• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 genericpenguin

genericpenguin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, I know what you're thinking, another newbie without a clue. But I have to ask(I haven't seen this talked about before).

Would it be feasible to write an application that does a bit copy of a DVD(eg. xbox dvd)? Yes, I've read the various articles on the xbox dvd encryption. From what I've read, it basically boils down to the directory header info being false(reports that a 2.6gb DVD is actually a 7 mb DVD).

But wouldn't it be possible to write an app that makes certain assumptions about the size of the DVD and then bit copy the data until a pre-determined size? I can hear someone saying now "how would you know the size?". Well, the ending format wouldn't(I think) be a big deal as there must be some report by the hardware that there is no more disc left(as opposed to no more filesystem left). In the worst case scenario, a person with a chipped xbox could find the sizes. If you already have a chipped xbox, why would you do this? One, it would definetly be faster than the current methods I've seen for burning backups. Two(of a more benevolent nature) sizes could be posted for people without mod-chips.

I'm not asking anyone to write this. I'm asking any programmers with experience, if it is feasible. I, once upon a time used to do C programming(late 80's), but I would be willing to take it up again to write this. I am looking at writing this as a linux app. Is it something a bit more low-level than user-space? Would I be looking at modifying the dvd kernel driver to achieve this? Is it just impossible for some reason I am ignorant of? Please reposnd to this post, as I would really like to know.

Thanks.

genericpenguin

Edited by genericpenguin, 08 March 2003 - 08:54 PM.

#2 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 March 2003 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (genericpenguin @ Mar 8 2003, 04:54 PM)
Yeah, I know what you're thinking, another newbie without a clue. But I have to ask(I haven't seen this talked about before).

Would it be feasible to write an application that does a bit copy of a DVD(eg. xbox dvd)? Yes, I've read the various articles on the xbox dvd encryption. From what I've read, it basically boils down to the directory header info being false(reports that a 2.6gb DVD is actually a 7 mb DVD).

But wouldn't it be possible to write an app that makes certain assumptions about the size of the DVD and then bit copy the data until a pre-determined size? I can hear someone saying now "how would you know the size?". Well, the ending format wouldn't(I think) be a big deal as there must be some report by the hardware that there is no more disc left(as opposed to no more filesystem left). In the worst case scenario, a person with a chipped xbox could find the sizes. If you already have a chipped xbox, why would you do this? One, it would definetly be faster than the current methods I've seen for burning backups. Two(of a more benevolent nature) sizes could be posted for people without mod-chips.

I'm not asking anyone to write this. I'm asking any programmers with experience, if it is feasible. I, once upon a time used to do C programming(late 80's), but I would be willing to take it up again to write this. I am looking at writing this as a linux app. Is it something a bit more low-level than user-space? Would I be looking at modifying the dvd kernel driver to achieve this? Is it just impossible for some reason I am ignorant of? Please reposnd to this post, as I would really like to know.

Thanks.

genericpenguin

No.

It's not about encryption or funky sections or anything like that. The Xbox can DETECT that it's a recorded disc. Nothin you do, short of stamping the discs yourself, can stop that. Look up "signature keys" in the search. The way DVD recordables work means that it will ALWAYS detect recordable media.

Even stamping is difficult, without the masters, as M$ employs a whole other layer of protection there (the discs are not standard DVD format, actually)

Just understand that the best and brightest minds have looked at it and it quickly becomes apparent that it CANNOT be done.

#3 genericpenguin

genericpenguin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

genericpenguin.

#4 penguinofdoom564

penguinofdoom564

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 09:55 PM

My penguin brother has returned! Wait....i don't know u....sad.gif Interesting idea but as benj said, wouldn't quite work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users