jeeproject

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 08 March 2005 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Mar 7 2005, 08:53 PM)
If you think desoldering braid is better you cant properly use a solder sucker. A Solder Sucker can make quick work of desoldering allsorts of chips and such from PCBs. A very handy and cheap tool.

I CAN properly use a solder sucker and still prefer desoldering braid. I know my abilitys and how to properly use every tool I own. Which is a vast collection being a Carpenter and Computer Maintenance Tech. Do I always use my tools properly? No I don't, I often find my self improvising depending on the situation.

Just because I prefer desoldering braid does not mean I can't properly use a solder sucker. A very very bad assumption on your part.

#17 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE(jeeproject @ Mar 8 2005, 04:02 AM)
I CAN properly use a solder sucker and still prefer desoldering braid.  I know my abilitys and how to properly use every tool I own.  Which is a vast collection being a Carpenter and Computer Maintenance Tech.  Do I always use my tools properly?  No I don't, I often find my self improvising depending on the situation.

Just because I prefer desoldering braid does not mean I can't properly use a solder sucker.  A very very bad assumption on your part.

View Post

I must highly disagree. As many people may know I'm the master of improperly using tools or perhaps using the wrong tool for the job. My car mods are always the stuff that stories are made of as I'm a HUGE proponent of cutting pieces off rather then unbolting things. At work I went from a part time design guy to full time as I was always making up new uses for power tools when doing production work. cool.gif I can fix almost anything, but am very willing to admit that often there is a better method or a safer one or a quicker one or all 3. Soldering work is not one of them however.

I've found that solder suckers can much more quickly remove solder from a hole. Especially in cases where there's a pin through it in the way, (Think pin header.) I can desolder a pin header in under 30 seconds and have left a completely solder free set of pads/holes with which to start a new. It's just not as easy with a desoldering braid. I like desoldering braids. I find they clean up messes and such very well. But they are not a replacement for a solder sucker by any means.

#18 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE(fhslacrosse13 @ Mar 7 2005, 06:57 PM)
is there a house hold substitute for soldering flux?

View Post

Lemon juice would work in a pinch. Yes, I'm serious.

And even though I have some good braid, I still prefer a solder sucker for the LPC.

#19 jeeproject

jeeproject

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE(Perplexer @ Mar 7 2005, 09:19 PM)
I still prefer a solder sucker for the LPC.

I agree with that but still prefer desolder braid for general removal of solder.

#20 freakk123

freakk123

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:39 AM

Hmmm... i take the middle position...

Desoldering a 1.0 LPC: desoldering braid
Desoldering Pins: solder sucker

I still use desoldering braid for most tasks, but it varys depending on the situation... i like solder suckers for bigger jobs...

#21 pb2themax

pb2themax

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Car and Home audio
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:35 AM

A good solder-sucker is nice to use for components that you don't want to overheat. Sometimes you have to keep the heat on the braid for a while to get it all sucked up. Plus with the braid you have to cut off the used braid kind of often. The Solder sucker can just keep suckin away. (I'm gettin horny). blink.gif

I worked for a company that builds circuit boards for Flight Information Display Systems.

But use whatever you want. It doesn't hurt to own both tools.

#22 morbidpete

morbidpete

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:45 AM

solder sucker on everything but chips..chips..i used braid...low temp for a long time..better safe then sorry..like to solder around 450..nice and safe..gets the job done..keeps the tip clean..solder dosnt get crusty...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users