ideal, but this requires porting, and as for now the only way to run for example, n64 or psx is through linux.

if you strip down the kernel to the absolute minimum to run these emulators you will get it really small, just because there is no need for any networking and other services (wich take up most RAM of all services), this means you can get a kernel that takes up let's say 2-4Mbytes of memory leaving quite a lot for running these babies.

basicly what we need is not a programmer of any kind but a person who knows his way around linux and has time to spare. if someone could produce for example a boot-disc with linux as a foundation containing n64 and psx emus (remember this would be legal, since we won't use the ms xdk and of course won't include roms), that certain someone would be in for a lot of fame

#6 lucas

lucas

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 March 2003 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (Tom M. @ Mar 5 2003, 05:40 PM)
Linux is DEAD

haha

#7 kaioshade

kaioshade

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 March 2003 - 03:07 PM

now that i think about it, that might be VERY feasible.

#8 rjm2k

rjm2k

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Tom M. @ Mar 5 2003, 06:40 AM)
Why is something so unreliable and so fragmented like LInux on Xbox? Xbox is a fast, efficient and closed DirectX architecture. It is based on Direct X and people should stand by Direct X technologies.

Direct X has definitally the most and the best emulators out now and will likely to dominate in the future. It is fast, optimized and very efficient. Xbox will soon replace any desktop PCs used for emulation in cabinets and so on (Xbox 2, 3...).

Erm, the xbox is not based on Direct X at all, it's based on a 3d accellerated nvidia graphics card, directx is just a library capable of using it which games developers link into their applications. Linux is more than capable of using such an accelerated graphics card to it's full potential. You seem to be confusing hardware with a development library. And btw, I'm not a major Linux advocate.

#9 rjm2k

rjm2k

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (AnimeCommander @ Mar 5 2003, 12:59 AM)
I think it is very doable, just like with system utilities (defrag and the like). Like you said all we need is someone to configure it. I'd love a boot disc with Linux, the emulators and the system tools.

Defrag for linux would need much more than "configuring" if you are talking about using it on fatx partitions. At the moment, the fatx drivers are read only or at least very limited, a new defrag utility would need to be written for fatx even under linux. However, I have read posts by people who are successfully running emulators on xbox linux, which is an example of the benefits of Linux on the xbox, due to the huge number of existing applications available for it with little or no extra work.

#10 dankydoo

dankydoo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Tom M. @ Mar 5 2003, 06:40 AM)

Wow. Misinformed, ill-opinionated, and wrong all in the same post!

The xbox is NOT a directX architecture. As rjm2k said, DirectX is simply a development library, and of course it's the only one that the xbox supports since it is their proprietary API. Have you ever heard of OpenGL ??? I guess not, the only reason that xbox emulators use directx is because it's the only graphics and sound libraries available to the native xbox kernel, and actually, I think that all of that is statically linked into the xbe, but I won't spin details....

If an accelaerated openGL driver for the xbox-linux is ever produced, the emulators right now for the xbox would probobaly be matched even on par with the linux emulators.....which are more mature also.....

Linux unreliable? hehe......you've got a lot of learning todo...

Please, next time you post, use your brain, and maybe do a little research and know what you are talking about.........

The original poster had a great idea, and actually, the linux plugin distro that is being worked on is going to be perfect for just this thing...

dankydoo

#11 ekengren

ekengren

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 10:01 PM

what is this linux plugin distrib. you mentioned?

is there anyone with nice linux skills that can try to get a psx emulator running? i myself have gotten scummvm to run, i will try to get mupen64 (n64) running tonight and probably posting about it tomorrow. the problem is though, that i'm not that skilled when it comes to linux, so when i run into a problem it always takes a while before i can fix it.. so if you like the idea and have the skills please put some time into this.

#12 dankydoo

dankydoo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (ekengren @ Mar 5 2003, 10:01 PM)
what is this linux plugin distrib. you mentioned?

The linux plugin system was developed by the xbox-linux team for just this purpose. All it does is boot a linux kernel and an X environment so that applications like emulators can run automatically.....it's actually a great idea, once this is finished, there will be no need to port any more emulators that already are running on linux...

dankydoo

#13 SlimDady

SlimDady

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 10:54 PM

i tried to xonnec they guy who made epsxe and the guy who made xsnes by email.. nothing ame of it though

#14 kaylapuppy

kaylapuppy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 11:19 PM

epsxe does work under linux on the xbox, but I found it was very slow. I was talking to someone on here who did get it working fine, he said you have to start with the lowest possible settings for the plugins, and work your way up until you get something that works.

Regards,
KP

#15 Orangey

Orangey

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 09:18 PM

Linux is a VERY Stable OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic