• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 topfinder

topfinder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:17 AM

Big Thanks to X-box Scene and its contributors for all the help and tutorials I've used over the past few years! biggrin.gif

I'm trying to replace my 120GB Seagate HD with a new 250GB Maxtor HD.
It's an old 1.0 Xbox with an old Matrix modchip. The bios is Evox M7ej.
When I replace the HD and reboot the system, I get the "System requires service error" in green text in multiple languages. I also hear a repeating clicking noise coming from the HD just prior to the error appearing on screen.

I immediately thought that I may have to upgrade the bios, but after reading the forums and tutorials, I'm not sure.

Now I'm thinking that I may have to buy a newer chip, but I thought I would ask for advice from those more knowledgable prior to making this investment.

I think I've supplied all of the pertinant info.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jeff

#2 JohnnyTsunamiq

JohnnyTsunamiq

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Bombarding people with endless questions.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:23 AM

Just wondering, are you trying to replace the HD because the 120gb is too small? Or is it a different reason?

#3 topfinder

topfinder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:41 AM

Yeah, 120GB is proving to be confining.

I use XBMC as an MP3 jukebox with a great deal of tunes. I also have many .avi files which are really convenient to play via XBMC. Emulators are also a big fav. Not to mention all of my games which are much easier to handle by ripping to the HD and booting from the menu. MS's box is so versatile biggrin.gif

I hope someone has a suggestion...

Jeff

#4 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:55 AM

You will definitely need to upgrade your Bios if you want to support over 137GB of HD space. Although if it is clicking that could easily be an HD hardware fault. Which method did you use to setup the HD. I strongly suggest using one of the auto-installers to take the guesswork out of the new HD install. Slayer's Evox V2.6 will do the job as will the Auto Installer Deluxe V1.0. Of course you are on your own for where to get them. BTW just noticed that the 250GB is a Maxtor. Maxtors as of late have been failing more than usual so it wouldn't be surprising if it is defective. Try the Bios upgrade and the Auto-Installer(s) and see if that doesn't work. You will need the Bios upgrade to get a larger HD in anyways. wink.gif

#5 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:24 PM

yea, only hard drives ive had "click" are bad drives... id return it if you can regardless... if its clicking now i wouldnt risk it.

Edited by ILLusions0fGrander, 15 February 2005 - 03:24 PM.

#6 JohnnyTsunamiq

JohnnyTsunamiq

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Bombarding people with endless questions.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:38 PM

The last two posters basically mentioned it already, but return the Maxtor from where you bought it if possible, or check the manufacturing date and see if you can get it RMAed through Maxtor itself. Most people are happy with their 250gb drive, but Maxtor seems to be the company that has been malfunctioning the most as of late.

Hopefully you haven't had it for too long, Maxtor's warrenties are only typically one year compared to Seagate's huge 5 year warrenty.

#7 topfinder

topfinder

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:15 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice smile.gif

Seeing as I just purchased the Maxtor 250GB HD, I'll probably return it for exchange. In the meantime, I'm going to guess that the X-ecuter2 4983 bios would be a good upgrade as it has built in LBA48 support. I am also using Slayer's auto installer which I have used successfully in the past.

Thanks again to all who replied. you guys rule! beerchug.gif

Jeff

#8 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(topfinder @ Feb 15 2005, 06:21 PM)
Thanks everyone for the advice smile.gif

Seeing as I just purchased the Maxtor 250GB HD, I'll probably return it for exchange. In the meantime, I'm going to guess that the X-ecuter2 4983 bios would be a good upgrade as it has built in LBA48 support. I am also using Slayer's auto installer which I have used successfully in the past.

Thanks again to all who replied. you guys rule!  beerchug.gif

Jeff

View Post

Yup, that bios would be an excellent choice for what you want to do. BTW I really would go with a different HD. With all of the buggy Maxtors running around I wouldn't touch one right now. I would personally get another Seagate. I know they are a bit more but IMHO they are well worth the extra cost when you factor in their reputation and their warranties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users