#1 hairypottah

hairypottah

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 21 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:37 PM

First let me start off by saying nobody needs to hear any opinions regarding preferences to Modchips as opposed to Softmodding, I'm using a softmod and that's my choice, so if you can help, thankyou, if you feel like suggesting I go buy a mod chip than don't bother , I've chosen softmod and I'm sticking to it as a personal challenge.

Here's my problem. I have a softmodded Xbox and I tried to upgrade the HDD to a Seagate 200GB with several boot disks with no success. First I tried to boot witht he new HDD installed and could not get past an error screen. Then I experimented with booting to the retail drive with the boot disks and hot swapping to the new drive then trying to prepare the drive, in each instance it either froze or when I tried to FTP over to the box the FTP would connect and then timeout after I tried to transfer files.

I've used my evox.ini, .xbe and backup files as well as Slayers and an Evox 1.4 HD Prep disk with each attempt. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also checked to see if the drive was bad and it was detected fine in the bios of a PC.

HairyPottah

#2 sicKShine

sicKShine

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:44 PM

yes, yes, i too am curious about hdd upgrade with a softmod. actually i wasnt sure if it could be done with fairly simple techniques. im gonna keep an eye on this thread. thx for asking this hairypottah pop.gif

#3 hairypottah

hairypottah

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:53 PM

Yeah, it certainly can be done, there are several tutorials and it sounds simple enough. I don't understand why some people have such a superiority complex when it comes to modchips Softmodding is so much easier and just as effective and the rumors of it causing problems and ruining XBOXs are largely untrue, especially since it's fully reversible. Sounds to me like maybe some people might be upset they paid for a modchip or are wary of the PC component. I'm no cheapskate, I just bought a 200g hdd, I've jsut found a snag and I'm looking for some help from someone with experience.

#4 revengeismyfury

revengeismyfury

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Halo 3 Live, Anime, XBMC.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:54 PM

hey harry I would be careful about trying that. Ive already attempted that then tried to lock the new hdd.

I ended up sending that hdd back to the manufacturer cause it got locked with the wrong password in the wrong location of the drive. I tried again on a different hdd and also had to send that hdd back to the manufacturer.

That made me look bad for 2 people that know about what I had done accidentally.

So unless its got a warranty on it, I wouldnt tamper with your xbox with that tecnique that you are doing.

Trust me you will hit a bug in evox that will cause your upgraded hdd to become useless.

You should use the hdd upgrade tutorial from xbox-scene.com

If you dont have enough knowledge to do that. Or dont have a friend with a chipped xbox. for the other tutorial atleast.

Then I recommend sending the hdd to me with your eeprom.bin file.

Or send it to someone else with experience with softmods to get it up and running for your xbox.

However dont tamper with that upgraded hdd trying to just plug it into your xbox while it is powered on with the other hdd. It will not work!

It may work if you have another friend with a modded xbox and load it up powered to that xbox and pre formatted.

Then again why would you want to do that when its easier to get that hdd working using configmagic in a modchipped or tsopped xbox.

Do not tamper with evox and plugging in your new hdd while it is initiated from a pc or not even initiated to switch over.

It will not work. It will cause your upgraded hdd to become useless.

There are 2 safe ways which have already been covered in the xbox-scene.com tutorials section. Just takes a little bit of skill and dedication.

Otherwise you need to send it to someone else with more knowledge like me or somebody else on the scene.

If you have enough knowledge and skill then go on and try one of the 2 ways to upgrade your hdd from the xbox-scene.com tutorials section.

Edited by revengeismyfury, 15 February 2005 - 09:58 PM.

#5 xechoxx

xechoxx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:02 PM

2 words: xboxhdm

ok so I guess that counts as 1 word. Or an acronym...but what its called doesn't matter too much. I'm surprised you're not using it if you've frequented the gamesave and xbe exploits part of this forum.

xboxhdm is a boot disk for the PC, not xbox, that will automatically partition, format, and place system files ((or whatever files you burn on the disc with it)) on the disk, lock, unlock, you name it. I'd be pretty screwed without it. You can get it at the usual places. Honestly Xboxhdm makes every extremely simple. And don't worry about accidentilly locking with the wrong code, because you can just put the eeprom.bin file on the CD or even a floppy disc and it will automatically lock it according to the hard drive and eeprom code.

If for some reason you're unable to use xboxhdm, there is a similar tool by chimpanzee that is done on the xbox alone. I haven't used it before, but I heard it works well. I'm not sure if you can get it in the usual places, but if you just search for chimpanzee and hd upgrade, I'm sure it'd be pretty easy to locate.

good luck! TRY XBOXHDM DAMMIT!

#6 hairypottah

hairypottah

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:12 PM

Okay! Looks like XBoxHDM is the way to go, I know where to get it. The tutorials just looked so crazy, but if I can seriously boot to a disk on my PC with my upgrade drive installed and make it ready for my XBox, than that's exactly what I was looking for. Is it realy that simple, more or less? I think I already have it somewhere, I'll make the boot disk and then go find a tut or see if there's a readme and try and go prep my drive right now. Thanks.

#7 xechoxx

xechoxx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:20 PM

yes, its just that simple. Just copy all your xbox C files to the folder C, and E to E, etc. and boot up to xboxhdm. I'd unplug you're usual computer hard drive just in case you accidentilly format that.

for some reason, xboxhdm will only work with the hard drive on the primary master position in the IDE cable. So basically, you need to plug in the new hd with the IDE connector that's probably plugged into your current computer's HD.

Just select option 1 when it boots up, and type 'xboxhd', and then create new xbox hard drive from scratch. it'll tell you what to do from there. after it's created the drive, reboot, and select option 3 this time. type in 'lockhd -a' and put in a floppy disk with your xbox's eeprom.bin, and it will lock it for you.

after that, you can throw it in the xbox and it boots striaght up! good luck!

PS: I'm not responsible if it damages your hard drive because you actually 'threw' it in the xbox jester.gif

#8 Pizza Pizz

Pizza Pizz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:21 PM

silly question and please enlighten me otherwise.....

but isn't a softmod still stuck at the 137gb limit coz it boots/dash crashes under the stock ms bios which is limited to 137gb

if that is still the case and softmods are still stuck at 137gb limit - then a 200gb h/d is a bit wasted

#9 xechoxx

xechoxx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE(Pizza Pizz @ Feb 15 2005, 09:27 PM)
silly question and please enlighten me otherwise.....

but isn't a softmod still stuck at the 137gb limit coz it boots/dash crashes under the stock ms bios which is limited to 137gb

if that is still the case and softmods are still stuck at 137gb limit - then a 200gb h/d is a bit wasted

View Post

nope, as long as your using a bootable BIOS or kernel patcher that supports 48bit LBA ((or whatever it's called)) then you're not limited to 137. Basically, softmods have matured so much, you can have just about any feature a chip can, aside from extras like LCD's.

#10 Pizza Pizz

Pizza Pizz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:47 PM

wow - I stand corrected - thanks for the info

thoought that as it booted initially on it's ms bios then it would of been stuck at the 137 limit as that was what the ms booting bios went up to

oh well live n learn as they say

#11 hairypottah

hairypottah

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:50 PM

Damn! XboxHDM is the bomb!

#12 hairypottah

hairypottah

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:03 AM

Holy crap you are looking at one happy camper! I made the XBOXHDM boot disc and after some trial and error (Freeze BIOS on one PC, had to move to another. Had to make boot CD twice, forgot to copy over E:/ backup to CD and EEPROM.bin to EEPROM folder in Lunux) and it was that simple! I made the disk, locked it and it boot. Now I got 191GB free for whatever I want and I never had to use a freaking modchip! If anyone ahs anyquestions about this whole process I'll gladly answer, but not for awhile as I have about 40 games I need to extract form ISOs and copy over to my xbox. I also have to figureout now how to setup the in-game reset in Evox so I never have to get up off my fat ass. And I'd like to figure out how to use DVD2BOX so I don't have to FTP to the box unless I want a backup ISO. Thanks for all the help!

XBOX 1.6
Softmod MA
Evox
200GB Seagate

#13 BigSteel

BigSteel

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:25 AM

I also recently learned about the wonders of Xboxhdm. The tutorials do look a bit confusing, but once you actually sit down and use it, it is super simple. No more mod chips for me biggrin.gif

#14 xechoxx

xechoxx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE(Pizza Pizz @ Feb 15 2005, 09:53 PM)

thoought that as it booted initially on it's ms bios then it would of been stuck at the 137 limit as that was what the ms booting bios went up to

View Post

Thanks to BIOS loaders and kernel patchers, the MS$ BIOS is pretty irrelivant (sp) I really think it's quite amazing how much softmods have advanced, and I really don't think the creators get enough credit for it, or why softmodders are sometimes mocked in forums outside of the xbe exploits. My box is softmodded, but its not that I'm afraid to touch a soldering iron, heck I just added USB ports. ((which I'm still having problems with btw sad.gif )) so all xbox softmod developers: beerchug.gif you rock!

QUOTE(hairypottah @ Feb 15 2005, 11:09 PM)
. I also have to figureout now how to setup the in-game reset in Evox so I never have to get up off my fat ass. And I'd like to figure out how to use DVD2BOX so I don't have to FTP to the box unless I want a backup ISO.

View Post

From what I have heard, the IGR in evox is pretty buggy, and doesn't always work. I would instead recommend switching to a BIOS or nkpatcher version that supports IGR, it's much more stable. As for dvd2xbox, that's about as simple as you can get. just unload dvd2xbox from the usual places to a folder in F:/Apps/ and next time you reboot your box, it should be on your apps list in evox, so you can run it. Then put in the disc and do whatever it says on the screen! super easy! and most games copy in 5 minutes or less. cool.gif

Glad you successfully upgraded! good luck from there!

#15 hairypottah

hairypottah

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:00 AM

Yeah DVD2XBOX is so simple my dog could do it. I've got Craxtion doing a batch extraction of my isos in 30 gb segements since that's all the space I can spare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users