• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jakoe420

jakoe420

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:37 AM

I've read over everything so many times, I am actually starting to get dumber, so let me ask a question...I've softmodded my xbox by a hotswap, and evox is working great ...now I want to put in a new 80 GB HD. I don't really understand if I need to transfer my eeprom over ...I've read some that say YES but others say it doesn't matter if I used the swap trick because the drive is already locked?...My shitty thompson drive will not read anything, so I can't use a boot CD or the like in my box. I'm pretty sure I can prepare my new drive using xboxhdm, but do I need the eeprom? I really just want to put the new 80 GB HD in my PC, format it for the XBOX, then slap it in the box.....surely I am making this way more difficult than it needs to be...

#2 javamocha2000

javamocha2000

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:31 AM

If you already know howto hotswap then you can skip some of the steps.

http://supertrick.ne.../softmod003.asp

#3 FallsInc

FallsInc

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:52 AM

the eeprom is a chip on the xbox, and its job is to store your serial number, mac address, online key and a few other lines of numbers.. when you upgrade your HD, all you do is take the unique number that the xbox generates from all the data in the eeprom, and locks the hard drive to that number.. then only the xbox that produces the same number can access it.

all you have to do is make an evox backup of the HD, and use a tool called xboxhdm to format and install apps again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users