#1 mrchester

mrchester

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:47 AM

are there any differences between car speakers and home theater speakers? could i just take some car speakers in a box and connect them to my home amp and they sound just as good?

i have a 2400W amp and was curious because the prices for home theater speakers seem higher than car speakers

#2 powercntrl

powercntrl

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding/repair, gaming, PhotoShop, Sonic Foundry Acid, iTunes, WinXP, Linux, Car Audio, fishing
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 February 2005 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE(mrchester @ Feb 4 2005, 07:53 PM)
are there any differences between car speakers and home theater speakers? could i just take some car speakers in a box and connect them to my home amp and they sound just as good?

i have a 2400W amp and was curious because the prices for home theater speakers seem higher than car speakers

View Post

The difference is that car speakers are usually 4 ohm whereas home speakers are usually 8 ohm. Most amplifiers have the impedence listed on the specifications sticker or near the speaker outputs. Look for the ohm symbol: user posted image Going higher (8 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm rated amp, for example) than the rated output usually is no problem, you'll just get reduced output power. Lower impedence, however, can burn out your amp.

If you're buying car speakers to build your own enclosures (boxes), you can usually find subwoofers that are either 8 ohm or can be configured to be 8 ohm by getting a 4 ohm dual voice coil speaker and jumpering the coils in series. I've done it before but my personal opinion is dual voice coil speakers sound crappy compared to single coil ones. Chances are, however, if you're getting speakers that were out of someone's car - they're 4 ohm and pretty much useless unless you're not worried about possibly frying your amp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users