#1 hogfan

hogfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:44 AM

Man I am pissed now. Painted my box with a base coat of white and went back and did the X part of the box with blue. Got my jewel clear and polished and everything. Everything looked great, except I needed to go back and put on my final coat of white on the vents, back, etc. So, I get home from work and need to get this last coat on so I can let it dry overnight. I'm using Krylon Fusion paint for plastic by the way (with fanspray nozzle). So anyway, I had masked the blue "X" part off really good early today before work. I take the stuff out to my masked off area of the drive way and start to spray my final coat. By the time I finished the top of the box, I began to notice kind of a crackle look in some areas. Damn! Maybe it's too cold, I quickly took the pieces inside the house to dry. I'm not sure if the cold weather (I'm in Arkansas, so it's like 40 - 50 degrees at night right now), or maybe that I'm at the bottom of the can of paint or what, but now my flawless paint job is basically Fu#Ked. It's not that bad, but now I'm trying to decide what to do when it dries. It's not really bad, so I may be able to just spray another coat over it. Or, should I sand it lightly with a fine grit sandpaper first? This is my second box, and I used the same paint to do my gaming Xbox in red in the garage when the temp. was lower than it is now. Any suggestions on the best way to fix this? Any help is extremely appreciated.

#2 Valorious

Valorious

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:48 AM

Yeh i used Krylon fusion before and it crackeld on the X in the middle it was dark blue paint and it kind of looked like an orange peel and i did sand the x down til it was very smooth no matter what i did i couldnt stop mine from doin that but if you can get it smooth just sand it with high grit after COMPLETELY dry and coat again and be aware that you shouldnt sand it til about 7-8 days after you painted it or else the paint underneath will roll into little joint lookin thingys and is a pain well so there ya go

#3 Valorious

Valorious

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:49 AM

o and it could also be oil from your hands on the previous coat that casued the paint not to adhere to the other coat

#4 hogfan

hogfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:01 AM

I think it could have been the moisture in the air that caused it to do that. It's not really bad , so it won't take much pressure to smooth it out. I'll probably do it on Sat. I'll wipe it down real good with a wet rag after sanding it, and then I re-coat it once it's dry. Brasso takes the paint off nicely when you rubb with it. I may even try that on the bad spots and then just recoat.

#5 HydroBob

HydroBob

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:03 AM

Happened to me too. I would reccomend using Duplicolor, but whatever.

#6 Michael_IStall

Michael_IStall

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:08 AM

on my first box that happened it could be the weather but i think its being sprayed on too think. Just what i think cause thats what i did

#7 Valorious

Valorious

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:15 AM

O and when you use the Krylon make sure the cap is all the way down or it will pool on the little well around the cap and it will spill out when you tip the can a little that also happened to me those fan spray caps are cool but they can be a hassle too

#8 Valorious

Valorious

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:18 AM

O hey if you want paint that wont chip or anything find a ColorPlace primer that you like the color of and use that i did and it is sooooo smooth and hard and bright with only two coats and i cant even cut it with my fingernail if i press down as hard as i can (i did it on the back to see blink.gif ) anyway primer works good

#9 hogfan

hogfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:52 AM

Well, I know I can fix it pretty easily, but it's just going to take what I don't have a lot of - TIME! I may have to set the case aside for a bit and begin my TSOP switch work. I have to take my time soldering and I know that. However, getting the final coat of paint on after 3 days is kind of rushed. Now I'll have to spend more time fixing it. I would have waited and done it tomorrow, but I have to work 8 - 5! I'll let it dry for a bit then get back to it later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users