• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shindere

Shindere

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:27 AM

So here's a quick overview.... I tried out several different installer packages, but couldn't seem to get any of them to work. Finally, I got a working MechAssault gamesave (most were buggered and got error 21 or 13) and everythings fine. I can FTP in, to get files, etc.

So I backed up everything, and then decided to use the UDE2 (I think it was called) to replace my C and E drives... so I do so, but foolishly removed the UDATA off the E drive to my computer (in the backup) and removed that for a clean "install" as it were (of UDE).... and now I have no savegame for MechAssault to get back into EvoX to "fix" things.

I also had not got my HDDs password before buggering things up, so unlocking, putting in PC, dropping files on, relocking doesn't even seem to be an option (correct me if wrong, please).

My system still plays games, just no MS dash... no EvoX dash... nothing when I boot on the system. (also, no DVD playback).

What options (aside from the comedy "buy a new Xbox" option) do I have at this point? I still have all the files from UDATA on my PC HDD that I could FTP on (or transfer) if I could get access, it's just I have no idea how to do that.

Would a MOD chip be an option to get to fix things somehow?

Any help you can provide is much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

#2 Shindere

Shindere

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:55 AM

Oooh, I aparently have my eeprom.bin-- does that open up new doors to me? I think I recall reading something with regards to eeprom.bin being of use in some fashion somewhere.

Also, further reading indicates hotswaping might be a valid option.... I'll look more into that, but it seems a bit confusing atm.

#3 avatar1

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE(Shindere @ Mar 2 2005, 08:01 AM)
Oooh, I aparently have my eeprom.bin-- does that open up new doors to me?  I think I recall reading something with regards to eeprom.bin being of use in some fashion somewhere.

Also, further reading indicates hotswaping might be a valid option....  I'll look more into that, but it seems a bit confusing atm.

View Post

when you have your eeprom.bin you do not need to HOTswap. you can use it to crate a boot cd for your pc and hook up your xbox, then fix it. the tool is XBOXHDM 1.9

a mod chip would also be an option, but since you have to open the xbox anyway, you can first try xboxhdm, it doesn't cost. and when there's no need to hotswap, there is also no danger of damaging your hardware.

Edited by avatar1, 02 March 2005 - 09:20 AM.

#4 Shindere

Shindere

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:40 AM

Thanks! So far, I have deduced this as the steps needed:

1. Make XBox Boot Disc with XBHDM (What directory should I put the EEPROM.bin file into)
2. Get HDD out of XBox
3. Power off PC
4. Connect HDD into PC (PRI/MAS)
5. Fire up PC with XBHDM Boot Disc from #1
-6. (need help with this one) Unlock HDD through XBHDM using EEPROM (I have the file, not sure how to unlock the drive to put files in)
7. Use the auto commands (thinking about UDE) to auto-place files to respective directories.
8. Power Down PC
9. Remove HDD->Move to XBox
10. Fire on

And this will make it so that I have a now functional XBox with a replacement dash?

=========

Does this boot *into* the new dash, or do I have to run another software exploit through MechAssault to access the dash files?
(or alternately use a modchip in order to get to the respective dash by default)

Would appreciate any help you can provide, especially with #s 1 + #6. Or any corrections if I'm missing steps or thinking wrong. Kinda freaked out about the whole thing, scary having a system fizz on ya, but hey- I can still play games on it, so no worries, just would like to see this through to the end.

Thanks again for the speedy reply, and hopefully next I check back I can get rolling on this smile.gif

Edited by Shindere, 02 March 2005 - 09:41 AM.

#5 avatar1

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE(Shindere @ Mar 2 2005, 08:46 AM)
Thanks! So far, I have deduced this as the steps needed:

1. Make XBox Boot Disc with XBHDM (What directory should I put the EEPROM.bin file into)
2. Get HDD out of XBox
3. Power off PC
4. Connect HDD into PC (PRI/MAS)
5. Fire up PC with XBHDM Boot Disc from #1
-6.  (need help with this one) Unlock HDD through XBHDM using EEPROM (I have the file, not sure how to unlock the drive to put files in)
7. Use the auto commands (thinking about UDE) to auto-place files to respective directories.
8. Power Down PC
9. Remove HDD->Move to XBox
10. Fire on
And this will make it so that I have a now functional XBox with a replacement dash?

View Post

ad 1)
XBOXHDM builds the boot cd from a folder on your pc, that folder includes the folders "C" (this is where you put in the files that will be on your xbox' C-partition) , "E" (this...E-partition, can be left blank, since TDATA, UDATA and CACHE folder are created automatically when missing) and "EEPROM" (this is where you put your eeprom.bin)

ad 7)
when you chose to rebuild the drive, all files from the C & E folders are put automatically in place. no need to copy manually.

when hooking up your xbox hd make sure it is the only(!) device on IDE1, cd-drive should be on IDE2 - works better that way. and - some PC BIOSes do not work with locked drives, no chance there...the just freeze. in that case -> other pc or modchip.

there is a brilliant tutorial on this: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=244043

if you put the uxe-complete2.1 package(newer box:fonts 71, read the readme.txt!) in C you dont need anything else. not even a working MSdash. my advice would be - read the xboxhdm tutorial, get uxe-complete, put the right files in C and EEPROM, leave E blank (or create empy UDATA,TDATA & CACHE folders), burn the cd, rebuild the harddrive. and try to use the unix tools for locking/unlocking, they seem to work better. and lock the drive when your done. with your EEPROM.BIN, not some scribbled down password...

good luck.

if all fails -> modchip smile.gif

Edited by avatar1, 02 March 2005 - 10:02 AM.

#6 Shindere

Shindere

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:01 AM

thanks again smile.gif

#7 avatar1

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts