thefatness

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, retro games, xtreme sports, football
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:54 AM

Ok, I've tried the tuts to make the USB cable for the xbox and I cant get it to work. First, I tried making one so I can connect a keyboard/mouse up to my xbox. No luck =[. So, I did the opposite. I tried making the cable where I can connect my xbox controller up to my pc. Again, no luck. I've got all the wires matched up (I can see all colors =]) and still no luck.

Theres that outer wire/metal casing like thingy, I've been told its the coax (or a common), and I just butcher that everytime. Do I have to be careful and also connect the two coaxs? I've read 3 tuts and none of them say anything at all about the coax. Please help guys!

Thanks

Edited by thefatness, 03 March 2005 - 01:55 AM.

#2 sypha

sypha

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:58 AM

You do know that you cant just hook up a keyboard to your xbox and expect it to work right? I mean there are only specific applications that support a keyboard for xbox.

#3 thefatness

thefatness

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE(sypha @ Mar 2 2005, 07:04 PM)
You do know that you cant just hook up a keyboard to your xbox and expect it to work right? I mean there are only specific applications that support a keyboard for xbox.

View Post

Ha yes. I do know that. You know how a keyboard has the lights for when you have "Caps Lock" "Scroll Lock" and "Number Lock" turned on, they light up? Well, when I connect it to cable they flash really quick and then nothing. I can press any of those 3 buttons until they fall off the keyboard but the light wont turn on.

I also tried hooking up an Optical mouse. Again, when I plugged it in the light flashed really quick and then nothing. I figured that if the light stayed on, then I have a good connection and did it right. Sorry, forgot to mention that I tried the mouse before the keyboard idea.

The main reason I made the cable was to autoformat my jump drive so I can use it as a memory card and transfer files (attempting a softmod here) from my PC to the jump drive, and then to the xbox. That didnt work, so I bought a memory card and made the cable for the other way (xbox controller -> PC) so I could try the same thing (put files onto the memory card and then take it out and put it in the xbox)

Edited by thefatness, 03 March 2005 - 02:08 AM.

#4 celinedrules

celinedrules

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:24 AM

You don't even need a tutorial for that. All you have to do is connect the same wires together. What type of keyboard is it? Is it a genuine USB keyboard or is it a ps/2 keyboard w/ a USB adapter?

#5 thefatness

thefatness

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE(celinedrules @ Mar 2 2005, 07:30 PM)
You don't even need a tutorial for that. All you have to do is connect the same wires together. What type of keyboard is it? Is it a genuine USB keyboard or is it a ps/2 keyboard w/ a USB adapter?

View Post

Yes, I understand that this is very simple but my question lies in the COAX part of the wire! Do I need to be careful with it so I can solder them together or does it not matter? If it doesnt matter, why in the hell is NIETHER one of my damn cables work?!

No, the keyboard is not a genuine USB. Right now, that is the last thing on my mind though. I want my damn Xbox Controller -> PC to work!

#6 Zdemon29958

Zdemon29958

welcome to my underground lair..

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:19 AM

No, the coax part of the wire doesn't matter (strip it back) just solder the coloured wires together (leave out the yellow wire). I also wraped up the wires individually then taped up the whole thing. (I used a usb 2.0 to printer cord to connect to the computer).

This is what mine looked like.
http://i2.photobucke...58/image004.jpg

Edited by Zdemon29958, 03 March 2005 - 08:26 AM.

#7 thefatness

thefatness

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(Zdemon29958 @ Mar 3 2005, 01:25 AM)
No, the coax part of the wire doesn't matter (strip it back) just solder the coloured wires together (leave out the yellow wire). I also wraped up the wires individually then taped up the whole thing. (I used a usb 2.0 to printer cord to connect to the computer).
This is what mine looked like.
http://i2.photobucke...58/image004.jpg

View Post

ok thank you. thats what I was looking for

#8 sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:33 PM

For the controller to PC I always groundthat coax to the metal arround the controller port....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users