17 replies to this topic

#1 trenz

trenz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 20 February 2005 - 03:02 PM

I am having trouble getting the xbox to access the internet. I am using 2 nics with windows XP. I have used the xenium ice guide and chefelfs guide and still no go. It is probably something stupid simple I am missing . I know troubleshooting networking with a noob like me rolleyes.gif can get tedius so I think I will just get a router since that seems to be the easiest to setup.

My question is what is the difference between a router,a switch and a hub?
Also, can a wireless router be used as a wired router also? I dont want to have to buy any wireless adapters and compusa has a Netgear wireless for $5 after rebate today only

Thanks

#2 Wireless Geek

Wireless Geek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:19 PM

Router - Typically used to share an internet connection. Uses NAT and can assign an IP address to a device using DHCP. I recommend getting one of these. Look into Linksys' WRT54G. With Sveasoft's firmware you can do much more than other routers. Additionally, it usually has up to 4 ports and a built in switch.

Switch - It just allows you to connect to other devices. IP's must be assigned manually. They process network traffic for efficiency.

Hub - Don't waste your time or money. It's like a switch, but dumb. They don't process network traffic.

My advice, get a good wireless router. It will have the best of all worlds. Even if you don't need the wireless or the router portion, it will be there in the future. You can easily disable the wireless features. Very often you can find the WRT54G for something like $50 after rebate at BestBuy, Circuit City, Staples, etc.

-- Geek

#3 TheProffessor

TheProffessor

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:27 PM

just a note, you can't really use Kai if you have wireless internet... just in case you wanted to use it for that.

Also as for the 2 nic cards... you need to share the connection to the router. If you are running XP it should set it up for you I think.

#4 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:30 PM

If you get a router, which I recommend, then you just connect your computer and xbox to it, set them both to use DHCP and make no other setting changes. You can get a wireless router and you can use Kai with wireless routers just fine. If you want to troubleshoot your current setup though it shouldn't be that hard. You set up ICS on your computer right? Then you set the xbox to use DHCP make sure it is cabled to the xbox via a crossover cable. Then if the pc can get out to the internet then the xbox should too.

#5 Wireless Geek

Wireless Geek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(TheProffessor @ Feb 20 2005, 11:33 AM)
just a note, you can't really use Kai if you have wireless internet... just in case you wanted to use it for that.

View Post

Keep in mind that just because it's a wireless router, it doens't doesn't mean you can't hook up devices directly. Most support up to 4 ports. Additional switches can be connected if you need more in the future. I recommend getting a wireless even if you don't need it. That way if you get a laptop or another device that can make use of it, you are ready to roll.

-- Geek

#6 trenz

trenz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for your help guys.
I picked up this today, $10 after rebate router
and this, $10 after rebate pci adapter

I may go back and get this to save a pci slot, again $10 after rebate usb adapter

You guys think this stuff is any good. What I plan on doing is using the wireless adapter on my computer and using the cable that comes with the router for the xbox. This way, for only $20 (after rebate biggrin.gif ) I'm all set.
Sounds like a good plan, right?

Thanks

#7 Wireless Geek

Wireless Geek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:35 AM

Just be sure to encrypt. You wouldn't believe how many people don't do it. Get everything working open first, then enable the encryption.

Update the router firmware as soon as you get it.

Are you mainly using this as a switch? Or do you have an internet connection (cable / DSL) that you are also sharing?

#8 trenz

trenz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:45 AM

I have cable internet and I want to get the xbox online also, not for XBL but for dash updates, skin downloads etc.

#9 Wireless Geek

Wireless Geek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:51 AM

How far is your PC from your xbox?

#10 trenz

trenz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:55 AM

about 6 feet

#11 Wireless Geek

Wireless Geek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:58 AM

LOL!

Ok, well I'm going to assume that the cable modem runs to the PC we are talking about. I think you are going about this all wrong. You won't even need the wireless PCI adapter.

Connect it like this...

Cable Modem wired to Internet Port of Router

PC hard wired to Port 1 on Router

xbox hard wired to Port 2 on Router

All you will need is another CAT5 straight network cable.

-- Geek

#12 trenz

trenz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:07 AM

I got the adapter because at $10 it was cheaper than any 6ft cables which run about $15 and I figured might as well get it you never know. As far as simplicity goes would it be a lot easier to use a wired setup? If yes then I would get the cable but if the setup is about the same I think I'll keep the adapter (might exchange it for the usb adapter though)

Plus, now I can tell my friends I have a wireless network rolleyes.gif

thanks

#13 Wireless Geek

Wireless Geek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:13 AM

You can do wireless, but it opens several more variables that may cause problems. Direct is ALWAYS best if you can do it. With your setup, there is no reason not to go direct. But that's just my opinion.

I would disable the wireless until you get a device that really needs it. Also check into xlink kai for free online gaming. It works for games that support system link.

-- Geek

Edited by Wireless Geek, 21 February 2005 - 08:14 AM.

#14 trenz

trenz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:28 AM

Ok I think I will take your advice, I will keep the adapter on hand (can't beat the price) but pick up a cable. Will this do patch cable $5.99

#15 Wireless Geek

Wireless Geek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:38 AM

Yeah, that will work fine. It'll be the best thing for your setup. Make sure you configure the router to disable the wireless since it's not going to be used. You shouldn't need to do any configuring to your PC, as it will take an IP assigned by your router.

If you play any online games with your PC, you may need to port forward the port it's using on the router for them to play.

Have fun with your new toy. smile.gif

-- Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users